What are your vices/obsessions?

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
ImmaculateStiletto
ninja with training wheels

Postby ImmaculateStiletto » Fri May 20, 2016 1:49 pm

For a lot of people it is hard to admit this to others.
Whether it is something like you collect yellow care bears or it is something deeper than that. Everyone has vices. Something uncontrollable that they cannot help. I think because society has made it their business to make people feel bad about vices whether big or small that sometimes people start to become ashamed of them. Plus, that makes it so that a person who may want help with their vice, doesn't seek it. Because in seeking the help, it puts it out there that they have this taboo vice and they will be treated as a leper.

On the other hand, there are vices that people will praise and make some one seem like they are a hot shot. It will make a name for the person. Example... I LOVE LOVE LOVE SHOES. I have over 200 pairs of shoes. (Very true). It's so bad I have a shot glass in the shape of a shoe, a wine stopper, and a bottle opener in the shape of a shoe. I'm obsessed with Tinkerbell, Yoda, and make up. I go into a store and see any of these things it is an impulse in my soul that I must buy an item, to add to the ridiculous collections that I already have. Yes that is the reason one of my nicknames is stilettos, BUT it is still a vice. It is something that can become unhealthy just like any vice. Do I admit to all of them, very much so. BUT the question is, do I want to stop any of them? Nope not at all! I am not ashamed of them, it is just who I am. Unfortunately for me it doesn't help that my vices, have helped to in a way elevate me to some type of "coolness" level, or level where people want more of it from me. WHich I really don't care about because I do it for me. But for others it's kind of what keeps them going. They thrive off of it.

But I feel like it is unfair to judge a person by their vices. Again, there are some deep dark vices that people have and they don't know how to tear away from it, and it does consume their life and sometime ultimately destroy the person. You don't know what may have started them on the path but this has become who they are.

Do they just not want the help?
Are they scared to admit this?
Do they feel they will be judged forever?

What are you vices or obsessions?
What are you uncontrollably addicted to?
Have a Blessed Day
Hugs N Kisses :)
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri May 20, 2016 4:04 pm

Right now there is nothing I am "uncontrollably" addicted to... The closest thing to that I have ever been would be smoking cigarettes, which I did for about 21 years. I quit cold turkey about 6 years ago now, coming up on seven.

I suppose that you could call my current vice or obsession my PC, and the activities that go along with it. There have been times where I have unplugged and have been fine with it, but PC gaming and the internet in general are my hobbies and I love and enjoy participating in them. I do not feel ashamed or embarrassed about it at all even though many people stigmatize gaming and gamers as losers, slackers, etc... if anything it pisses me off. I would actually not mind one bit unplugging completely and living off the grid. ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
ImmaculateStiletto

Postby ImmaculateStiletto » Sun May 22, 2016 9:08 am

Feydakin wrote:Right now there is nothing I am "uncontrollably" addicted to... The closest thing to that I have ever been would be smoking cigarettes, which I did for about 21 years. I quit cold turkey about 6 years ago now, coming up on seven.

I suppose that you could call my current vice or obsession my PC, and the activities that go along with it. There have been times where I have unplugged and have been fine with it, but PC gaming and the internet in general are my hobbies and I love and enjoy participating in them. I do not feel ashamed or embarrassed about it at all even though many people stigmatize gaming and gamers as losers, slackers, etc... if anything it pisses me off. I would actually not mind one bit unplugging completely and living off the grid. ;)

You remind me so much of my little brother. You two would get along so well.
Also I agree with you totally in regards to gamers being stigmatized as losers and slackers. Something I think is totally unfiair. My brother is a gamer and he is surely not a slacker. Plus I know numerous other gamers. It just happens to be your thing. But don't group all gamers into one box. That's where I get annoyed when just because a person loves doing a certain thing they are labelled as the most negative aspect of it. There are gamers who have lives and quite surely hold jobs and do what an "adult" is suppose to do. Then there are ones that do match the stigma to a tee.

The one thing I thought that I wouldn't be able to control is my ganja intake and low and behold, I stopped cold turkey about a month ago and it really hasn't been something that I have been like I need, or a must have it.
Have a Blessed Day
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sun May 22, 2016 8:10 pm

ImmaculateStiletto wrote:
Feydakin wrote:Right now there is nothing I am "uncontrollably" addicted to... The closest thing to that I have ever been would be smoking cigarettes, which I did for about 21 years. I quit cold turkey about 6 years ago now, coming up on seven.

You remind me so much of my little brother. You two would get along so well.
Also I agree with you totally in regards to gamers being stigmatized as losers and slackers. Something I think is totally unfiair. My brother is a gamer and he is surely not a slacker. Plus I know numerous other gamers. It just happens to be your thing. But don't group all gamers into one box. That's where I get annoyed when just because a person loves doing a certain thing they are labelled as the most negative aspect of it. There are gamers who have lives and quite surely hold jobs and do what an "adult" is suppose to do. Then there are ones that do match the stigma to a tee.

The one thing I thought that I wouldn't be able to control is my ganja intake and low and behold, I stopped cold turkey about a month ago and it really hasn't been something that I have been like I need, or a must have it.

Congrats to both of you! quitting is not easy! I left cigs before I was truly addicted... that singe in the back of my throat from Marlboro Reds was a delight every light up. this was all back in middle and high school though. I quit as they became more of a pain in the ass and more expensive to keep up with. Ganj I quit to lower my tolerance. When you acquire the nickname "Big Smoke" in college, its time to reflect on yourself. When id come home, my friends would roll a j, and id be rolling the next few, and id get this "WTF?" look from them. one just wasnt enough for me. I quit for a couple months to lower my tolerance, then I tried it again and just got that paranoia feeling, so then I quit it for good. It makes sleep a lot harder, but im getting that under control too.

My Vices - Chicken nuggets/tenders and binge watching shows. It needs to stop. I dont have time for it, but I make time for it I dont have. Its not good. Ive been easing out of it little by little and im not as bad as I used to be, but its still pretty bad.

As for the chicken, Ive been cutting my outings and ordering more diverse things little by little. I keep reminding myself of my fitness goal for summer and it helps a little. Those delicious magnificent bastards getr the ebst of me after ive been drinking and im at a bar or on the way home from a bar. The temptation is so strong!!!
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat May 28, 2016 2:54 am

congrats, yes, for teh quittings ya'lls! if it makes you feel better, i'm so happy to hear this news most def.

i quit smoking cigs last March, but moved the nicotene habit to vaping. so i just sorta traded one for another, but at least the air is a little better, there are no nasty ashes or stains, and the potential to burn down the house is greatly reduced.

like Feyd i guess nothing "uncontrollable" except the need to somehow express myself creatively.
and perhaps to be a smartass. :P

but on the level you're talking about, i have a supreme collecting bug. been going on since i was about 8 - my dad was a collector and lover of science fiction/horror/fantasy genres - and received my first geeky autograph from a Star Trek actor. ever since i loved to grab up memorabilia from the stuff i love. then i turned it into a business. so i now get to fund my collecting by buying, trading, and selling entertainment memorabilia, collectibles, and comics. it's taken me across the country to various conventions, meeting all kinds of amazing fans, celebrities, and people in the industry, and i've had the time of my life in the process!
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:13 am

ImmaculateStiletto wrote:What are you vices or obsessions?
What are you uncontrollably addicted to?

These two questions explore the dark recesses of my brain. lol.

That being said, its safe to say I am pretty obsessed with learning and ferrets.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImmaculateStiletto

Postby ImmaculateStiletto » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:25 pm

I have now become obsessed with dogs being that I now work in a doggy daycare. My other half stays getting pics of little dogs in his inbox. I also think he understands it is a low key hint for down the road if we do decide to take the step and move in together. But when I walk into work and all these dogs come running to great me, it is such a feeling of happiness. They don't care anything about me ya know. Skin color, orientation, none of it. They just want love love love and to hope I have a treat. They also like to be picked up and carried around or just sit in my lap and nap. Two things that I wish I could do rofl!]
Have a Blessed Day
Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:27 pm

I have one of the worst addictive personalities. I have kicked hard drugs no problem (well the w/d was a problem) but don't even wanna consider giving up ChapStick. Yup, bonne belle lipsmackers. I was 11 & I saw an 8 pack that came on a necklace. I saved my allowance & bought it. My dad found out & called me an idiot. Kept asking me " u using all that lip shit". He asked constantly! So every time he was around I'd apply more. Over time my lips got used to the balm creating moisture & stopped creating its own. I wound up spending a few days in jail one time where they wouldn't allow me to have any & my lips got so dry the top layer dried up & peeled off. Its crazy. I have a layer on at all times now. I carry at least 2 at all times & I even keep a tube under my pillow at night. I don't know how anyone can kiss me. My lips are probably always greasy but on the plus side I always smell like fruit. O know its not super common but it is an addiction I'm not alone with but even I gotta admit its weird. Especially since I managed to kick heroin. I guess I just cross addicted but whatever ChapStick's cheap, legal & won't take away from my duties as a mom so I figure I can justify it and the ChapStick stays. I'm 30 now been using a tube &a half a week since the age of 11 at roughly $2 a tube I've spent soooooo much money. I love it though so this vice although pricey in the long run definitely stays
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:40 am

ImmaculateStiletto wrote:But when I walk into work and all these dogs come running to great me, it is such a feeling of happiness.

Dogs are so fun and so lovable. My dog died a few years ago and I cant bring myself to get a new dog. Plus, the ferrets take up enough of my time. I guess Im a one dog kind of guy. haha.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Psy
Neck Veins & Deep Inner Bellows...

Postby Psy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:09 am

I love codeine, I love nicotine, I miss etizolam and rough sex with militant feminists from universities.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:41 am

I stopped smoking for at least 5 years (probation), then I smoked far a couple then I quit again for about 10 (kids) then I smoked again for a few, then I quit for about 3 years (jobs, peeing in cups). Now I smoke again.
Image Image
est 1953

girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:15 pm

I started smoking cigarettes again :(
I had quit for almost 10 years.

Some years I would buy one pack and smoke it around the holidays and that was it.
This time it's six months later and I'm still buying them.
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:17 pm

Not that kind of smoking
Image Image
est 1953

NaranjaRa

Re: What are your vices/obsessions?

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:03 pm

i think i've developed an addiction to these little Japanese toys called Bearbricks...

O_o
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Re:

Postby ink » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:28 am

girlapaloo wrote:I started smoking cigarettes again :(
I had quit for almost 10 years.

Some years I would buy one pack and smoke it around the holidays and that was it.
This time it's six months later and I'm still buying them.

yooo.. ive been stuck in a loop. or at least it feels like that sometimes..
sometimes, it is just a faster fix to smoke a cig than to deal with growling in my stomach. it is getting to the point that, im just going to have to deal with this in an absolute fashion.
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:06 pm

Beyond smoking- I might be a little obsessed with my dogs. Not like dressing them up and stuff (they do have winter sweaters tuxes and dresses but that is just photo shoot stuff) They are dogs- all joy and hope. It is a slippery slope- I did buy the QE Vanity Fair so I can frame the cover. I may frame the whole thing in a shadowbox frame.
Image Image
est 1953

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:55 pm

well, bright side.. at least you cant shove them in handbags and purses.. now words for that :|

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:55 pm

ink wrote:well, bright side.. at least you cant shove them in handbags and purses.. no words for that :|

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:01 pm

ROTFLMAO Don't let the short legs fool you. My dogs are not purse dogs. Mojo is a normal corgi and he is a perfect 12 inches to the shoulder but nose to bunny butt he is 34 inches. The body is a full sized dog. At a slender 29 pounds he still takes an extra large sweater because the breed has a broad powerful chest.

They really are like dwarf people- short legs- everything else full size. Head seems out of place on their height but not their body.

Bailey is actually about 1/3 smaller than she should be. She is mostly calm and mellow at the age of 14. She was a preemie and just never got to be full sized but she is still too large to fit in an under seat airline bag. Believe me when I was going back and forth to CA for work I tried. Maybe if I drugged her and put her in fetal position. She did like sitting and laying in the $150 dollar American Kennel Cub Dog tan leather airline bag I got her but it just didn't go over her head. She usually sleeps with her head up unless we have played hard.
Image Image
est 1953

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:30 am

bump

Return to “Lifestyles General”