How to remove fruit flies

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:52 am

I let bananas sit out too long like an asshole. Now i have fruit flies like an asshole. Im trying to rid of these fruitflies like an asshole.

So far ive tried apple cider vinegar with a drop of dish soap (it keeps them from escaping the liquid, ensuring their drowning says the webz. This got rid of about 80%, now im dealing with the last bunches, and theyve spread to the bathrooms of the house, like assholes!. everything is quite clean, believe it or not.

Anyone have other tips for ridding fruit flies, like an asshole or not?
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:44 pm

We battled those assholes last summer. The only thing that got rid of them finally 100% was winter... We did all the usual tricks and traps you'll find on the internet, and none of them seemed to be the silver bullet. At some point during the winter though the last of them seemed to die off and we haven't seen any since. ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:00 pm

Fuck me..... It's summer..... Winter isn't really winter in the desert. Thanks for the info tho.

It seems the apple cider vinegar and drop of dish soap is working really well. I only saw 2-3 in each room now. My friends made fun of me so bad, I probably shouldn't admit to this but:

"Riv what are you doing?"
"Changing out the trap. There's like 20 dead in here. It might not smell sweet anymore. Not to mention I don't want them to see all their dead brethren and not jump in"
"They're not highly intelligent you fool! They're not going to realize that and they're not going to secretly plot against you while you sleep or anything."
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:21 pm

Just keep up with the traps, no standing water, open garbage, fruits, vegetables or plants they can breed in. They breed like rabbits on crack so you really need to stay on top of everything like a fiend... I just didn't have time for it and my housemates are fucking slobs, so it didn't help. :D
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Psy
Neck Veins & Deep Inner Bellows...

Postby Psy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:22 pm

In Israel they fly up into the sky and release hundreds of thousands of sterilised males that then mate with the females who proceed to lay unfertilised eggs. No pesticides needed :D
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:34 pm

ha i have battled those assholes many a season. try getting them and having 3 cats, with litter boxes that you can't really seal off completely.

good news is, they only live for 3 days. bad news is, they really do seem to double their numbers every 12 hours or so. i did a breeding experiment when i was in school.

vinegar soap traps are the best, most cost-effective way to at the least tame them, along with shutting down possible egg-havens. bear in mind they can use anything moist and organic to grow their armies. and with bad infestations like Feyd said, you kind of just have to wait until the weather changes again to be completely free. unless you consult a professional exterminator i suppose...
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:34 pm

We do have a once/month big guy. Bad news is he was here Saturday, so 4 more weeks!

The vinegar soap traps are working really well tho. I'll stick with them.

Fucking bananas!
Jax
ninja with training wheels

Postby Jax » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:51 pm

Yeah, apple cider traps are the only thing that works for us too.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:35 pm

They've definitely thinned out the herd. I feel like there's 3 smart ones in each room now :D

Hopefully these gross rot spawn fucks die real soon!
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:21 am

When they invariably fly in my face I suck them into my mouth and eat themmmmm.... grosses out my girlfriend. ;)
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:45 am

ROFL!!!! Yeah I'd rather not do that. God knows what they landed on last.
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:28 am

mmmm like flying caviar!

hate to break it to ya, but even worse things crawl in your mouth while you sleep

booga booga! :lol:
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:40 am

I'm aware. The average human eats 8 spiders a year in their sleep. Or so thats the last statistic someone told me, not checked tho.

I have a feeling you're going to be hidden in my house in a corner with a yellow sheet over you, Beetlejuice style, waiting for me at my most vulnerable to jump out and tell Booga Booga, similar to the boogeyman on Toejam and Earl, the original one.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:57 am

We ended up buying these traps for 15$ on amazon and they work WONDERS!!!! 6 plastic "traps". each trap is a dome with a hole in the center that leads down about halfway to the surface. it comes with this attractant which is made up of sweet sugary stuff they cant resist, then they drown in it cause its stick and creates a pool. you fill these traps with the liquid until the liquid hits the fill line. in 24 hours over 70 have been killed in the whole house. not many yet remain, just a few.
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:15 am

I need to get rid of ants....and poison is not an option....grrrrrrr
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:44 am

PhlawlessPhelon wrote:I need to get rid of ants....and poison is not an option....grrrrrrr

Where?
ImageImage
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:51 am

pherret room, in corner floorboard....im laying out that toro gel stuff but that shit takes forever and I cant/dont want to put my ferrets in the room while there are ants.

I used to have some cinnamon/clove mix that worked decently, but I ran out...I'll just go grab some more tomorrow. that plus the gel overnight should do the trick.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:47 am

Raid makes some pretty effective ant traps u can buy at lowes or Home Depot if ur in the states!

Return to “Lifestyles General”