Personal nicotine vaporizers

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:18 pm

MAK wrote:No one really broke this down for me. Is this like a healthier way of smoking or some shit?

Kind of. Essentially what you've got is a small device which contains at least a battery and a button. You attach to that device a small tank to contain the e-liquid, which is made up usually of a combination of Propylene Glycol (an anti-microbial, flavor enhancer, and food additive), Vegetable Glycerin (a higher viscosity glycerol derived from vegetable oil, which helps bind the vapor "clouds" together and thicken the liquid), nicotine in a liquid base (either PG or VG), and food-grade flavorings. Inside of the tank is what's called an "atomizer", which is the actual bit doing the vaporizing. It consists of a small metal housing that contains a coil usually made of kanthal wire (an alloy of Iron, Chromium, and Aluminum), and stuffed with cotton as a wick for the juice to soak into and make even, direct contact with the coil. When you press the button, it sends electricity through the atomizer and into the coil, which heats up the liquid around it and begins to create the vapor that you breathe in, pulling in air through airflow holes in the tank, which pass through the center of the atomizer (the cool air keeping the coil from overheating and immediately burning the wick), and up the "chimney" which connects to the drip tip, the part where you actually put your mouth.

Functionally that's how most vaporizers work. There are others with other features like variable voltage/wattage, temperature control, different types of coil and wick materials and designs, etc. People have done some crazy stuff with vaporizers these days, but what I've laid out is about the gist of it. Yes, it has been used as a smoking cessation method for MANY people so far, and I have heard nothing but positive results from them. Every "accident" I have seen, where a mod just suddenly exploded or something, always seems to boil down to user error or user ignorance.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:06 am

MAK wrote:No one really broke this down for me. Is this like a healthier way of smoking or some shit?

My initial reaction is to say yes. But more research is necessary.

Okay now that that's done. Essentially you have 3 ingredients in the juice. Propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin (sometimes both), flavoring, and nicotine.

There have been countless studies on both the propylene glycol (or vegetable glycerin) and nicotine. Both are actually relatively safe. The only real unknown is the inhalation of areosolized flavoring.

But let me put it this way.

With smoking a cigarette you are inhaling smoke, and a couple thousand other chemicals.

When vaping you are inhaling 3 chemicals.

Yes that is a serious over simplification but meh.
Shumaza
ninja with training wheels

Postby Shumaza » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:16 am

I would argue that they is actually PLENTY of research on it and the verdict is relatively in. There have been studies to show that what you're inhaling from a vape is actually "cleaner" and safer for you than the air you breathe with all the trillions of different crap in it. doubly so with cityscapes.

Point being. Vaping doesn't give you lung cancer or COPD or any of the horrible illness' associated with smoking.

Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:12 am

Unless you are vaping certain flavorings like artificial butter you should be fine.
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:39 am

It is safer than smoking....

I prefer a flavor I get locally that tastes like Strawberry Starbursts. They also have a good flavor that tastes like Mt. Dew.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:48 am

Okay about time to buy a new "mod" ecig mine is kicking the dust after a year. Which is damn good in this world...

So should I just stick with the Eleaf 50w or is there something else out there worth looking at?

Things I like
Internal battery
VW and VV
Damn good battery life
Pocket sized but not too small
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Thu May 19, 2016 11:07 am

The fact that most companies are switching to only making 3 and 6mg juice is starting to bug me
Shumaza
ninja with training wheels

Postby Shumaza » Mon May 23, 2016 7:11 pm

Rwn wrote:Unless you are vaping certain flavorings like artificial butter you should be fine.

That's actually bunk as well. The chemical that they use for the butter flavor actually has no evidence to show that is causes popcorn lung and those who have contracted it seemed to have done so because of the other elements in the factories where all that popcorn is being produced. Either way most if not all of the juice companies now have stopped using that flavor agent anyways.

Return to “Lifestyles General”