gahhhhhh FLEAS!!!!!!!! plz halp?

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

gahhhhhh FLEAS!!!!!!!! plz halp?

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:40 pm

yup. we seem to have them...and i don't know who is more miserable, the kitties or my husband (for some reason they don't bite me but he is eaten alive). our cats are all indoors and in 10 years this is only the 2nd time we've ever dealt with them. had them 3 years ago in Florida and after learning they've become immune to pretty much every OTC medicine you can get we were able to give the cats baths, immediately get them out and bomb our place properly. now with one extra cat (we have 3) and a MUCH larger home, they've gotten out of control quickly.

so here's the idea: we will be getting an exterminator as well as getting the fuzzies to the vet for some good meds and somehow have to coordinate both events to happen at the same time. we've been giving the cats baths here & there but it's not good to keep doing because it dries out their already-ravaged skin. one of my boys is allergic and has scabs forming around his neck. breaks my heart.

has anyone else ever dealt with a similar situation? how do you get the animals free of fleas AND your place free of them without cross-contamination? any home-remedies appreciated!!
NaranjaRa

Re: gahhhhhh FLEAS!!!!!!!!

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:13 pm

so our flea treatment had to be delayed due to flooding, loss of power, air & hot water...

the cats are afraid to walk on the floor now. all 3 are practically living in places as high off the ground as possible...on shelves, the top of the sofa and chairs... our youngest was even sleeping on a thin ledge over a doorway. the oldest is living in the bed and won't eat unless we bring it to him, and won't go potty unless we carry him to the box every 6-8hrs. it's really distressing to everyone in the house.

no one has any temporary suggestions or advice? /62
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Re: gahhhhhh FLEAS!!!!!!!! plz halp?

Postby ink » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:39 pm

my wife said, use one room for the cats with a door that you can close them in. put all the toys, food, litter box, etc.. in the room. get those frontline drops. Chesshire said, she got it cheap from menards.. but anywhere really. but the idea is to basically, use the room to isolate them. knockout the problem in 2 phases... one for the room and cats, the other is the rest of the house. she said, its tedious but it works as you work seperately, as to not cross-contaminate.
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:42 pm

*oh she also said, that upholstery spray works really good! spray it on the furniture, window sills, doorways n stuff...

/nod

Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:18 am

I have three cats, we order revolution from overseas. It is cheaper than the damn vet! Not that I do not like their vet, but paying 50 dollars per cat for vet visit, then paying for the medication. Nope.. not happening... so look into that,

As for the other stuff, I have used everything, from natural to non-natural to kill fleas. Find the right combo, with OTC stuff like the Frontline spray, unless those bitches be immune. In NC, they are immune to just about everything. I have also used hair spray to kill them.. or maybe that was termites.

I wish ya luck with your flea problems. Good job getting the bug killer guy out, he can also treat outside of your home. You bring in fleas on your shoes without even knowing it, if they happen to be living in your grass or a sand/dirt patch near your home. That could also be me, cause I live on a dirt road, so many fleas outside!
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:23 am

yes, especially with indoor animals that dont get a lot of exposure to the outside. could be windows they sit in and in alot of cases, our vet said that humans usually bring them inside. i used to cut a lot of grass for a living and last year my cat got them from me, i assume.. just have to be proactive once they are under control, i guess

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:14 pm

omg you guys thank you for the advice! we just got some of the spray for a little temporary relief until we can make the next step. and i'm doing a LOT of laundry.

the exterminator we spoke to said a lot of people think that if they vacuum a bunch it helps to control them when instead the vibration from the motor makes the eggs hatch faster so they end up making the problem worse. we had NO idea!

i actually used to give my oldest revolution...yup paying for the vet AND the medication. and they won't give it to you unless they see EACH cat so multiply that by 3, every 6 months or so? i might have to hit you up on that source, Sky. we lived with the immune mo-fo's in FL so i think they've reached that point wherever it's mostly warm all year-round.

pretty sure they came in on us and through the windows where the kitties lay on nice days. we have rabbits that run around in our yard and i'm pretty sure those little guys are hopping flea-hotels. /62

Return to “Lifestyles General”