Empaths and Emotional Vampires

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
User avatar
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 am

Postby Phara » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:38 am

We talk about this a lot here. Quite a few of us at the top are highly empathic. I think you have to be if you plan on moderating dozens and eventually hundreds of people via text in boxes. You have to sense the person through the font and write in such a way that they feel and understand you.

Over and over, not just here, I run across people that truly drain me. Some intentionally, most unintentionally... I think we all know them. Those whose life always sucks. And they HAVE to tell you about it. FFS. (cry)(rage)(guilt)(rubs-head). Girlapaloo joked about making a Narcissist Survivor Group.

I hate the "Looooooooooook at Meeeeeeeee" crowd. I truly do sense their need and then guilt myself into listening to their issues... BUT... THEY NEVER FUCKIN STOP...

I'm making a conscious effort to do away with them. If I notice that I only give in our relationship, I'm cutting you out of my life. I highly suggest others do the same.


Thoughts? Experiences? Commiserations?
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image

Image Image
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:53 am

for most of my life i've been the Listener to my friends and family. they know that if they pour their hearts out to me, i don't just understand them, but i FEEL them. we're talking about the kind of empathy where all i need to do is hear someone start to choke up, or heck, just see a quick TV commercial with someone crying and i am able to get pulled right into that space with them and tear up as well.

it really messed me up when i was young. sometimes i didn't know what emotions were mine, and what i was feeling that i'd taken on from someone else. a brief but extremely rewarding study of Tai Chi helped me learn The Way of Water...how to become less of a sponge and more a mirror. this technique is used in self-defense as you reflect back whatever energy someone else sends you. it has helped me to a large degree over the years...practice more and more and one gets stronger at it.

i'm also not the kind of person who likes to blast my personal shit to everyone with functional earholes. my philosophy is basically, Everyone Has Their Shit, so don't bother me with yours and i won't bother you with mine. i am a bleeding heart though, so i still too often end up being the shoulder to cry on...and i'll be crying right along with...

unless you're a natural empath, you just could never understand how absolutely DRAINING it can be.

add to that being a true introvert, and the energy it takes to put on the Social Face as well as wearing my Shoulder Heart...? well, honestly it just doesn't leave me much energy or time to work on my own issues as often as i'd like to.

or need to.

//more on this to come...
User avatar
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 am

Postby Phara » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:18 pm

NaranjaRa wrote:for most of my life i've been the Listener to my friends and family. they know that if they pour their hearts out to me, i don't just understand them, but i FEEL them. we're talking about the kind of empathy where all i need to do is hear someone start to choke up, or heck, just see a quick TV commercial with someone crying and i am able to get pulled right into that space with them and tear up as well.

it really messed me up when i was young. sometimes i didn't know what emotions were mine, and what i was feeling that i'd taken on from someone else. a brief but extremely rewarding study of Tai Chi helped me learn The Way of Water...how to become less of a sponge and more a mirror. this technique is used in self-defense as you reflect back whatever energy someone else sends you. it has helped me to a large degree over the years...practice more and more and one gets stronger at it.

i'm also not the kind of person who likes to blast my personal shit to everyone with functional earholes. my philosophy is basically, Everyone Has Their Shit, so don't bother me with yours and i won't bother you with mine. i am a bleeding heart though, so i still too often end up being the shoulder to cry on...and i'll be crying right along with...

unless you're a natural empath, you just could never understand how absolutely DRAINING it can be.

add to that being a true introvert, and the energy it takes to put on the Social Face as well as wearing my Shoulder Heart...? well, honestly it just doesn't leave me much energy or time to work on my own issues as often as i'd like to.

or need to.

//more on this to come...


THIS.

Also... can you post something about this be a reflection not a sponge thing? There are no words to how much I need this. It's gotten so bad that my brain has started going from zero to migraine without any kind of buildup these days. I'm stretched so thin, I cannot deal with people's shit.
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image

Image Image
Rwn
Missing In Action...
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:57 am
Location: Seattle

Postby Rwn » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:23 pm

Where to start... I'll go with empath

Empathy I hate this word, but that's simply because of a job in a call center. But they really did drive the point home, and I realized as I worked there that it's not nearly as much BS as I first thought. I've always been pretty good at understanding what people are going through and quickly picking up on who they are. (This isn't a perfect art mind you) But I've realized that you have to rely on this to make sure you can truly understand another person. I can guarantee that if you think back to the few people who you've just disliked right off the back it's because of a lack of empathy on their part.


And emotional vampires, people who seem to suck the life right out of you, feed on you, and take whatever you are going through and try to make it theirs. Man oh man these are great... Mainly because it's always a slow build, so you don't seem to notice it right away. They latch on and seem like decent people but as time goes by you find yourself drained after dealing with them and you have no idea why. Drama seems to intensify when they are around. A small issue for some reason becomes huge. When they are around its never a case of moderation everything I'd always on the extreme edge of the spectrum.

Dealing with an emotional vampire sucks. The only way to fix the issue is to literally cut all ties as soon as you realize what's happening. This isn't an issue to skirt around, treat it like a bandaid quick and easy.
Image
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Postby ink » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:38 pm

i feel this.. :/

operating within the realm of empathy is so tough. the nature in me is so selfish and does not look to others plights with repsect to the full context of the experience involved. but the empath in me feels, a lot. overwhelming in many cases. to the point, where i absolutely feel compelled to interact or engage somehow. but what happens when someone sees this, and attempts to cash in on your high level of feelz and ends up exploiting you, draining you and all around taking all the positive life force around you so that you need to literally recharge..?? this is actually something i deal with often. i have love for people. i hadnt always, but i always felt.. i was just corrupted enough to be able to turn off the feelz long enough to forget. well, my life has changed so much within these last few years that i began to act on these feelings and engage in any way i can. im talking about real people, not just via the internet.. but in everyday passing and such. for a while i was afraid, because when you over feel sometimes you feel like you overstep. that said, i would hide away from the world so that hopefully i would not have to deal with the intense emotions accompanied by this connection to heart. didnt work. my thoughts betrayed me, even in seemingly coincidental encounters or even across vast amounts of realestate. You see, this is where i believe that this is an ultimate connection to love and its many facets. love cannot be contained in a box, it is not just limited to those who are in your presence but expands throughtout all of space and time. it is omnipresent, omnipotent and connected to a infite higher. a memory or thought can trigger it, a movie, a brief interaction, a song, anything.. so ive come to accept this gift as this gives anchor to purpose in my life.

now...
i say all that, to say this; there is a line. there is a point when all one gives over, all that they are, all that they have, all that they want to be, into another. for that other persons sake. so that they can succeed. you see, lovers are givers and if one truly is a lover (in the most truest notion of this concept), they will give all that they have to help another for what i like to call, the greater than effect. > example, i have two apples, another has none but is hungry.. i give one apple, we both have full bellies. :D problem solved right!?

wrong! people are wicked. we are all snakes to some degree, and some of us like to take, some of us like to hoard, and some of us are just plain theives. some of us...
this is where the wisdom comes in. how does the acient chinese proverb go..? "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Beautiful, so simple its stupid. but the application of this is so tough sometimes. at this point in my life, i dont think i could have the heart to turn another away because they were thirsty, but if i find myself stuck holding the water hose, its time to re-evaluate. sometimes we become the culprits of co-dependance (and actually feed into destructive behavior). we enable. we end up doing all the fishing for that "man," and he becomes dependant on that everytime. this leads to the entitlement. i fed that man for 7 days, yet he never wanted to learn to fish himself, so he expects to be fed from now on.. :| all ive done to myself, is now add another mouth to feed.

so, herein, lies the wisdom. to understand first, get knowledge and learn, and then the application of that knowledge, is wisdom. so i guess the question i ask myself often is, when is the point where my help received in a teachable manner and when is it almost self-defeating because the helpee is not being edified?

which, brings me to the truth part, that hard feeling that wont go away, nagging at your consciousness, that raw bit of reality that has to be revealed before its too late. its hard, it hurts, but both parties know that it is inevitable... and many times, the longer we delay, the worse it gets. ive actually changed how i think of this... in some cases, the pruning must be sharp, quick and efficient. the shears must be sharp and it needs to be done in a quick and decisive manner.. other times, some people need extra love, because the repetition involved and the fact that i never gave up on them, actually made a difference. this would alter how i look at certian things.. for example, if i give something away, it will be impossible for that man to steal it from me.. as i am not attached to 'whatever' because i released it. regardless, of their own guilty intentions, all they did was receive. but this is all situational. situation dictates and it requires a bit of intuition. i am not an expert, by any means, it still occurs and will probably occur in some fashion today lol. but its all a work in progress and one could look at this as a introspective marker, but definitely one that i pay attention too.
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:25 pm
Location: USA

Postby Zansi'Vara » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:41 pm

I have always felt like, and been described as, empathic to a fault. I think it's one big reason I became an author, it's an outlet for the emotional turmoil I'm trying to process from myself and people around me. I have been tricked before, and taken advantage of because of it. Like ink said, I had gotten another mouth to feed without even noticing, but I felt like it was the right thing to do because I felt like all she needed was to know she was loved. I was ignorant and foolish to believe it, but that is what emotional vampires do to empaths, no?

I have spent many years working to learn how to turn off and on that empathy, how to adjust my mental processes so that I am less vulnerable to being taken advantage of, but so far I haven't made much progress. I think, being able to recognize when you are thinking and acting solely through the emotional part of your brain is important to the process. When you let your rational mind fall by the wayside and don't let it process the situation, you are setting yourself up for failure and pain. The best method I've found in these situations is to try to distance myself enough that I can re-evaluate my behavior as objectively as possible, and try to consciously process it through my rational mind.
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Postby ink » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:48 pm

my sister used to always tell me not to make big decisions based on emotions, because eventually theyll change. but i like how you put it.. kind of let the smoke clear, the dust settle and make a level and informed decision. ofc, being empathic to a fault and then trying to remove yourself ffom an emotionally charged situation is easier talked about lol
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN
Posts: 912
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:53 pm

Postby girlapaloo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:52 pm

As a highly empathic person, I tend to get "targeted" for that kind of energetic vampirism. It's not always done with malicious intent, but sucks either way!

This is a topic that I want to address somehow (I was only half joking about the narcissist survivor support group o_O) but it broaches on many overlapping related subjects. It's a beast. Like talking about mental health in general. Yikes. It's like putting a puzzle together...? You gotta start somewhere, but it's overwhelming to pull all the puzzle pieces out of the box at once, ya know?
Image
Image
Image
Spoiler: show
Image Image
User avatar
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:25 pm
Location: USA

Postby Zansi'Vara » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:11 pm

ink wrote:ofc, being empathic to a fault and then trying to remove yourself ffom an emotionally charged situation is easier talked about lol


Yeah, that seems to be the problem. xD If I can physically leave the scene, it tends to help clear my head. If I cannot, I have to focus really hard on suppressing that inner empath in order to clear my head. Like I said, it's a work in progress, but it's all I've found that seems to help.
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
DJ_Darkside
Chunks of Cool
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:24 am
Location: Ottawa

Postby DJ_Darkside » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:56 am

This, my Queen, is straight from the Satanic Bible and I think it may help:

Mr. Satan wrote:SATANISM represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic vampires.

Many people who walk the earth practice the fine art of making others feel responsible and even indebted to them, without cause. Satanism observes these leeches in their true light. Psychic vampires are individuals who drain others of their vital energy. This type of person can be found in all avenues of society. They fill no useful purpose in our lives, and are neither love objects nor true friends. Yet we feel responsible to the psychic vampire without knowing why.

If you think you may be the victim of such a person, there are a few simple rules which will help you form a decision. Is there a person you often call or visit, even though you really don't want to, because you know you will feel guilty if you don't? Or, do you find yourself constantly doing favors for one who doesn't come forward and ask, but hints? Often the psychic vampire will use reverse psychology, saying: "Oh, I couldn't ask you to do that" - and you, in turn, insist upon doing it. The psychic vampire never demands anything of you. That would be far too presumptuous. They simply let their wishes be known in subtle ways which will prevent them from being considered pests. They "wouldn't think of imposing" and are always content and willingly accept their lot, without the slightest complaint - outwardly!

Their sins are not of commission, but of omission. It's what they don't say, not what they do say, that makes you feel you must account to them. They are much too crafty to make overt demands upon you, because they know you would resent it, and would have a tangible and legitimate reason for denying them.

A large percentage of these people have special "attributes" which make their dependence upon you more feasible and much more effective. Many psychic vampires are invalids (or pretend to be) or are "mentally or emotionally disturbed." Others might feign ignorance or incompetence so you will, out of pity - or more often, exasperation - do things for them.

The traditional way to banish a demon or elemental is to recognize it for what it is, and exorcise it. Recognition of these modern-day demons and their methods is the only antidote for their devastating hold over you.

Most people accept these passively vicious individuals at face value only because their insidious maneuvers have never been pointed out to them. They merely accept these "poor souls" as being less fortunate than themselves, and feel they must help them however they can. It is this misdirected sense of responsibility (or unfounded sense of guilt) which nourishes well the "altruisms" upon which these parasites feast!

The psychic vampire is allowed to exist because he cleverly chooses conscientious, responsible people for his victims - people with great dedication to their "moral obligations."

In some cases we are vampirized by groups of people, as well as individuals. Every fund raising organization, be it a charitable foundation, community council, religious or fraternal association, etc., carefully selects a person who is adept at making others feel guilty for its chairman or coordinator. It is the job of this chairman to intimidate us into opening first our hearts, and then our wallets, to the recipient of their "good will" - never mentioning that, in many cases, their time is not unselfishly donated, but that they are drawing a fat salary for their "noble deeds." They are masters at playing upon the sympathy and consideration of responsible people. How often we see little children who have been sent forth by these self-righteous Fagins to painlessly extract donations from the kindly. Who can resist the innocent charm of a child?

There are, of course, people who are not happy unless they are giving, but many of us do not fit into this category. Unfortunately, we are often put upon to do things we do not genuinely feel should be required of us. A conscientious person finds it very difficult to decide between voluntary and imposed charity. He wants to do what is right and just, and finds it perplexing trying to decide exactly who he should help and what degree of aid should rightfully be expected of him.

Each person must decide for himself what his obligations are to his respective friends, family, and community. Before donating his time and money to those outside his immediate family and close circle of friends, he must decide what he can afford, without depriving those closest to him. When taking these things into consideration he must be certain to include himself among those who mean most to him. He must carefully evaluate the validity of the request and the personality or motives of the person asking it of him.

It is extremely difficult for a person to learn to say "no" when all his life he has said "yes." But unless he wants to be constantly taken advantage of, he must learn to say "no" when circumstances justify doing so. If you allow them, psychic vampires will gradually infiltrate your everyday life until you have no privacy left - and your constant feeling of concern for them will deplete you of all ambition.

A psychic vampire will always select a person who is relatively content and satisfied with his life - a person who is happily married, pleased with his job, and generally well-adjusted to the world around him - to feed upon. The very fact that the psychic vampire chooses to victimize a happy person shows that he is lacking all the things his victim has; he will do everything he can to stir up trouble and disharmony between his victim and those people he holds dear.

Therefore, be wary of anyone who seems to have no real friends and no appearant interest in life (except you). He will usually tell you he is very selective in his choice of friends, or doesn't make friends easily because of the high standards he sets for his companions. (To acquire and keep friends, one must be willing to give of himself - something of which the psychic vampire is incapable.) But he will hasten to add that you fulfill every requirement and are truly an outstanding exception among men - you are one of the very few worthy of his friendship.

Lest you confuse desperate love (which is a very selfish thing) with psychic vampirism, the vast difference between the two must be clarified. The only way to determine if you are being vampirized is to weigh what you give the person compared to what they give you in return.

You may, at times, become annoyed with the obligations put upon you by a loved one, a close friend, or even an employer. But before you label them psychic vampires, you must ask yourself, "What am I getting in return?" If your spouse or lover insists that you call them frequently, but you also require them to account to you for their time spent away from you, you must realize this is a give and take situation. Or, if a friend is in the habit of calling upon you for help at inopportune moments, but you similarly depend upon them to give your immediate needs priority, you must regard it as a fair exchange. If your employer asks you to do a little more than is normally expected of you in your particular position, but will overlook occasional tardiness or will give you time off when you need it, you certainly have no cause for complaint and need not feel he is taking advantage of you.

You are, however, being vampirized if you are incessantly called upon or expected to do favors for someone who, when you need a favor, always happens to have other "pressing obligations."

Many psychic vampires will give you material things for the express purpose of making you feel you owe them something in return, thereby binding you to them. The difference between your giving, and theirs, is that your return payment must come in a non-material form. They want you to feel obligated to them, and would be very disappointed and even resentful if you attempted to repay them with materal objects. In essence, you have "sold your soul" to them, and they'll constantly remind you of your duty to them, by not reminding you.

Being purely Satanic, the only way to deal with a psychic vampire is to "play dumb" and act as though they are genuinely altruistic and really expect nothing in return. Teach them a lesson by graciously taking what they give you, thanking them loudly enough for all to hear, and walking away! In this way you come out the victor. What can they say? And when you are inevitably expected to repay their "generosity," (this is the hard part!) you say "NO" - but again, graciously! When they feel you falling from their clutches two things will happen. First, they will act "crushed," hoping your old feeling of duty and sympathy will return, and when (and if) it doesn't, they will show their true colors and will become angry and vindictive.

Once you have moved them to this point, YOU can play the role of the injured party. After all, you've done nothing wrong - you just happened to have had "pressing obligations" when they needed you, and since nothing was expected in return for their gifts, there should be no hard feelings.

Generally, the psychic vampire will realize his methods have been discovered and will not press the issue. He will not continue to waste his time with you, but will move on to his next unsuspecting victim.

There are times, however, when the psychic vampire will not release his hold so easily, and will do everything possible to torment you. They have plenty of time for this because, when once rejected, they wil neglect all else (what little else they have, that is) to devote their every waking moment to planning the revenge to which they feel they are entitled. For this reason, it is best to avoid a relationship with this kind of person in the first place. Their "adulation" and dependence upon you may, at first, be very flattering, and their material gifts very attractive, but you will eventually find yourself paying for them many times over.

Don't waste your time with people who will ultimately destroy you, but concentrate instead on those who will appreciate your responsibility to them, and, likewise, feel responsible to you.

And if you are a psychic vampire - take heed! Beware of the Satanist - he is ready and willing to gleefully drive the proverbial stake through your heart!
Image

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain
Image

Spoiler: show
ALL HAIL LIEUTENANT DOCTOR COOLCHUNKIA ESQUIRE THE THIRD JR.!!! Lest she blow chunks of cool up yo asssss!!!
Image
/anna hack! :kiss:
User avatar
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 am

Postby Phara » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:11 am

that was an incredible read darkside. awesome.
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image

Image Image
User avatar
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:25 pm
Location: USA

Postby Zansi'Vara » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:47 am

Thank you for posting that, Darkside! I still have a PDF copy of the Satanic Bible from years and years ago when I was going through my self-deconversion and discovering atheism. I read it cover to cover and tried to take a lot of the concepts to heart, because I felt like most of the philosophy put forward was more applicable and more helpful to modern life than any religious text I had laid my eyes on. Maybe I'll have to dig that back up and read through it again. It might be time for a refresher course. xD
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
Rwn
Missing In Action...
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:57 am
Location: Seattle

Postby Rwn » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:05 am

Updated.

And honestly the satanic Bible is amazing. Really the best self help book there is
Image
User avatar
Brewtality
novice ninja
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Tanzania, East Africa

Postby Brewtality » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:05 pm

You reminded me of this song. Great, great lyrics if you ask me (you didn't).

"Vicarious" by Tool

Eye on the TV
'cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavour
It happens to be like;
Killed by the husband
Drowned by the ocean
Shot by his own son
She used the poison in his tea
And kissed him goodbye
That's my kind of story
It's no fun 'til someone dies

Don't look at me like
I am a monster
Frown out your one face
But with the other
Stare like a junkie
Into the TV
Stare like a zombie
While the mother
Holds her child
Watches him die
Hands to the sky crying
Why, oh why?
'cause I need to watch things die
From a distance

Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies
You all need it too, don't lie

Why can't we just admit it?
Why can't we just admit it?

We won't give pause until the blood is flowing
Neither the brave nor bold
The writers of stories sold
We won't give pause until the blood is flowing

I need to watch things die
From a good safe distance

Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies
You all feel the same so
Why can't we just admit it?

Blood like rain come down
Drawn on grave and ground

Part vampire
Part warrior
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal
Sing to the death rattle

La, la, la, la, la, la, la-lie

Credulous at best, your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men.
Pull your head on out your hippy haze and give a listen.
Shouldn't have to say it all again.
The universe is hostile. so Impersonal. devour to survive.
So it is. So it's always been.

We all feed on tragedy
It's like blood to a vampire

Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies
Much better you than I
Image

Image
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Postby ink » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:23 pm

Rwn wrote:Updated.

And honestly the satanic Bible is amazing. Really the best self help book there is

i disagree.. but opinions and such
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:25 pm
Location: USA

Postby Zansi'Vara » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:35 pm

ink wrote:
Rwn wrote:Updated.

And honestly the satanic Bible is amazing. Really the best self help book there is

i disagree.. but opinions and such


What part do you disagree with, if I may ask?
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Postby ink » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:46 pm

how to be selfish and how to operate with a cold, dead heart is just not really my cup of tea.
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Postby ink » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:47 pm

to each their own tho..
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:25 pm
Location: USA

Postby Zansi'Vara » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:07 pm

I understand that, I think I just took it from a different perspective. Basically, I looked at it while I was reading it as the other side of the coin from most religious thinking, which is very group-oriented. The Satanic Bible encourages you to put yourself first, because everything else in your life stems from you. However, I didn't take that to mean be selfish and cold-hearted, I took it to mean that if you always put yourself out there for others who do not return the favor (like emotional vampires), you are damaging yourself for the benefit of someone else.

More than that, I saw it as a very honest look at altruism, basically outlining how even when someone seems to be doing something entirely altruistically, they are still reaping, at the very least, the benefit of making themselves feel good for helping someone else. The Satanic Bible doesn't stand against this type of behavior, but encourages readers to understand their own motivations and consider cost vs benefit for many situations in life. I think, more than anything, it helped me learn how to balance my young, wild, empathic self so that I wouldn't damage myself so easily when helping other people.

I understand why you wouldn't fall whole-heartedly into it, but like I said, I felt like it was a much more applicable philosophy to modern times than any other religious text had ever put forward.
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
DJ_Darkside
Chunks of Cool
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:24 am
Location: Ottawa

Postby DJ_Darkside » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:20 pm

ink wrote:how to be selfish and how to operate with a cold, dead heart is just not really my cup of tea.


I completely understand why you feel that way. I thought the same thing at first but I realized that it's not selfish and cold hearted to protect yourself from people who bring you down. Helping is one thing but some people either can't be or don't want to be helped. How much crack will you buy the crackhead out of the goodness of your heart before you find yourself destroyed from trying to help? The Satanic bible teaches utmost kindness and respect to the deserving and avoidance of the ones who drain you.

But yes to each their own. I only try to open your eyes to this because this book has brought me places I never thought I would go and I have not regretted a single day since I have picked up this book.
Image

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain
Image

Spoiler: show
ALL HAIL LIEUTENANT DOCTOR COOLCHUNKIA ESQUIRE THE THIRD JR.!!! Lest she blow chunks of cool up yo asssss!!!
Image
/anna hack! :kiss:
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Postby ink » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:31 pm

well i did read the quote dj darkside presented and i completely understand, dont get me wrong. limitations, balance, etc.. within the confines of this particular discussion...i mean i get it, and the practical application thereof in modern times.
but my reference was to the generality of Rwn's opinion of the best self help book there is.. lol
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:25 pm
Location: USA

Postby Zansi'Vara » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:35 pm

Ahhhhh, I see now. Yeah, I don't think any self-help book really works, but I liked the general philosophy of it while I was reading it. I do remember having similar thoughts as I started, but as I got further into the pages it started to really click with me.
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2158
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Postby ink » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:50 pm

DJ_Darkside wrote:
ink wrote:how to be selfish and how to operate with a cold, dead heart is just not really my cup of tea.


I completely understand why you feel that way. I thought the same thing at first but I realized that it's not selfish and cold hearted to protect yourself from people who bring you down. Helping is one thing but some people either can't be or don't want to be helped. How much crack will you buy the crackhead out of the goodness of your heart before you find yourself destroyed from trying to help? The Satanic bible teaches utmost kindness and respect to the deserving and avoidance of the ones who drain you.

But yes to each their own. I only try to open your eyes to this because this book has brought me places I never thought I would go and I have not regretted a single day since I have picked up this book.

i got you bro.. no harm no foul and i understand within the confines of this discussion. completely.

that said, wisdom.. wisdom seems to be the key ingredient seemingly missing from the application of said good deeds.


..and i appreciate you trying to open my eyes, but there is one reason i cannot adhere to satan's bible. eveything has a source, if ive ever accepted this doctrine completely, i would be dead already, because satan would be my spiritual father (shudders) and he has been trying to off me for most of my life.. he seduces me with the lust of my eyes and he entices me with the desires of my flesh and most of all, he pumps me full of pride, in my own arrogance, i begin to trust only in myself and every single time i took/take the bait i fall, hard! its self destuction at its very core, and i have to put up the proverbial stiff arm because his only aim is to have me destroy myself and those around me.. i just cant yo. i see your intentions and ty but i pass
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
DJ_Darkside
Chunks of Cool
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:24 am
Location: Ottawa

Postby DJ_Darkside » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:57 pm

ink wrote:

..and i appreciate you trying to open my eyes, but there is one reason i cannot adhere to satan's bible. eveything has a source, if ive ever accepted this doctrine completely, i would be dead already, because satan would be my spiritual father (shudders) and he has been trying to off me for most of my life.. he seduces me with the lust of my eyes and he entices me with the desires of my flesh and most of all, he pumps me full of pride, in my own arrogance, i begin to trust only in myself and every single time i took/take the bait i fall, hard! its self destuction at its very core, and i have to put up the proverbial stiff arm because his only aim is to have me destroy myself and those around me.. i just cant yo. i see your intentions and ty but i pass



I'm not pushing this on you, please don't think I'm some crazy preacher because that's the farthest from the truth. I understand what you mean when you say "Satan". I must, however, drop this on you to defend us Satanists.:

Satanists do not believe in Satan. Satan to us is a symbol of pride, liberty and individualism, and it serves as an external metaphorical projection of our highest personal potential.

It's about bringing out the best you by aligning your energy with the things that bring out the fire in your heart. Letting your passions burn unhindered and bringing out the same in your fellow brethren.

IF you haven't read it it's definitely worth your time (don't think too hard about all the ritual stuff)

Reading it is something I WILL push ;p
Image

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain
Image

Spoiler: show
ALL HAIL LIEUTENANT DOCTOR COOLCHUNKIA ESQUIRE THE THIRD JR.!!! Lest she blow chunks of cool up yo asssss!!!
Image
/anna hack! :kiss:
User avatar
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!
Posts: 2006
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 am

Postby Phara » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:20 am

Darkside, you seem to know quite a bit about it. A thread would be awesome. I'd love to see discussion on it. Defo. And I understand all sides. To be honest... I'm not a fan for the same reasons as Ink. But... I do respect how well quite a lot of it is written and one can find wisdom from many sources. Ink and I ... we have an odd spirituality, and it's not exactly the same and such... but both of us have seen insane shit. "miracles" and what not. I lean towards the two great laws of the new testament as my guide. God is Love. Treat your neighbor as you would want to be treated. I do think quite a ton of the S.B. is amazing. For instance the bit above is a fantastic read... but central to my ethos has to be a notion of trinity. not the usual. the idea of me, my community, and what we do... I hope that makes sense.
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image

Image Image

Return to “Lifestyles General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests