Who likes to cook?

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
BriarRose
Dark Erotic

Postby BriarRose » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:45 pm

Skywalker wrote:...one of them is Fired Chicken. Being from the south, it is a staple. I am not sure of the recipe that I use, but I do know that I dump more spices than Col. Sanders into my flour mixture. It comes out tasting good. I'm telling ya there is magic in play here.

If you ever figure out the recipe you use, I'd love a copy...mmm fried chicken... :D :D

ImageImage
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:35 pm

BriarRose wrote:
Skywalker wrote:...one of them is Fired Chicken. Being from the south, it is a staple. I am not sure of the recipe that I use, but I do know that I dump more spices than Col. Sanders into my flour mixture. It comes out tasting good. I'm telling ya there is magic in play here.

If you ever figure out the recipe you use, I'd love a copy...mmm fried chicken... :D :D

I found an old Reddit Post that I made a few years ago..

As a Southern woman who has been well taught in how to fry chicken, just know one thing you really can't fuck it up unless you burn it or it is still raw cause you fried the outside too fast.

I use veggie oil, sometimes it is liquid other times Crisco Shorting. I'm not going to lie, some oil is just too damn high and I can't afford them. So I use what I can afford.

As for how to properly fry it, first off make sure that your oil is hot enough. I can now do this now by just looking at it and testing it, I have been making fried chicken since I was nine, I'm now 27. Since you have not been frying as long as I have, here is a site that might help you determine the temp of your oil (Link).

Then there is also the batter or what you coat it in. Everyone does it different. That is why I said you can't fuck it up. I use Soul Seasoning, Salt, Pepper, and other random crap I find up in my pantry. I like to live on the edge. Word of advice stay away from chili powder, used the hot stuff... took years to live that one down.

Just make sure that you get the chicken wet first and then put it in the flour mixture, which by the way I add spices too as well. Hell I add spices to every damn step, minus the oil. I want to make sure that chicken taste like something. Some folks might call this over kill, I have yet get anyone tell me that it didn't taste good, minus the chili powder incident of 1998.

I always put mine directly in the oil when it is hot enough, I don't use bags or other random things, just two cake pans. One to get the chicken wet which is eggs and milk and then the flour mixture. I use cake pans cause they are easy to clean and I only dredge one piece of chicken at a time to make sure that I get full coverage. So by the end, my hands are covered in flour so I just drop that extra into the hot oil, insta crunchy bits.

Also if you do bone in chicken which I no longer really cook cause it is a pain, make sure that you cook it all the way. It does take a little bit longer in my experience. I have since switched to boneless, still keep the skin it is the best part! To me they cook faster and more even.

Oh yes, make sure that you have a chicken fryer. I have one from before WWII. Lovely fry pan. Cast Iron also works really well as it is able to keep heat and that is what you need to in order to make good fried chicken.

If all else fails find the first Southern women you can find who is over 50 and ask her for directions. As every family has their own way of making chicken. So it really is kinda odd. I have seen people cook it in the oven then fry it, I have seen people use a deep fryer, I have seen people use pressure cookers. I even saw someone cook it on an open fire. Granted my mom can make fired chicken on a wood burning stove. That is where them old skillets come in handy. Then there are the different ways of bring it all together to make the perfect fried chicken.

Also don't burn it, nothing worse than burnt chicken and trust me that is worse than adding chili powder.

EDIT: Draining the chicken is very important as well. I have old towels that I no longer use that I keep just for the draining oily things. So make sure that all the oil can drain away and moisture can not build up on the outside of it as that will also kill the crunch.

That is how I explained it 4 years ago..

Good Luck.
BriarRose
Dark Erotic

Postby BriarRose » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:52 pm

YAY!!! Thanks @Skywalker :D :D

ImageImage
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Sun May 01, 2016 8:46 am

Super simple recipes for idiots aka ssri. I should make this a book lol.

Potato salad.

Boil some red or gold taters, be careful not to turn into mush.

Put in ice water to cool and stop cooking.

Cook up some bacon crispy style set aside

Cut potatoes into cubes and put in large bowl

Add a bunch of mayo a little mustard and a splash of Worcester sauce.

Throw in some relish, chopped hard boiled eggs, diced bacon, diced onion.

Sprinkle in some salt, pepper, and paprika.

Mix all together with hands.

Lick hands clean. Add more mustard or mayo to taste.

Once done take and slice a few hard boiled eggs into disks and place on top. Sprinkle with paprika.
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Re:

Postby Skywalker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:24 pm

Rwn wrote:Super simple recipes for idiots aka ssri. I should make this a book lol.

Potato salad.

Once done take and slice a few hard boiled eggs into disks and place on top. Sprinkle with paprika.

I have been making tater salad for years. I have never once put my taters into ice water, nor actually cut them. Instead, I used a tater masher to mash them up just a little bit, that way you have some smooth taters and some chunky taters.

Then again, it is the way that my mom's family make it. Yours is almost the same as ours, minus the onions and bacon. My mom does not eat pork and I just don't really eat meat.

Up north it is called Amish Potato Salad because mustard is added. It looks odd when it is not yellow.

This is a great start and a great way to make it. Maybe I'll try to put the taters into cold water, and then chop them.

Skywalker.
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Re: Who likes to cook?

Postby NaranjaRa » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:23 pm

(I don't really measure, and this one doesn't need to be precise anyway)

NaranjaRa's
/star 11+ LAYER NACHO DIP
/star

Stuff You Need
    * big deep oven-safe casserole dish with lid / aluminum foil
    * 1/2-3/4 lb ground beef / veggie crumbles
    * 1 can refried beans
    * 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
    * 1 can corn, drained
    * 4-5 roma tomatoes, gutted, diced, & chilled
    * 1 2oz can small sliced black olives / 6-8 large black olives, sliced
    * 1 jar of favorite salsa
    * 1 8oz brick of cream cheese, room temperature
    * 4-5 slices (sandwich-size) colby jack cheese
    * 2 cups shredded cheddar / "taco mix" cheese
    * 1 taco seasoning packet (will only need 1/2)
    * sour cream
    * salt, cumin, onion powder, chili powder of choice
    * optional: 1-2 cups guacamole
    * garnish: fresh cilantro
Stuff You Need to Do
    * cook ground meat. when almost totally browned, follow directions on taco seasoning packet but only add about HALF of the contents & water required. set aside to cool off a bit when ready.
    * combine refried beans with a few pinches of salt, cumin, onion powder, & chili powder and heat on stove-top or in microwave until texture is smooth & spreadable
    * once all ingredients are prepared you are ready to start layering in your big dish
    * preheat oven to 375 degrees before you start
    * you want each layer to completely cover the one below without making each layer so thick you run out of room
The Lineup
i've been making dips like this for years & years and success involves planning out the layers, considering flavors versus how liquids, solids, and semi-solids hold together. this is what i personally recommend, but obviously, experiment and share if you improve on this order:
    * from first in to top
    1. black beans
    2. refried beans
    3. salsa
    4. corn
    5. sliced cheese
    6. cream cheese
    7. ground meat
    8. shredded cheese
    * save for AFTER baking
    9. guacamole (optional)
    10. tomatoes
    11. sour cream
    12. sprinkle of black olives & garnish

* cover your creation and pop onto the center rack for approximately 30-40mins until it's hot in the center. it's good to use a long knife to test it out after 30mins and judge how much more time it might need from there depending on your oven's powah.
    * once it's done let it sit for a few minutes before adding the final "cold" layers.

hope u enjoy! (sun)
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Re: Who likes to cook?

Postby NaranjaRa » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:42 am

so for this one, I don't measure when it comes to the SPICES...i will try to approximate but best approach is to always start with small amounts and keep adding incrementally to your own taste

my friend taught me how to make Costa Rican style black beans & rice after he traveled there and learned it from some locals who lived out in the jungle.
this is an easier spin on that original recipe.

NaranjaRa's
/star COSTA RICAN RICE & BEANSESSS
/star

Stuff You Need
    * large non-stick skillet with lid
    * 1 cup uncooked plain white rice
    * 1 15.5-16oz can black beans, drained but un-rinsed (the "silt" is part of the flavor in this dish!)
    * 1 14.5-15oz can chicken broth
    * 2/3 cup chopped onion
    * extra virgin olive oil (i prefer light for this recipe but regular works fine too)
    * celery seed, cumin, coriander, garlic, cilantro leaves, chili powder of choice (i use chipotle or ancho)
    * optional: hot sauce of your choice
Stuff You Need to Do
    * combine a few pinches of celery seed, cumin, coriander, garlic, and chili powder in a small dish
    * heat dry skillet on medium-high burner, pour in spice mix and toast briefly until the aromas become prevalent (do not burn!)
    * quickly remove from heat pour the toasted spice mixture back into a small dish
    * add about a tablespoon olive oil to the skillet and return to medium-high burner
    * when oil is heated, pour in the uncooked rice and stir until well-coated with the oil. add toasted spice mix back in and stir again to coat rice evenly
    * continue heating rice while stirring frequently until rice starts to turn opaque - light golden brown in color
    * remove from heat, dump rice into dish and set aside
    * add about a tablespoon olive oil to the skillet and return to medium-high burner
    * when oil is heated, add chopped onions and stir until well-coated. stir frequently and cook until soft and caramelized
    * as soon as onions are cooked, return rice to the skillet
    * add can of chicken broth, black beans, a couple pinches of cilantro, another pinch or two of garlic, cumin, coriander, chili powder
    * stir and bring to boil. cover immediately, reduce heat to low.
    * simmer for 20 minuets without lifting cover
    * when water is absorbed stir and fluff entire dish, let stand uncovered for 5 minues
    * serve hot with a few dashes of hot sauce to taste!

leftovers store for @5-6 days in the fridge
enjoy! (sun)
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Re:

Postby ink » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:01 am

Rwn wrote:Super simple recipes for idiots aka ssri. I should make this a book lol.

Potato salad.

sounds delicious right about now. /nod
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Return to “Lifestyles General”