Who likes to cook?

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
Ron
grasshopper

Postby Ron » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:29 am

So I've been branching out for about two years to learn how to actually cook, today I made steak following this recipe and it came out delicious.

I'm basically still amateurish at best and have half a proper kitchen but I'm working on it!

Also if any of you have any awesome recipes to share post them here!
ImageImage
Shumaza
ninja with training wheels

Postby Shumaza » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:35 am

medium rare right?

Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:10 am

I like cooking. Rarely do it just for myself (ramen FTW!) but when I have guests or the Lady and myself, I quite enjoy it. I'll post some recipes when i have a little more time.

Shumaza wrote:medium rare right?

Actually ribeye/rib steaks (because of the fat content) can tolerate medium well or even well done (not my preference) so it is a good choice for those heathens that want "burnt" meat.
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:14 am

Cooking <3

Cooking is a passion in my family. And as a family that cooks, one thing is guaranteed. We have no recipes.

So one of my favorite simple things to cook is mac and cheese. Not the box stuff, that shit is horrible.

So to give a sort of recipe... God I sick at this so no measurements because I don't use them.

Make a basic roux using butter and flour.
Start by preheating your pan over a medium heat. Add the flour and stir until it begins to brown. The second it begins to brown start adding butter until it forms a paste. Throw in some minced garlic at this point.

These next few steps must be done very quickly or else it's ruined.
NEVER use pre shredded cheese, the anticcaking agent will ruin everything and make it grainy.

Once a paste is formed quickly add about a handful of cheese and stir, once it begins to melt but before it burns add whole milk
Alternate between adding cheese stirring until it melts and adding milk until you reach the amount and consistency desired.

If the sauce begins to act funny you can add more butter to raise the fat content.

Now you will season. I suggest salt, pepper, paprika, and a tiny touch of cayenne.

And now put cooked pasta on plate and pour sauce over. Or mix pasta in with sauce your choice.

This is how I cook... I don't measure anything I just make it work...
Pawly

Postby Pawly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:35 am

For my fellow lazy ass ramen lovers. <3 I personally love Nong Shim brand.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Shumaza
ninja with training wheels

Postby Shumaza » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:43 am

I used to cook professionally many moons ago but the lifestyle just wasn't for me.

anything past med rare is a waste of good steak, there are some places that refuse to cook a steak past it and i completely agree with them.

Rwn, try making your bechamel *white sauce* sauce first and use a thing of heavy whipping cream mixed with the whole milk or sub the whole milk for half and half THEN once the sauce has cooked a little so that the flour has expanded fully turn the heat to low or off and add your cheese. it will prevent the cheese from separating and becoming grainy. Also if you like to bake it try crackers mixed with crushed garlic, butter, salt and pepper. if you're really going all out get a variety of cheeses other than sharp cheddar. one or two creamier cheeses *including cream cheese* give it a nice smooth balance and a bit more complexity.

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:13 pm

In my effort to be more healthy I cook vegis a couple of times a day. Usually just have a green veg lunchish but over the winter I crock pot a lot and eat things like red beans red rice and quinoa fro a few days in a row.
Image Image
est 1953

Pawly

Postby Pawly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:21 pm

Shumaza wrote:.......
anything past med rare is a waste of good steak, there are some places that refuse to cook a steak past it and i completely agree with them......

Agreed but the customer is always dumb. I did/do hospitality for 20+ years. Front and back of house.

Corgimom wrote:In my effort to be more healthy I cook vegis a couple of times a day. Usually just have a green veg lunchish but over the winter I crock pot a lot and eat things like red beans red rice and quinoa fro a few days in a row.

Fuck I love beans!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:31 pm

Corgimom wrote:In my effort to be more healthy I cook vegis a couple of times a day. Usually just have a green veg lunchish but over the winter I crock pot a lot and eat things like red beans red rice and quinoa fro a few days in a row.

I have similar tastes. Love making my own dressing for salads, generally oil/vinegar based with a variety of other ingredients. I was a vegetarian for a long time. I can steam, bake, saute all veg. But, I really like bbq veg...flavor is amazing. Beans are a must. I'm obsessed with black beans...so cheap if you soak/season/boil yourself. Salsa, Guacamole, hummus...etc.

Now that I'm not a vegetarian...poultry & fish are in the mix. I guess this makes me a pescatarian (always ate dairy and eggs).

Do not let the list above fool you into thinking I'm healthy.There is nothing I won't add cheese to and no nacho is left behind. I will cook the shit out of pizza, mac'n'cheese and hell yes ramen! The healthiest thing about me is I hate fast food. The weirdest thing is I don't like dessert. I always get an odd look when I mention it.

*edit* Cast Iron skillets and charcoal grills are excellent modes of cooking. Fun kitchen gear I recommend that may not be common. Mortar and Pestal. Tortilla maker. Would love to hear some other suggestions.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:39 pm

I like to cook, but it only happens occasionally.
Is this where we share our lazy ninja recipes? :p

Love me some ramen noodles - skip the flavor packet (MSG is bad, mmmkay?) and make my own broth :)

Pawly Edit: OFFTOPIC MSG CONVO MOVED HERE http://ninjaevolution.net/forums/viewtopic.php?id=657
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Okay, since you're all so lovely, I'm going to share my lasagne recipe. BEWARE: this is certifiably awesome.

First things first: I'm not going to put in any measurements because I don't use scales or anything when making this. It's all by eye/taste.

White Sauce
Butter (lots)
Flour
Milk
Cheese (Cheddar and Parmesan)

Melt the butter over a medium heat. Stir in flour once the butter has all melted until you end up with a nice consistency of buttery goodness. It should be semi-solid so you can move the mixture around the pan and bits will be left behind. Once that's done start to add the milk, stirring constantly as you do so. Add enough milk so that you now have a nice thick, creamy mixture. Now throw in your cheese and keep stirring. You should end up with a cheesy mixture which drips very slowly from the spoon when you take it out of the pot. Add a little nutmeg and set aside.

Meat Sauce
1 large carrot
2 white onions
4 cloves of garlic
Meat (1/2 pork and 1/2 beef works well)
Tomato paste
Blanched tomatoes/canned tomatoes
Cherry tomatoes

Ok. First off, put plenty of olive oil in a nice deep frying pan. Next, GRATE your onions into the pan followed by the carrot. Mix it all up until it's nice and brown and smells great. Crush your garlic and add that in, frying for another minute or so. Next up add your meat, brown and then stir in enough tomato paste to give everything a red tinge. now simply add your chopped tomatoes to make the sauce. After some cooking, throw in some cherry tomatoes (they're awesome when they explode in your mouth and deliver a package of sweet, tomatoey goodness!) and set aside.

Right, so now take your lasagne dish out. Pour in some of the tomato sauce and add a layer of lasagne sheets. Cover with some cheese/white sauce. Now you need to add some RICOTTA cheese. Lay it on nice and thick but make sure to get full coverage. Next, take some green pesto and drizzle some of that shit on there. Don't overdo it. You just want to pesto to add in a little bit of extra flavour. Now, on top of that add a layer of thinly-slied beef jerky (I use biltong which is the South African version. Now add another layer of pasta and cover with the rest of the meat sauce. Add a final layer of pasta and then the rest of the cheese sauce. Cover with a mix of grated cheddar, mozarella and parmesan. Finish it off with some breadcrumbs or cubed crusty bread and stick it in the oven until it's ready.

Serve with some crusty garlic bread and soak in all the glory!

cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:15 pm

Green onions are the best. They're easy to grow (you just stick the roots in the ground from the ones you buy at the supermarket once you've chopped about 2/3rds of the stalks down) and stay alive through winter. Once you chop them up you put them in a baggy to freeze and you can take those around anywhere.
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:36 pm

//pending

i haz my own recipes to share too :)
Syreeta
grasshopper

Postby Syreeta » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:43 am

yay for food

yay for cooking

mmmmmm grrrr yummy.
Candeeoke
The Quiet Storm

Postby Candeeoke » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:09 am

I loathe cooking. I can cook lots of things and do so almost nightly but I don't enjoy it one bit. I even have tasty recipes but the kids don't like most of them and that wears on me.
ImageImage
Syreeta
grasshopper

Postby Syreeta » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:10 am

Ever since I gave up the smack, ..a few years ago now bit still....ramifications( my personality type )

.I've become increasingly passionate about food

I make my own chocolate, and prepare alot from scratch

its actually helped me because when I cut certain things out of my diet, the addiction urges dissapeared , and I can get quite high on meditation and through other ways like raw cocao....thats a true high, no joke

Imageimage
Syreeta
grasshopper

Postby Syreeta » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:18 am

Candee wrote:I loathe cooking. I can cook lots of things and do so almost nightly but I don't enjoy it one bit. I even have tasty recipes but the kids don't like most of them and that wears on me.

its tough to please people,..yep...I hear you, that would take the pleasure and make it a chore

i'd whip you something up if i could!! Its one thing I can do for people...cook, and feed them
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:41 am

A really simple yet delicious recipe I like (well liked to cook when I had a gas range) to cook.

Lemon, basil, garlic, white wine, chicken... That's it.

I start by precooking the chicken about 50% I use chicken breasts so this is about 12 minutes in a 400 degree oven F

Then get the pan nice and hot, throw the chicken in the pan with some butter

Cook until about 90% done. Now add the lemon and basil.

Okay time for some fun if you have a gas range. Now add the white wine, just a splash. Flames everywhere.

About 1 minute before you pull it off add the minced garlic. And a splash of more white wine for more fire.

Serve over rice, and use the liquid left in the pan as a sauce pour over the chicken and rice.
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:46 am

Alright another super simple recipe.

Stuffed mushrooms.

Ingredients are

Large mushrooms of your choice
Asparagus
Bacon
Parmesan (not the powdered stuff)
Butter
Salt pepper.

Start by removing the stems and fins, set them aside.

Melt the butter it will be needed soon.

Take the stems and remove the gross bits and then chop the rest finely

Now, chop up the bacon I suggest precooking it about 75%.

Chop up the asparagus as well

Put all into a bowl with the Parmesan, salt, pepper and butter.

Blend using an immersion blender.

Spoon into mushroom caps.

Bake at 375 degrees F until the mushroom is a nice shade of cooked... Normally 10 to 15 minutes

Eat.
Pawly

Postby Pawly » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:58 pm

Germany has it's priorities straight!

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:58 pm

I loooooooooove to cook! I bought a mortar and pestle when I tasted the best damn guac I've ever had in my life to try and recreate it. I'm not there yet, but getting closer.

My newest attempt was also my best attempt at any dish I've ever made: zucchini pasta with sautéed mushrooms and roasted tomatoes over grilled chicken breast. I did everything separate, kept it warm, combines it with the hot noodles I did last, and holy shit! Came out so good I wanted to fuck the empty plate when I was done! I'll post my recipe a bit later :D
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:30 pm

I don't know if I "like" to cook really? Maybe? I like to cook for my girlfriend sometimes. Cooking for me is a little stressful because I'm such a clean freak and I clean up AS I'm cooking, and I hate it when people are in the kitchen with me when I'm cooking. :D

Lately I've been doing a lot of slow cooker stuff, stemming from the fact that I LOVE chili... I make a mean chili at least. ;)

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:46 am

Slow cookers are amazing.

My favorite slow cooker really I've ever.

Kalua pork.

Pork butt around 5 ish pounds
HAWAIIAN sea salt (I do t understand why but this seriously makes a massive difference)
Liquid smoke.

Super simple, stab it all over with some forks or whatever you have laying around.

Rub it with the smoke and salt

Cook on low heat for well for ever like 16 hours. This depends on the size of your roast.

Flip once about half way through

Shred while in slow cooker using forks.

Serve straight from cooker with juices dripping all over the place.

Serve with king Hawaiian rolls and Hawaiian macaroni salad.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:16 am

Rwn wrote:Slow cookers are amazing.

My favorite slow cooker really I've ever.

Kalua pork.

Pork butt around 5 ish pounds
HAWAIIAN sea salt (I do t understand why but this seriously makes a massive difference)
Liquid smoke.

Super simple, stab it all over with some forks or whatever you have laying around.

Rub it with the smoke and salt

Cook on low heat for well for ever like 16 hours. This depends on the size of your roast.

Flip once about half way through

Shred while in slow cooker using forks.

Serve straight from cooker with juices dripping all over the place.

Serve with king Hawaiian rolls and Hawaiian macaroni salad.

Reading your recipe made my mouth water!!! Mmmmm :drool: now imma have to invest in a slow cooker.

I love to cook and bake. I have some pics of my creations. I'll post recipes for them onvtgexweekebdcwgen I have more time.

My double fudge chocolate chip brownie recipe. It's a box recipe modification. Can be made "Earthy/green" if you know what I mean.

My Zucchini noodle pasta with sautéed mushrooms and roasted cherry tomatoes over grilled chicken breast:

My Guac:

BigMush
Drunkin Beta Style

Postby BigMush » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:10 am

double fudge chocolate chip brownie..

**Awesome Singnature**

ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Lifestyles General”