Who likes to cook?

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
Syreeta
grasshopper

Postby Syreeta » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:39 am

mmmmm..yummy
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:34 pm

[s]WINTER[/s] SUMMER IS COMING!
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:37 pm

Feydakin wrote:I don't know if I "like" to cook really? Maybe? I like to cook for my girlfriend sometimes. Cooking for me is a little stressful because I'm such a clean freak and I clean up AS I'm cooking, and I hate it when people are in the kitchen with me when I'm cooking. :D

Lately I've been doing a lot of slow cooker stuff, stemming from the fact that I LOVE chili... I make a mean chili at least. ;)

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/940964_1224227217593746_2164852541988135938_n.jpg?oh=a42a880661a4a712c793f93fd68cfec9&oe=5776EA3E

Chili is the only reason I have a slow cooker! My secret ingredient is half a bar of semisweet dark chocolate. :)
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:57 pm

Chili with chocolate , eh? Interesting I'll have to give that a try. My new secret is instead of ground beef(which i sometimes add ground pork to, mmmmm) is using stewing beef chopped into tiny cubes. takes a little longer to prep but so much more "meatier".
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:04 pm

Pawly wrote:Chili with chocolate , eh? Interesting I'll have to give that a try. My new secret is instead of ground beef(which i sometimes add ground pork to, mmmmm) is using stewing beef chopped into tiny cubes. takes a little longer to prep but so much more "meatier".

Yes! I like my chili pretty darn spicy so that little hint of sweet from the chocolate is perfect with it.
Also, after the meat has been browned, I like to deglaze the frying pan with beer, then continue the recipe.
Yum.
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:40 pm

BigMush wrote:double fudge chocolate chip brownie..

https://media3.giphy.com/media/1ktwfTjwaQzde/200_s.gif

Super easy to make an earthy herbal version too. Just simmer in the amount of needed oil for 10 mins, throw it in, let it simmer for another 25, continue recipe.
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:01 am

Idk chili and chocolate... I've heard about it plenty but I'm not a huge fan of most chili flavors or of most spices things...

If you come at me with a jalapeño I'll slap you. I can't stand their flavor.
Pawly

Postby Pawly » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:12 am

Gotcha. Bland with a side of bland for Rwn.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:02 am

Forgot to take a picture before I choked it all down, but my roommate and I just made lemon ginger chicken with organic mashed potatoes and brown gravy. Soooo good, but sooooo filling. xD
ImageImage
ImageImage
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:37 am

I enjoy Asian spice but not Mexican spice lol.

So something that has great flavor and builds in heat nit something that has great flavor and punches you in the face with heat
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:38 am

girlapaloo wrote:
Pawly wrote:Chili with chocolate , eh? Interesting I'll have to give that a try. My new secret is instead of ground beef(which i sometimes add ground pork to, mmmmm) is using stewing beef chopped into tiny cubes. takes a little longer to prep but so much more "meatier".

Yes! I like my chili pretty darn spicy so that little hint of sweet from the chocolate is perfect with it.
Also, after the meat has been browned, I like to deglaze the frying pan with beer, then continue the recipe.
Yum.

I would try chili with chocolate if someone else cooked it. I feel like I'd fuck it up too much if I cooked with those 2 ingredients. That's a very interesting combo.

Zansi'Vara wrote:Forgot to take a picture before I choked it all down, but my roommate and I just made lemon ginger chicken with organic mashed potatoes and brown gravy. Soooo good, but sooooo filling. xD

THAT sounds excellent!!!! I would pay for that! ::drool:: graaaaavyyyyyyyyy
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:45 am

I like to cook, but I am weird about what I cook.

My favorite things to cook are:

Mashed potatoes
pork chops
Steak
Chicken Fried Rice
Orange Chicken
Cookies/Brownies/banana bread
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:56 am

PhlawlessPhelon wrote:I like to cook, but I am weird about what I cook.

My favorite things to cook are:

Mashed potatoes
pork chops
Steak
Chicken Fried Rice
Orange Chicken
Cookies/Brownies/banana bread

Aw snap! I'd be very interested in your orange chicken and fried rice recipes, if you have the time to link them or post them.

Also, when you do pork chops, do you brine them first??? I did once and now I do it every time.

Bigass bowl of room temp water with about half cup of table salt, stir, let pork choke rest in there for 60-90 mins. Then I season them, grill them about 6 minutes each side, and they turn out SO GOOD and crazy juicy!!! The bribe helps them not dry out.

I know there's other methods, even ways to make them so tender they fall apart in your mouth! But I find this the most easiest/time effective method to do it. I know that's not what cooking is about, but I'm so limited on time on weekdays.
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:05 am

Actually, I do nothing special for pork chops. Im down to learn some tips for better pork chops though.

For Fried Rice, I try to mimic Panda Express' recipe, here are two links I like:

http://www.food.com/recipe/panda-express-copycat-fried-rice-483421

http://dinnerthendessert.com/panda-express-fried-rice/

For orange chicken, I would fry the breaded chicken, but the hard part has been finding a sauce that mimics Panda Express' flavor. I found a great store bought sauce a while back but it was discontinued. So, I need to investigate a new method of making the sauce.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:36 am

Cool, thanx for the info!!!

I do find brining them then grilling leads to more flavorful chops. Grill on medium until the middle hits the tempura tire needed to cook pork, 165 degrees I think? The seasoning I use is either "Lawry's Seasoning Salt" or Fsmius Daves Barbecue Rub" both of them have different, but very desirable tastes/flavors.
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:41 am

The secret to cooking is patience.

If you can get yourself a smoker you will become the most popular person in the neighborhood.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:05 am

As much as I love eating meat, smokers look to be pretty expensive! You've got to be DAMN dedicated to invest in one of those and get proper use out of it. I don't think I'm at that level. I like slow cooking or baking my meats on a low temp over time. Or I simply go out for barbecue. It's just so much easier!

I don't mind cooking the very occasional 3 hour prep time meal. But I can't see me getting the proper use in order to justify the expense of it.

Not to mention, I would NOT want to be the most popular person on the block :P
Fuck that noise!!! I like the friends I have and the people I talk to. I wouldn't be happy in a situation where a bunch of people come to me because they want something from me. I like fucking off and doing my own thing uninterrupted. Even when my doorbell rings now, it's usually just a neighbor coming to chat or say the garage door is open. Even then I don't want to answer sometimes. Friends are cool don't get me wrong, but I like to be doing the selecting, not having a bunch of people selecting me. I don't like the general public that much.

I don't know how Phara does it. I'd be so different if people kept coming to me with all sorts of things. I shutter at imagining that reality for myself.
Pawly

Postby Pawly » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:52 pm

Rivoc wrote:As much as I love eating meat, smokers look to be pretty expensive! ....

Lots of hacks to convert or make really cheap smokers on youtube. From disposable cardboard box style to to full on custom jobbies.
Also found this mini smoker. Free shipping! http://www.amazon.com/Kingsford-SC2032408-KF-Charcoal-Water-Smoker/dp/B0190MOV80/ref=sr_1_139?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1461513004&sr=1-139&keywords=smoker
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
BriarRose
Dark Erotic

Postby BriarRose » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:59 am

Bubbles wrote:So I've been branching out for about two years to learn how to actually cook, today I made steak following this recipe and it came out delicious.

I'm basically still amateurish at best and have half a proper kitchen but I'm working on it!

http://i.imgur.com/VECUrBT.gif

Also if any of you have any awesome recipes to share post them here!

This is my go to steak...made it today with mushroom gravy, roasted baby potatoes and spicy corn...nom nom!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4

Oh and CAST IRON SKILLET (best cooking investment ever!)

ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:17 am

girlapaloo wrote:

Yum.

Yeah I was skeptical about chocolate in chili at first... I tried it a couple times last year and liked it. Not every batch, but occasionally. ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:41 am

This is almost the exact model my family has http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/pro-series/pro-series-34.html?dwvar_pro-series-34_color=BRZ

Yea it's pricey but damn is it worth it if you love your meat
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:41 am

Pawly wrote:
Rivoc wrote:As much as I love eating meat, smokers look to be pretty expensive! ....

Lots of hacks to convert or make really cheap smokers on youtube. From disposable cardboard box style to to full on custom jobbies.
Also found this mini smoker. Free shipping! http://www.amazon.com/Kingsford-SC2032408-KF-Charcoal-Water-Smoker/dp/B0190MOV80/ref=sr_1_139?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1461513004&sr=1-139&keywords=smoker

Im going to have a serious talk about this with my roommate/best friend. i do love my meats, LOVE!!! I just hope it wouldnt turn into a gadget that would just sit there due to too much time or something. Im going to have to do more research and really think about this one. Thank you for the info and links!
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:17 am

That smoker will get the job done but is a bit more involved than the automatic smokers. They have fancy feeding systems and lighting systems. All you have to do is out in the pellets and then it one.
Pawly

Postby Pawly » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:55 pm

Yeah yer gonna want 4-6 hours for good smoking.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:32 pm

I have been cooking since I was about 9. My parents thought that girl-folk needed to learn proper cooking. I really never minded that, it kept me from doing yard work. Anything is better than yard work, especially with the old man (he was like little Hitler).

I have a few gotos that I enjoy cooking, one of them is Fired Chicken. Being from the south, it is a staple. I am not sure of the recipe that I use, but I do know that I dump more spices than Col. Sanders into my flour mixture. It comes out tasting good. I'm telling ya there is magic in play here.

The other is mashed potatoes, not the one from the box. Real ones. I can whip those up quickly if need be, I tend to use enough butter to put down an ox and cream cheese, never forget the cream cheese. As someone who is allergic to lactose... the family loves them.

I also make Goulash, mom swears by it, so I had to learn to cook it. It is an easy meal to make. There is no set recipe other than you need noodle, meat, tomato stuff.. and anything else you can find. My mom's grandmother made it out of necessity, my mom's mom made it because her children like it, I make it because it is easy, I am lazy.

I have others, known for my baking. I enjoy baking rolls, cakes, and biscuits (the southern kind, not the cookie kind). I have made enough cookies for a whole firehouse, about 350 of them, for Christmas one year. They loved them and requested more; I never got a chance to bake them, as I moved (sorry Louisville FD.)

As for stuff to cook with. I tend to go hunting when I got thrifting. I like old cookware. It is tried and tested, and it is also cheaper than the stuff at the store. I have a collection of casserole dishes (another thing I enjoy making), as well as glassware. I have a collection of cast iron wear, that is from the early days, as in they were mostly used on wood burning stoves. So they do not work well on flattop stoves, right now I have the old burner type, so one pan at least gets some use.

-------------------------------------------------
There is a lot of women's history tied to the kitchen. There is a lot of female agency tied with it, within a home it is the one place where a woman was allowed to be herself. Google Women History of the Kitchen or something along those lines, it is interesting to read.

Return to “Lifestyles General”