Introvert VS. Extrovert Discussion

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.

Are you introverted or extroverted?

Introvert
52%
Extrovert
5%
Even Mix of Both
5%
Both, but More Introverted
33%
Both, but more Extroverted
5%
I don't know!
No votes

Total votes: 21
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:08 pm

Are you introverted or extroverted? A mixture of both?
Do you agree with the following list? Is there anything you would change/add to either list?

(I'll be adding to this OP later ;) )

Seven things extroverts should know about their introverted friends:

1) We don’t need alone time because we don’t like you. We need alone time because we need alone time. Don’t take it personally.

2) We aren’t judging anyone when we sit quietly. We're just sitting quietly, probably enjoying watching extroverts in action.

3) If we say we’re having fun, we’re having fun, even though it might not look that way to you.

4) If we leave early, it’s not because we’re party poopers. We’re just pooped. Socializing takes a lot out of us.

5) If you want to hear what we have to say, give us time to say it. We don’t fight to be heard over other people. We just clam up.

6) We’re not lonely, we’re choosy. And we’re loyal to friends who don’t try to make us over into extroverts.

7) Anything but the telephone.

Seven things introverts should know about their extroverted friends:

1) Extroverts don’t understand introversion unless someone explains it.

2) Extroverts who try to get you to loosen up usually aren’t doing it to annoy you. They mean well.

3) Extroverts produce a lot of words but quantity does not preclude quality. There's often plenty of good stuff in there for those with the patience to listen.

4) Extroverts can teach us plenty about glad-handing and small talking. These are useful skills, whether or not you enjoy them.

5) Extroverts can’t read your mind and they’re not big on catching hints. Say what you want.

6) At parties, think of extroverted friends as a glider tow plane. They pull you in and get you started, but eventually you have to sail on your own.

7) Extroverts come in all different styles, just like introverts. Keep a lookout for extroverts with a quiet side, who make dandy friends.

NaranjaRa wrote:Another version of the test:
http://www.humanmetrics.com/hr/jtypesresult.aspx

2 More Sources for the Profile Explanations:
http://typelogic.com/
http://www.personalitypage.com/html/portraits.html

article source: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-introverts-corner/201207/seven-things-extroverts-should-know-about-introverts-and-vice?collection=101164
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:11 pm

/RESERVED

DAMN RIGHT I MEANT THE CAPS LOCK.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:21 pm

I am way more introverted that extroverted; but people that only know the introverted me are usually quite taken aback at how extroverted I CAN be in the right circumstances. It doesn't happen often though anymore. Still, I'm happiest alone, in my own head. ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Zombie
Wizard Behind The Curtain

Postby Zombie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:14 pm

Introverted.. We fucking win at life
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:21 am

introvert, but i want to take that test again.. i think somethings might be a little different since the last time around
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:24 am

I'm a huge mix of both... It really just depends on the day. But if i had to pick on if say more introverted but it's like 51% vs 49%
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:43 pm

I am way introverted. There's a common misconception that introversion=shyness, but they are two totally different things.

An introverted person can seem very extroverted when they are comfortable in their surroundings. For example, let's say hypothetically that I'm introverted and I manage 5 employees in a shop. The atmosphere at work is like a small family and I have an office that I have made my own. Therefore when customers come in to the store, I seem very outgoing and confident in that setting. They would never be able to guess that I am introverted and would rather poke myself in the eye with a fork than attend a loud concert, surrounded by thousands of people. If my hypothetical boss were to call me and say that a different store needed me to fill in for another manager, I would agree to go, but I would feel completely out of my element. I'd be awkward, anxious, and probably want to hide in the restroom all day. 0_o
Image Image
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:35 pm

^^ hahaha yes. me. this.

Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:54 pm

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion I am very introverted, but I have learned to put on an extrovert's face for jobs. Every customer interaction just feels like it's sucking out more and more energy though, just leaving me completely drained, frustrated, and stressed at the end of every day. I tried to explain this to my last boss as to why I was quitting (because it involved far more of this than anticipated, and I was terrified that if I stayed I would fall back into...bad habits), but he clearly didn't understand the experience of being an introvert, as he was an extremely extroverted person. Even when I explained exactly the difference between the two and how they affect people differently, he clearly still didn't have a clue what I was talking about. He asked me to stay and finish out two more weeks, I told him I would try my best. One week went by and I just straight up told him that I was leaving after rounding out the week on Saturday. Threw my stuff in my car and went home.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:32 pm

i took the personality test over, since its been a few years and it looks some things have changed for me since last time:
used to be a INFJ "the advocate"

this is me now:

YOUR PERSONALITY TYPE IS:
MEDIATOR (INFP-T)

No one can stop you from dreaming!
MIND
This trait determines how we interact with our environment.
EXTROVERTED - 19% | 81% - INTROVERTED
ENERGY
This trait shows where we direct our mental energy.
81% - INTUITIVE
19% - OBSERVANT
NATURE
This trait determines how we make decisions and cope with emotions.
25% - THINKING
75% - FEELING
TACTICS
This trait reflects our approach to work, planning and decision-making.
23% - JUDGING
77% - PROSPECTING
IDENTITY
This trait underpins all others, showing how confident we are in our abilities and decisions.
36% - ASSERTIVE
64% - TURBULENT

INFP personalities are true idealists, always looking for the hint of good in even the worst of people and events, searching for ways to make things better. While they may be perceived as calm, reserved, or even shy, INFPs have an inner flame and passion that can truly shine. Comprising just 4% of the population, the risk of feeling misunderstood is unfortunately high for the INFP personality type – but when they find like-minded people to spend their time with, the harmony they feel will be a fountain of joy and inspiration.

INFP personality
Being a part of the Diplomat (NF) personality group, INFPs are guided by their principles, rather than by logic (Analysts), excitement (Explorers), or practicality (Sentinels). When deciding how to move forward, they will look to honor, beauty, morality and virtue – INFPs are led by the purity of their intent, not rewards and punishments. People who share the INFP personality type are proud of this quality, and rightly so, but not everyone understands the drive behind these feelings, and it can lead to isolation.

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
J. R. R. Tolkien
We Know What We Are, but Know Not What We May Be

At their best, these qualities enable INFPs to communicate deeply with others, easily speaking in metaphors and parables, and understanding and creating symbols to share their ideas. The strength of this intuitive communication style lends itself well to creative works, and it comes as no surprise that many famous INFPs are poets, writers and actors. Understanding themselves and their place in the world is important to INFPs, and they explore these ideas by projecting themselves into their work.

INFPs have a talent for self-expression, revealing their beauty and their secrets through metaphors and fictional characters.
INFPs’ ability with language doesn’t stop with their native tongue, either – as with most people who share the Diplomat personality types, they are considered gifted when it comes to learning a second (or third!) language. Their gift for communication also lends itself well to INFPs’ desire for harmony, a recurring theme with Diplomats, and helps them to move forward as they find their calling.

Listen to Many People, but Talk to Few

Unlike their Extraverted cousins though, INFPs will focus their attention on just a few people, a single worthy cause – spread too thinly, they’ll run out of energy, and even become dejected and overwhelmed by all the bad in the world that they can’t fix. This is a sad sight for INFPs’ friends, who will come to depend on their rosy outlook.

If they are not careful, INFPs can lose themselves in their quest for good and neglect the day-to-day upkeep that life demands. INFPs often drift into deep thought, enjoying contemplating the hypothetical and the philosophical more than any other personality type. Left unchecked, INFPs may start to lose touch, withdrawing into "hermit mode", and it can take a great deal of energy from their friends or partner to bring them back to the real world.

Luckily, like the flowers in spring, INFP’s affection, creativity, altruism and idealism will always come back, rewarding them and those they love perhaps not with logic and utility, but with a world view that inspires compassion, kindness and beauty wherever they go.

*take the personality test here*

anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:51 pm

Interesting test. I am MEDIATOR (INFP-T). Definitely believable that I am 91% introverted. I must say I am 100% introverted until a rare instance occurs where I get comfortable with someone...then I don't shut up and constantly make jokes.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:08 pm

This is amazing, I haz INFP twinsies!!!!!11!
I hardly ever meet others.

Every time I take the test I get that result. In my high school class we had a few hundred students; the INFP group had, like 4 people :lol:
Image Image
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:19 pm

The boards do foster an easier way of communicating with others. You don't have to be near anyone. You can ignore or engage in any topic without directly being asked. There are no expectations of an answer. And, it's nice to have whatever time you need to fully complete a thought. Sometimes I get stuck in my head while my brain branches off in all directions. Thankfully it's easy to look back and see the original question. :D
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:43 pm

girlapaloo wrote:This is amazing, I haz INFP twinsies!!!!!11!
I hardly ever meet others.

Every time I take the test I get that result. In my high school class we had a few hundred students; the INFP group had, like 4 people :lol:

lol thats actually about right according to the research there. something like 5% usually are as its quite rare. but ever notice how many of us on ninja are introverts.. o_O thats not by accident at all :lol:

Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:39 pm

Apparently I am INTP, but the T was like a 55/45 split, so I'm just about in the middle of INTP and INFP. xD

https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality

INTP Strengths

Great Analysts and Abstract Thinkers – People with the INTP personality type view the world as a big, complex machine, and recognize that as with any machine, all parts are interrelated. INTPs excel in analyzing these connections, seeing how seemingly unrelated factors tie in with each other in ways that bewilder most other personality types.

Imaginative and Original – These connections are the product of an unrelenting imagination – INTPs' ideas may seem counter-intuitive at a glance, and may never even see the light of day, but they will always prove remarkable innovations.

Open-Minded – INTPs couldn't make these connections if they thought they knew it all – they are highly receptive to alternate theories, so long as they're supported by logic and facts. In more subjective matters like social norms and traditions, INTPs are usually fairly liberal, with a "none of my business" sort of attitude – peoples' ideas are what matter.

Enthusiastic – When a new idea piques their interest, INTPs can be very enthusiastic – they are a reserved personality type, but if another person shares an interest, they can be downright excited about discussing it. More likely though, the only outward evidence of this enthusiasm will be INTPs' silent pacing or their staring into the distance.

Objective – INTPs' analysis, creativity and open-mindedness aren't the tools of some quest for ideology or emotional validation. Rather, it's as though people with the INTP personality type are a conduit for the truths around them, so far as they can be expressed, and they are proud of this role as theoretical mediator.

Honest and Straightforward – To know one thing and say another would be terribly disingenuous – INTPs don't often go around intentionally hurting feelings, but they believe that the truth is the most important factor, and they expect that to be appreciated and reciprocated.

INTP Weaknesses

Very Private and Withdrawn – While INTPs' intellectualism yields many insights into their surroundings, their surroundings are ironically considered an intrusion on their thoughts. This is especially true with people – INTPs are quite shy in social settings. More complicated situations such as parties exacerbate this, but even close friends struggle to get into INTPs' hearts and minds.

Insensitive – Oftentimes INTP personalities get so caught up in their logic that they forget any kind of emotional consideration – they dismiss subjectivity as irrational and tradition as an attempt to bar much-needed progress. Purely emotional situations are often utterly puzzling to INTPs, and their lack of timely sympathy can easily offend.

Absent-minded – When INTPs' interest is captured, their absence goes beyond social matters to include the rest of the physical world. INTPs become forgetful, missing even the obvious if it's unrelated to their current infatuation, and they can even forget their own health, skipping meals and sleep as they muse.

Condescending – Attempts at connecting with others are often worse than INTPs' withdrawal. People with the INTP personality type take pride in their knowledge and rationale, and enjoy sharing their ideas, but in trying to explain how they got from A to B to Z, they can get frustrated, sometimes simplifying things to the point of insult as they struggle to gauge their conversation partners' perspective. The ultimate insult comes as INTPs give up with a dismissive "never mind".

Loathe Rules and Guidelines – These social struggles are partly a product of INTPs' desire to bypass the rules, of social conduct and otherwise. While this attitude helps INTPs' strength of unconventional creativity, it also causes them to reinvent the wheel constantly and to shun security in favor of autonomy in ways that can compromise both.

Second-Guess Themselves – INTPs remain so open to new information that they often never commit to a decision at all. This applies to their own skills as well – INTP personalities know that as they practice, they improve, and any work they do is second-best to what they could do. Unable to settle for this, INTPs sometimes delay their output indefinitely with constant revisions, sometimes even quitting before they ever begin.

Wow, yeah, that actually seems really accurate. Well, I don't think I really have the "Insensitive", but I think that's due to my score being so close between Thinking and Feeling.
ImageImage
ImageImage
DJ_Darkside
Chunks of Cool

Postby DJ_Darkside » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:02 pm

THE LOGICIAN

Code: INTP-T
Role: Analyst
Strategy: Constant Improvement
MIND
26%
EXTRAVERTED
74%
INTROVERTED
Introverted individuals prefer solitary activities and get exhausted by social interaction. They tend to be quite sensitive to external stimulation (e.g. sound, sight or smell) in general. Read more
ENERGY
80%
INTUITIVE
20%
Intuitive individuals are very imaginative, open-minded and curious. They prefer novelty over stability and focus on hidden meanings and future possibilities. Read more
NATURE
66%
THINKING
34%
FEELING
Thinking individuals focus on objectivity and rationality, prioritizing logic over emotions. They tend to hide their feelings and see efficiency as more important than cooperation. Read more
TACTICS
31%
JUDGING
69%
PROSPECTING
Prospecting individuals are very good at improvising and spotting opportunities. They tend to be flexible, relaxed nonconformists who prefer keeping their options open. Read more
IDENTITY
This trait underpins all others, showing how confident we are in our abilities and decisions.
39%
ASSERTIVE
61%
TURBULENT
Turbulent individuals are self-conscious and sensitive to stress. They are likely to experience a wide range of emotions and to be success-driven, perfectionistic and eager to improve.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain

ALL HAIL LIEUTENANT DOCTOR COOLCHUNKIA ESQUIRE THE THIRD JR.!!! Lest she blow chunks of cool up yo asssss!!!
/anna hack! :kiss:
AliceElite
//wrestles darkness...WINS!

Postby AliceElite » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:47 pm

I switch between INFJ and ENFJ - Not really sure what that means, but my friend who is super into Myers Briggs is like "YEP SUPER ACCURATE THATS YOU" so I guess it's right on the money?

I'm definitely an extrovert that needs to recharge her social batteries at times, probably because of my anxiety.
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:20 pm

Very interesting results! Of course, I consider those types of tests to be only tools for you to know yourself better, not an exact science, but what do I know? :p

I love seeing the differences and similarities in our personalities here :)
Image Image
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:06 pm

ink wrote:i took the personality test over, since its been a few years and it looks some things have changed for me since last time:
used to be a INFJ "the advocate"

this is me now:

YOUR PERSONALITY TYPE IS:
MEDIATOR (INFP-T)

it is totally natural for your results to shift over time, as we all grow and change as individuals

my results were the exact same, btw.
and from what i understand, the movement from the J (JUDGING) to a P (PERCEIVING) is a positive sign.
:)
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:08 pm

Candeeoke
The Quiet Storm

Postby Candeeoke » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:23 am

INFP here. That's what I always test. I didn't learn about this tool until I was around 26 years old. I wish I would have known this sooner in life.

MEDIATOR (INFP-T)

No one can stop you from dreaming!
MIND
29%
EXTRAVERTED
71%
INTROVERTED
ENERGY
65%
INTUITIVE
35%
OBSERVANT
NATURE
34%
THINKING
66%
FEELING
TACTICS
29%
JUDGING
71%
PROSPECTING
IDENTITY
43%
ASSERTIVE
57%
TURBULENT
ImageImage
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:39 pm

Loving this. Y'all are awesome! :)

Also, THIS:

WHY? Why can't I bring myself to pick up a phone and talk to someone?
Even if it is business related, I'm like, "Uh, could you text me?"
/facepalm

Introvert problems!
Image Image
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Yea i feel you with the phone.. sometimes i feel like i just dont have it in me.. :|

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sun May 01, 2016 1:31 am

girlapaloo wrote:Loving this. Y'all are awesome! :)

Also, THIS:

WHY? Why can't I bring myself to pick up a phone and talk to someone?
Even if it is business related, I'm like, "Uh, could you text me?"
/facepalm

Introvert problems!

yes. god. yes. i hate it. everyone i know hates me for it. and if you say, room with another introvert and a phone rings, you're climbing over each other to get as far away as possible so you don't have to be the one to answer it.
ImmaculateStiletto
ninja with training wheels

Postby ImmaculateStiletto » Mon May 02, 2016 2:46 am

I am a combination of both which surprises a lot of people!
Have a Blessed Day
Hugs N Kisses :)

Return to “Lifestyles General”