Using Fitness Trackers (Fitbit, Jawbone, Mio, etc)

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:03 pm

Feeling a little accomplished - I met my step goal AND my active minutes goal two days in a row :D
My Fitbit has logged ZERO active minutes pretty consistently since I got it, so I am glad to finally start logging activity that is more strenuous than just walking.

//fitness tracker deals updated (OP)
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Zombie
Wizard Behind The Curtain

Postby Zombie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:57 pm

Awesome!!
girlapaloo

Re: Using Fitness Trackers (Fitbit, Jawbone, Mio, etc)

Postby girlapaloo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:08 pm

Update on the Fitbit Charge: Wore it for 4 months and a corner of the silicone wristband that connects to the display screen started to peel away.
Emailed customer support on fitbit.com, attached a photo of my wristband; within hours they were able to verify the warranty and send me a new one.
I just thought they were going to have me ship it to them so they could repair it!

Oh, and BONUS: Since they are discontinuing the Charge model, they didn't have a replacement in my size. So they sent me the latest model, the Fitbit Alta, at no charge.
Just got it yesterday and I love it. The only thing I might miss about my old tracker is tracking flights of steps. I don't know why this model doesn't have the altimeter in it. Oh well!
I couldn't be happier with the experience I've had with the Fitbit brand so far.
It was not cool to have my tracker coming apart at the seams after just 4 months of use, but apparently it happened to many people who got the Charge.
At least they made it right.

Gotta get back to steppin'
Image Image
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:54 pm

girlapaloo wrote:Update on the Fitbit Charge: Wore it for 4 months and a corner of the silicone wristband that connects to the display screen started to peel away.
Emailed customer support on fitbit.com, attached a photo of my wristband; within hours they were able to verify the warranty and send me a new one.
I just thought they were going to have me ship it to them so they could repair it!

Oh, and BONUS: Since they are discontinuing the Charge model, they didn't have a replacement in my size. So they sent me the latest model, the Fitbit Alta, at no charge.
Just got it yesterday and I love it. The only thing I might miss about my old tracker is tracking flights of steps. I don't know why this model doesn't have the altimeter in it. Oh well!
I couldn't be happier with the experience I've had with the Fitbit brand so far.
It was not cool to have my tracker coming apart at the seams after just 4 months of use, but apparently it happened to many people who got the Charge.

Is there a model you can recommend for me? really, im just looking to track progress and my heart rate. I wanted to take martial arts, but i was advised by my friends that have experience in it to start running first, start at 1/4 mile, then walk 1/4 mile, and keep trying to beat what i did the day before until I can run for 2 miles. They, concerningly, told me they recoommend this for me so I dont die, since im overweight now and my heart rate is shit. This way when i do sign up, i can at least survive most or all of the class - as opposed to jumping in now and paying all that money only to survive the first 10 minutes of the class, which is very realistic, unfortunately for me.

As long as I can constantly know my heart rate and measure my overall progress from a run id be happy.
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:50 pm

Rivoc wrote:
girlapaloo wrote:Update on the Fitbit Charge: Wore it for 4 months and a corner of the silicone wristband that connects to the display screen started to peel away.

Is there a model you can recommend for me? really, im just looking to track progress and my heart rate. I wanted to take martial arts, but i was advised by my friends that have experience in it to start running first, start at 1/4 mile, then walk 1/4 mile, and keep trying to beat what i did the day before until I can run for 2 miles. They, concerningly, told me they recoommend this for me so I dont die, since im overweight now and my heart rate is shit. This way when i do sign up, i can at least survive most or all of the class - as opposed to jumping in now and paying all that money only to survive the first 10 minutes of the class, which is very realistic, unfortunately for me.

As long as I can constantly know my heart rate and measure my overall progress from a run id be happy.

Good suggestion from your friends, that's pretty cool of them to not want you to die :giggle: .
The Fitbit Blaze, $200 just came out this year and it boasts some pretty nice features like continuous heart rate monitor and workout summaries right on your wrist screen.
It's a bit bulky compared to the other trackers. I'd expect that from a fancy fitness watch though.
The Fitbit Charge HR, $150 also offers some cool features including continuous heart rate monitoring.
As far as tracking your progress, the mobile app is good, but I love the graphs and stuff when you log in to the fitbit dashboard from a computer.

The price tag seems steep to a cheapskate like me, but in the end, the investment in your health and wellbeing is so worth it.
And Fitbit seems to really stand by their products, from my own experience and from what I've read from other customers so far.

A co-worker of mine just got the Charge HR recently and she loves it. She is always looking to see if she in her target heart rate zone during exercise.
I don't know about other brands but I'm sure you could find something comparable with the heart rate feature.
If anyone else has feedback or recommendations please do chime in!
Image Image

Return to “Lifestyles General”