Using Fitness Trackers (Fitbit, Jawbone, Mio, etc)

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Using Fitness Trackers (Fitbit, Jawbone, Mio, etc)

Postby girlapaloo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:41 pm

Do you use a fitness tracker?
What kind do you have?
How do you use it?

I was so happy to win a Fitbit Charge earlier this year (I'm a sweepstakes junkie) and have been wearing it ever since.
I wore it the first day and didn't do anything different; I wanted to see what a usual day of activity looked like.
It was around 2,000 steps - sad, considering the American Heart Association recommends something around 10,000!

When I mention the pedometer part of the Fitbit, people are like
"Well those things don't measure your steps accurately anyway, grumblegrumble" <----losers.
Here's what I have to say to those people:
  1. ) You are totally shitting on my positive thing that I was trying to talk about. /62
  2. ) It's about having a better awareness of your activity levels, not the exact number of steps, you dumbass.

Once I had a base number, I made it a goal to double, then triple the number of steps I take per day.
It was very difficult, having to sit in a cubicle most of the week, but I did it.
Just doing that, I noticed a huge difference in my energy levels.
Not at 10,000 steps a day, but I am content with my progress, at my own pace.

There are other features from Fitbit (and fitbit.com) I like to use:
  • Sleep tracking (omg. I knew I never really slept but now I have proof)
  • "Active minutes" tracking
  • Silent alarm
  • Weight / BMI tracking
  • Water intake tracking
  • Fitbit friends and group challenges online
    (Fitbit Ninjas, anyone? :tongue: )

If you're looking to buy a fitness tracker, check out these links:
Specout: Compare Fitness Trackers
The Best Fitness Trackers For 2016

Current deals spotted on fitness trackers:
I benefit in no way from posting links to bargains I find, unless you count warm, fuzzy feelings ^_^

Garmin Vivofit Fitness Band Bundle with Heart Rate Monitor
at buydig.com: $59.99 + Free Shipping

Refurbished Fitbit Zip (the clip kind)
at yugster.com: $24.97 ($19.95 + $5.00 shipping)

Current sweepstakes / giveaways with Fitbit as a prize:

https://www.culturelle.com/thehealthiestyouever
http://www.rmpalmer.com/making-summer-fun.php
http://www.jollytime.com/healthypopchal ... itbit-alta
https://1stphorm.com/blog/fitbit-charge ... -giveaway/
https://thrillnchillsweepstakes.com/

Good luck... :wink:
Spoiler: show
Image Image
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:03 pm

I use the Pivotal Living tracker.

On band: Time, Pedometer, Milage, Calories burned, Goals, SleepTracker, Stopwatch and sleep. It has bluetooth that syncs to the app on your phone. There you can track, sleep, nutrition, hydration and weight. All the data is stored in the app. You can also buy a scale that syncs to the app too. The tracker is $14 and the scale is $40. It does have syncing glitches sometimes which irritates me but as long as I know I met my goal for the day...I don't really care if it gets logged onto the app to keep track.

It allows you to share your profile with others...set goals or challenges but I have never done that.

I forget the tracker at home a lot but my phone tracks most of this stuff through the Google Fit app.

I can share my tracker info with you fitbit lovers in this thread. It's good to keep up the motivation. My goal is set at 10,000 steps right now. It's nice that it doesn't measure how fast or slow your pace is...cause I like to stop and take pictures on my walks.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:38 am

Honestly being aware of your fitness level or lack there of makes an insane difference in your life. I know when I starting actually using one (mind you I lost mine) my steps increased greatly I went from about 6,000 steps a day to around 10,000 and it stayed in that ballpark.

Now that I've lost mine I'm pretty sure it has dropped significantly.
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:06 am

I forget mine a lot. But I know how much I walk in a day (not very much) Starbucks is one mile away. A certain park is 2 miles away. Have mapped certain loops and actual destinations, know how far I've gone because I've tracked it so many times. This way I can't cheat and in my mind think that was 4 miles I'm sure...when really it is no where close. Remembering to put it on when I'm out doing something random or a new path is the only time a really need to use it now.

My activity is set at 1 hour (non-stop)...this seems pretty easy to achieve. It's fun to switch up your goals, not just steps. However, tracking the calories bums me out. I always feel like, That's it! But, even that helps me eat less.

Good luck! Definitely look forward to hearing about your progress. Have fun :D
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
MAK
grasshopper

Postby MAK » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:40 am

I used to walk around with it due to a competition at work.. but when I saw everyone were stacking steps when I knew it would be impossible for those shits to walk/exercise that much, I stopped using it...
<3
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:39 pm

anynoise wrote:It allows you to share your profile with others...set goals or challenges but I have never done that.
I joined a few fitbit groups so others would invite me to challenges. It’s kinda fun but they’re all strangers, though! LoL
anynoise wrote:
I forget the tracker at home a lot but my phone tracks most of this stuff through the Google Fit app.
Really? I would just be screwed if I left my fitbit at home, or if the battery ran out. Does the app on your phone track movements too?
anynoise wrote:I can share my tracker info with you fitbit lovers in this thread. It's good to keep up the motivation.

I’m down for that! We can be each other’s cheerleaders :) Maybe soon we could start doing challenges here. It doesn’t have to be number of steps per se, maybe like percentage of steps increased for the week, hitting your own personal goal, or something along those lines.

Rwn wrote:Honestly being aware of your fitness level or lack there of makes an insane difference in your life. I know when I starting actually using one (mind you I lost mine) my steps increased greatly I went from about 6,000 steps a day to around 10,000 and it stayed in that ballpark.

Now that I've lost mine I'm pretty sure it has dropped significantly.

Shoot, sorry to hear that. It’s really good you noticed the difference, though. When I first started using mine, I realized how little I actually paid attention to myself. Sounds weird to say but it’s true. I get so wrapped up in my thoughts/worries/plans/fears that I forget to “just be.” It’s all a part of the bigger picture I’ve been trying to implement: take better care of myself. This handy little device has become a “mindfulness reminder” for me. Until I get sick of using it, or feel I don’t need the reminder anymore, I think that’s pretty cool!

MAK wrote:I used to walk around with it due to a competition at work.. but when I saw everyone were stacking steps when I knew it would be impossible for those shits to walk/exercise that much, I stopped using it...

I heard that some people hand off their trackers for others to wear, just so they get the required number of steps in for the day. What the hell is that? They can’t even hold themselves accountable for walking a few measly steps? That burns me up. What’s the point in using a fitness tracker if you are lying to yourself?
This is why I try to add fitbit friends who have around the same number of average steps per week, for “healthy” competition. If someone putting in 20,000 freaking steps a day tries to add me and my goal is 6,000, I’m thinking, “Good for you, marathon runner, but I’m not gonna join your challenges just so you can look super good and laugh at me at the bottom.” They may or may not be legitimately getting those steps. I try to avoid too much comparison, for my self-esteem’s sake.
Image Image
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:39 pm

The only thing that I ever use like that is Map My Hike... because I really don't do anything else for exercise at the moment. All it really does is track your route, speed and elevation and gives an approximation of things like calories burned. It's also good for just figuring out where you are on the trail since it uses GPS tracking.

http://www.mapmyhike.com/
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:56 pm

I have a separate app (google fit) that tracks my movements when i forget the band but unfortunately the two apps don't sync.

I kicked ass today. Went out before sunrise, then again at 10am. 5 miles all together (i actually jogged a small portion...very small portion of it). 12,000+ steps. These are not my normal numbers. The sun is out and in the NW it's rare in Spring, so I took advantage.

I think a weekly goal might be fun?? What do you think?
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:31 pm

anynoise wrote:I have a separate app (google fit) that tracks my movements when i forget the band but unfortunately the two apps don't sync.

I kicked ass today. Went out before sunrise, then again at 10am. 5 miles all together (i actually jogged a small portion...very small portion of it). 12,000+ steps. These are not my normal numbers. The sun is out and in the NW it's rare in Spring, so I took advantage.

I think a weekly goal might be fun?? What do you think?

My numbers are looking pathetic right now, LOL

How's it going with you? :)

If I could just hit my daily goal more than once this week I would be happy.
Image Image
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Daily I'm pretty shitty. Once or twice a week I nail it out of the park(this is not every week) . For me the struggle to leave the house is the biggest hurdle. When I can, I capitalize fully. If I had a daily goal I would feel like a complete failure. To circumnavigate that feeling...I make weekly goals. If I achieve them awesome. If I don't, I write down what has been going on with me in detail. Complete honesty. Try to get that shit out and start fresh a with a new week. Completely let go of the previous week.

I think the best thing, for me, is not to get down on myself about the things I don't accomplish. It isn't easy. I guess if you don't give up, then that is an accomplishment in itself.
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:31 pm

anynoise wrote:For me the struggle to leave the house is the biggest hurdle. When I can, I capitalize fully. If I had a daily goal I would feel like a complete failure. To circumnavigate that feeling...I make weekly goals. If I achieve them awesome. If I don't, I write down what has been going on with me in detail. Complete honesty. Try to get that shit out and start fresh a with a new week. Completely let go of the previous week.

I think the best thing, for me, is not to get down on myself about the things I don't accomplish. It isn't easy. I guess if you don't give up, then that is an accomplishment in itself.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I have an acute form agoraphobia or something :p
I have to try to sneak in steps wherever I can during the workweek.
Like every trip to the restroom I add 3 flights of stairs before I head back to the cubicle.
Or just jogging in place in the cubicle.
It's ridiculous, and I still don't hit the goal most days. :lol:
But that's OK. Like you said, it doesn't help to beat yourself up.

It makes me feel good that I am taking steps (pun intended) toward self-care.

After the Fitbit's sleep tracker opened my eyes to exactly how shitty my sleep has been, I finally decided to do something about it last week.
Four days later, the tracker shows significant improvement due to the changes I made. Not getting enough rest does so much damage to your physical and mental health :(
Why have I been ignoring my pain and suffering all these years?!
Image Image
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:39 am

This post totally motivated me to get off my ass and get some exercise. Less than an hour but I'm super happy that a day I thought no way can I do it...turned out to be...come on do it. So thanks!
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:15 am

You rock, chick! Way to go, I'm proud of you :D
Image Image
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:44 am

I've been getting fat again... It's time to get another fitness tracker.

I know it works purely on peer pressure and embarrassment but which ones sync up to social media so I can feel even more pressure to keep moving?
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:34 pm

Rwn wrote:I've been getting fat again... It's time to get another fitness tracker.

I know it works purely on peer pressure and embarrassment but which ones sync up to social media so I can feel even more pressure to keep moving?

:)

Well I know the Fitbit has options to publish certain things on your Facebook feed, like distance ran, etc. but I didn't sync mine. They also have activity groups where you can join or create one on fitbit.com. I joined a few just so random people could send me invites to challenges. Post your results here and we'll [del]make fun of[/del] *cough* motivate you ;)
Image Image
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:10 pm

Rwn wrote:I've been getting fat again... It's time to get another fitness tracker.

I say do what you want.
Keep tabs on yourself, no one needs to know your business! :P
Feel some pressure but support from a few friends or complete anonymous strangers.
Or, go all out, put yourself on the line in front of everyone. Guilt and peer pressure will be your guide. :D

Motivation comes in strange ways. I was watching a soccer game and it popped in my head that walking and jogging in grass is much better for my old fat bones then any hard surface. This has made a pretty big difference between feeling sore and feeling in pain. Soreness I can handle.

Good Luck!
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:40 pm

I'll check them out, they are just so damn expensive.
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:46 pm

Rwn wrote:I'll check them out, they are just so damn expensive.

That's why I went with the $14 Pivotal Living tracker. I assumed it would be really shitty. I just wanted to see if I would really use it and then move on to a more expensive one. Honestly, I don't think I need to go up to a better one, it already tracks all the info I'm interested in. I was pretty surprised. Although, I'm sure fitbit is much nicer.
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:10 pm

I have literally zero "disposable" income for things like that, so it was a magical gift from the Universe when I won a Fitbit.
The other kinds are fine! I bet the cheaper ones might just be a little less accurate detecting steps, but that's no big deal at all.
Maybe I'll add links to future Fitbit giveaways here as well haha

Here's a nice place to compare a bunch of different fitness trackers. You could sort the list by price and go from there :)
Specout: Compare Fitness Trackers
Image Image
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:59 pm

I keep thinking about wanting one but don't I have to turn on my smart phone to get the data reports? My lappy does have bluetooth.
Image Image
est 1953

girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:05 pm

I'm not sure about other models, but the Fitbit syncs to my iPad by Bluetooth.
It also has a USB transmiter/receiver you can plug into your PC, looks just like what you'd use for a wireless mouse or keyboard.
Image Image
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:50 am

Hmmm damn I wish I didn't lose mine...

And I go to buy one but car problems yo....

Fuck being an adult omfg. I know I could afford the fitness tracker and then car issues, but I can't bring myself to spend the money in the fitness tracker until I get the cars sorted.
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:53 pm

Ok, now that the novelty of having a new fitness tracker has worn off, the main thing I use this thing for is the silent alarm.
I was using my cell phone as my alarm clock during the work week, but this is so much better!
I'm trying to spend less time with a phone so close to me anyway.
Image Image
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:11 am

I've always wanted to try putting a fitness tracker in my bag or something to see how much I walk while at work/school.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:16 pm

I haven't updated here in a while. Still using the Fitbit, but had to lower my daily step goal a tad.
I felt like I was overdoing it and causing some knee pain.
My base number was around 2,000 steps per day, so now my goal is to do at least 6,000.
I have only hit my goal once in seven days so far, but it's been close on most of those days! :)

For anyone looking for a fitness tracker, occasionally I come across a good deal online so I will start sharing them is this thread's OP.
I benefit in no way from posting links to bargains I find, unless you count warm, fuzzy feelings ^_^

//OP updated
Image Image

Return to “Lifestyles General”