Ninja! Help me get back into shape!

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sat May 14, 2016 2:43 pm

My exercise plan is a pair of corgi's who will do anything to make me come play with them.
Image Image
est 1953

Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Sun May 15, 2016 1:34 pm

Another thing to keep in mind is staying hydrated. You probably don't realize it but chances are you're dehydrated. Drink a crap load more water
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun May 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Cardio, cardio, cardio, cardio... and something that makes you lift your knees up over their pivot point repeatedly with resistance, like mountain hiking ideally. Also don't eat crappy food, portion control. Did I mention cardio? Drink water, stay hydrated. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum... Profit. Literally all I did last year to get in shape and I lost upwards of 40 pounds in a few months, and I'm in my mid 40s. Unfortunately now I have to follow my own advice because I'm back up to where I was back at the start. :D
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:48 am

Feydakin wrote:Cardio, cardio, cardio, cardio... and something that makes you lift your knees up over their pivot point repeatedly with resistance, like mountain hiking ideally. Also don't eat crappy food, portion control. Did I mention cardio? Drink water, stay hydrated. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum... Profit. Literally all I did last year to get in shape and I lost upwards of 40 pounds in a few months, and I'm in my mid 40s. Unfortunately now I have to follow my own advice because I'm back up to where I was back at the start. :D

Youre not alone..... I was once down 40 lbs since i moved here (8 months ago) now I am about back where I started. dammit.....
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:12 pm

Been down and out but I got back up.
I have to get in shape.

We can do it!
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:26 pm

girlapaloo wrote:https://media1.giphy.com/media/bdpIDWZFkI67S/200.gif

Been down and out but I got back up.
I have to get in shape.

We can do it!

Im going back to PA later tongiht. My moms house at the lake while I visit. Im going to walk around and explore the nice scenery that is green while I can. This 100+ weather in the desert is no fun to exercise in.
Garon-Time
ninja with training wheels

Postby Garon-Time » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:13 am

Check out Chad Waterbury. His book "Huge in a Hurry" is chock full of neuroscience and simple direct programs.

In contrast to the title there is an extensive and efficient fat loss section in the book. Also very simple.

Typically a workout is 30 minutes or less. The weight loss ones run about 45 minutes or less if your really pushing yourself.

Highly effective book.
Hail Enki. Guardian of Mankind.

/who
Garon-Time
ninja with training wheels

Postby Garon-Time » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:16 am

If you perform any typical resistance training program with enough intensity there is no need for any time to be used for direct cardio.

The body is always in an aerobic and anaerobic state. It's literally not possible to not do cardio when you are doing anything at all.

If you like cardio, giver and all power to you but if you don't or want quicker results, resistance training is more effective.
Hail Enki. Guardian of Mankind.

/who
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:55 am

Today was a good day..

I got out an old pair of shorts (I have been wearing a larger size) and they FIT! I got so excited. Fucken A.

I gave up on exercising, but I know that I need to get back into the swing of things, I can not even walk on the beach without getting winded.
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:47 pm

Skywalker wrote:Today was a good day..

I got out an old pair of shorts (I have been wearing a larger size) and they FIT! I got so excited. Fucken A.

I gave up on exercising, but I know that I need to get back into the swing of things, I can not even walk on the beach without getting winded.

Nice :) That's always a good feeling!
I have been trying to be more active in general lately, because yes, I am very tired of being tired!

4 Science-Backed Ways to Motivate Yourself to Work Out

Image Image
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Re:

Postby Skywalker » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:17 am

girlapaloo wrote:
Skywalker wrote:Today was a good day..

Nice :) That's always a good feeling!
I have been trying to be more active in general lately, because yes, I am very tired of being tired!

4 Science-Backed Ways to Motivate Yourself to Work Out

Very true, thanks for the link and Motivations. I just grabbed a gym membership that has an outdoor and indoor pool. Not that I'll use anything but the pool, worth it for 30 bucks a month.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Re: Ninja! Help me get back into shape!

Postby Corgimom » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:51 am

Don't forget to hydrate. I have had heat stroke twice in the last 30 days.
Image Image
est 1953

Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Re:

Postby Rivoc » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:33 pm

Rwn wrote:
Rivoc wrote:Today I went to the park to play horseshoes after work. I didnt think of it as exercise really, but ill be damned if my whole body isnt sore! im not saying I should use it as a workout, but its a fun game that is certainly better and more active than sitting on the couch when you play heads up with another person. Walking back and forth, beding to pick up the shoes a lot....... and we sucked cause we havent played in years, sdo we threw about 4 games worth of horseshoes. 1 game took an hour, i finally one 21-17. I hit 3 ringers :D

Seriously tho, so physically drained since im normally a couch potato!

You should check out Disc golf

I played it for the first time when i went back to PA for a few weeks. DAMN was that fun! Of course i sucked and made a lot of ventures in the woods, but that was all part of the fun too. A few good throws was all i needed to enjoy it. I do still enjoy horseshoes more, but for my first time i did enjoy disc golf. only thing - itd be wayyyyy too hot to play that outside in Vegas, thatll have to wait til winter almost. Pokemon Go is getting my ass outside more too.
Charmosa
God

Re:

Postby Charmosa » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:11 pm

How was the triathlon in June? Updates?

I'm trying to do capoeira regularly again. I seem to go one week consistently, then semi-consistently, then miss a whole week. I still exercise in my house and stretch anywhere, but going out to the park has been touch and go because of rain and laziness. Another capoeira friend has moved into town though and we're trying to organize a regular class. It's rough, stay motivated!

Personally, just doing sit ups and squats and lots of stretching keeps me feeling pretty good, even without the cardio, though that's important too. With the heat being what it is, it's good to be confident that your core strength won't fail you when you are doing cardio. It also can help prevent injury. Strong thighs=less chance of hurting your knees when you get low to the ground, for example.
girlapaloo

Re:

Postby girlapaloo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:23 pm

Brewtality wrote:Okay guys. The time has come. A couple of years ago I got into the best shape of my life. I was lifting weights, running every day and looking damn good if I may say so myself! However, the bad weight has slowly been creeping back into my life and all of a sudden I've put on 30lbs which I absolutely need to get rid of.

I'm going to be using DDP Yoga which I used before for recovery and a good, low-impact workout on off-days. Here's a sample@

https://youtu.be/shPjl0R5kHo

I'll be doing some running as well as I've just signed up for a triathlon in June.

I would REALLY appreciate it if you guys could hit me up with a bump now and then and maybe a couple of encouraging/ass-kicking/motivational words.

If there's anyone out there who wants to join me in losing some weight and getting in shape then let's do it together and see how far we can push each other!!!

/bump

How was the triathalon??? /nerd
Image Image
girlapaloo

Re: Re:

Postby girlapaloo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:45 pm

Charmosa wrote:How was the triathlon in June? Updates?

I'm trying to do capoeira regularly again. I seem to go one week consistently, then semi-consistently, then miss a whole week. I still exercise in my house and stretch anywhere, but going out to the park has been touch and go because of rain and laziness. Another capoeira friend has moved into town though and we're trying to organize a regular class. It's rough, stay motivated!

Personally, just doing sit ups and squats and lots of stretching keeps me feeling pretty good, even without the cardio, though that's important too. With the heat being what it is, it's good to be confident that your core strength won't fail you when you are doing cardio. It also can help prevent injury. Strong thighs=less chance of hurting your knees when you get low to the ground, for example.

Capoeira looks like so much fun.
I've always wanted to try Muay Thai kickboxing.
Been doing so much walking in place/ workouts at my desk, it's ridiculous.
Image Image
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:07 pm

Hey guys! Thanks for the interest! The triathlon went great but it was exhausting! I'll have to be in better shape for it next year but it'll be awesome because I'll get to see how far my time has improved.

Capoeira sounds really cool and I'd love to give it a go but I'm sticking with the yoga and running for no as it seems to be working for me.

Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:07 am

So how's everyone doing?

I lost some weight and then put some back on again but I think it's essentially down to drinking far too much booze. I'm at 242lbs right now and want that 42lbs gone by the summer. At the moment I'm doing running, cycling and yoga and I'm keeping a much better track of my diet. Last night for example, I had an avocado, two eggs and a teaspoon of peanut butter for dinner after yoga and it was absolutely delicious. I feel as though I'm a pretty decent looking guy and I'm the lead singer in a friggin' band but I'm not having any luck with the ladies I like because I'm overweight and that really sucks. So that's part of my motivation. I'll be off the beer and I'm going all-out on quitting cigarettes this time. I'll still be smoking dope though as it's awesome having a bowl after working out hard and then melting into the couch with a movie!

Hopefully we're all making progress!

Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:41 am

//BUMP

Any updates from anyone else?

I'm currently down 12-15lbs (depending on when I weigh myself) and am feeling great! After a few stops and starts recently, I'm finally feeling as though I'm back in the groove and making progress every day.

girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Currently trying to lose about 5 pounds and quit cigarettes (again)!
Image Image
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:21 pm

i could use the 5lbs.. but the cigs?!! man.. i feel you there. /62
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:46 am

when i lost the doctor who gives me the meds i need to function, my activity levels then of course went way down. i'd lost 35 pounds in 2015. then i gained it back in 2016.

time to get rid of it again now that i have meds...though not the level i had before and i'm still having issues functioning...i need to be more mindful of what i eat when i do not get a lot of the physical activity i need to burn stuff off. thing is my man cooks for the most part because of my back, so it's a lot of the classic "meat & starch" based meals. i try to do a lot of fish but i'm still a sucker for a good mac & cheese. but often i am happy eating a giant bowl of steamed broccoli with a hint of garlic & sesame oil.

this thread will help me be mindful again. /nod
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:45 am

Weight loss is achieved in the kitchen.
Fitness is achieve in the gym.

It's all about recording what you eat. I've got a pretty good handle of my diet know and choose to have cheat days when needed, but then I try and make up any extra calories the next day, Swapping out potatoes, bread, pasta and rice for fresh veg will go a long way to helping you lose weight without feeling like you're starving yourself or making stupid sacrifices you won't be able to maintain.

I was 19.5 lbs down according to the scaled this morning but I'm only recording the figures once a week to account for fluctuation. Feeling pretty good though!

NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:26 am

congrats Bew!

and oh i've done it before. i ended up heavy in college and afterwards dropped 90lbs in a year. all diet. started as high-protein low-carb and then i just stayed balanced and kept it off for YEARS until i started having to take meds. didn't change a THING but the medications started making me gain weight...like 30lb in ONE MONTH! so it has very little to do with what i eat. 5 of my 7 medicines cause weight-gain and or holding on to water. meanwhile, i actually PREFER to eat healthy. i didn't exercise much, either, when i lost all that before. i just did a lot of beaching and some swimming but it wasn't regular by any means.

my issue now is eating TOO LITTLE and not often enough. the meds make me nauseous sometimes, too, making it even harder. my metabolism thinks i'm starving so it's holding on to every calorie. people don't realize you can actually lose more weight if you eat more regularly, like 5 small meals instead of 2 large ones. this is especially crucial for me who tend to often end up eating like, ONE giant meal at night. women snack a bit more. but still, more regularly timed meals keeps you burning!

Return to “Lifestyles General”