Ninja! Help me get back into shape!

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Sun May 01, 2016 10:11 am

Okay guys. The time has come. A couple of years ago I got into the best shape of my life. I was lifting weights, running every day and looking damn good if I may say so myself! However, the bad weight has slowly been creeping back into my life and all of a sudden I've put on 30lbs which I absolutely need to get rid of.

I'm going to be using DDP Yoga which I used before for recovery and a good, low-impact workout on off-days. Here's a sample@

https://youtu.be/shPjl0R5kHo

I'll be doing some running as well as I've just signed up for a triathlon in June.

I would REALLY appreciate it if you guys could hit me up with a bump now and then and maybe a couple of encouraging/ass-kicking/motivational words.

If there's anyone out there who wants to join me in losing some weight and getting in shape then let's do it together and see how far we can push each other!!!

Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon May 02, 2016 5:02 am

I'm starting with cardio again this week! Was just talking with my roommates today about it. I'm going to take jiu jitsu this summer. I'd like to not have to lay down on the floor after 10 seconds while everyone in the gym has to form a bucket brigade to splash water on me to keep me alive like w fish out of water.

I'm with you all the way!!!
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Mon May 02, 2016 5:11 am

A triathlon! Well you are miles ahead of me(I have a serious pun affliction). I am trying to get out and walk. I've done some weights and have attempted to jog (not run) and feel like dying. After two months I've lost 15lbs. I can't see it at all...but that's what the scale says. My muscles completely atrophied after spending years in bed, so I've got a pretty long way to go. I will definitely check back on this thread of motivation! Great idea.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Mon May 02, 2016 5:13 am

Brewtality *sidenote* I just now noticed the two faces in your avatar. Freaked me out. Don't know what my eyes were seeing before, now I can't see anything else.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Wed May 04, 2016 3:52 pm

oh this is a good thread. I'm going to sticky this. I need to get back to the gym asap. we inspire eachother.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu May 05, 2016 5:37 am

Back to cooking most of my meals: grilled chicken rice and broccoli for tomorrow.
AliceElite
//wrestles darkness...WINS!

Postby AliceElite » Fri May 06, 2016 3:52 am

I need this thread also. Bumping.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Fri May 06, 2016 4:30 am

AliceElite wrote:I need this thread also. Bumping.

I think this thread and each other's motivation and success stories are going to work wonders for us!!

On both the bright and dark side, I've discovered I don't have insomnia, but shift sleep disorder. I sleep 3-4 hrs a night, and usually a 2-3 hour nap anywhere from 5-730p.

NO MORE!!!! Apparently, NOT taking an excessive nap for 10 days straight should cure this, said a sleep study Doctor that has done thousands of sleep studies before. He recommended camping for 10 days. I'm not about to go camping for 10 days solo. It's hard to get someone to go with you when everyone has work. So I've decided fuck camping, if the bottom line is don't nap for 10 days, I should be able to do that.

Today I fought in my weak groggy sleepy time (5-7p) by walking around my apartment complex twice. I feel like a zombie during this time. Lifeless like my body is ready to be knocked out like a boxer who just went 15 rounds. The walk helped A LOT!!! It felt like it didn't help at all, not even a little as I walked it, even right after I finished it I felt like I could crash. But 10 mins after that I felt less tired and more alert.

Day 1- Victory!
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Fri May 06, 2016 5:50 am

Congrats man! Any victory is worth celebrating!

I've been good this week. I've eaten really well, limiting carbs and eating plenty of fruit and veg like broccoli, cauliflower, avocado, carrots, tomatoes, spinach etc. Breakfast this week has been one slice of wholegrain bread, two poached eggs and tomato with tobasco.

I'm trying not to schedule everything because I've found that if I schedule something and then miss it for one reason or another (there's always something), I feel bad and I'm not doing this to feel bad, I'm doing it to feel good. So I'm going for the 'lifestyle change' idea where I just have to remain cognizant of what it is I want to achieve. I've been doing 12 minutes of DDP Yoga every morning just to get my body used to stretching. I went on a run on Tuesday, did rugby training on Wednesday and swam 750m this morning before work.

I'm trying to keep this in mind the whole time:

LET'S DO THIS NINJAS!

Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Fri May 06, 2016 6:08 am

I've begun doing the seven minute workout. It really made me realize how out of shape I was. It's a free app check it out.

I need to get a treadmill or join a gym since I can't afford to run on the streets with my ankle
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Fri May 06, 2016 7:50 am

If you find running too painful with your bad ankle, I would highly recommend DDP Yoga. You can buy the program from the website or.... procure it by other means. Possibly in a sort of 'kick ass' way or something. It's a brilliant workout which builds flexibility, strength and also provides an excellent no/low-impact cardio workout.

Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Fri May 06, 2016 3:24 pm

Lol I've got flexibility down, for a fat out shape man I am damn flexible. I've started working on my ankle but I really need to just go in and have them fix the tendons
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Fri May 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Brewtality wrote:Congrats man! Any victory is worth celebrating!

I've been good this week. I've eaten really well, limiting carbs and eating plenty of fruit and veg like broccoli, cauliflower, avocado, carrots, tomatoes, spinach etc. Breakfast this week has been one slice of wholegrain bread, two poached eggs and tomato with tobasco.

I'm trying not to schedule everything because I've found that if I schedule something and then miss it for one reason or another (there's always something), I feel bad and I'm not doing this to feel bad, I'm doing it to feel good. So I'm going for the 'lifestyle change' idea where I just have to remain cognizant of what it is I want to achieve. I've been doing 12 minutes of DDP Yoga every morning just to get my body used to stretching. I went on a run on Tuesday, did rugby training on Wednesday and swam 750m this morning before work.

I'm trying to keep this in mind the whole time:

http://www.sunburstraces.org/sunburst/assets/Image/Couch-650.jpg

LET'S DO THIS NINJAS!

Congrats on eating healthier!

That's a damn good mindset to keep. I think I'm going to take that as well. I'm loving homemade guac! That's on my menu for tonight!
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Tue May 10, 2016 2:14 am

Now I'm jogging and eating healthier and trying to get my sleep into a normal state. This combo has to help some!! Even if it's over time, I don't care. It just has to help! My diet, activity and sleep were so effed before. This better help!
Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Tue May 10, 2016 3:09 am

I need someone to hold me accountable. I'll get motivated for a few days & go right back to laziness. I admire ambition cuz that just ain't me.
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Tue May 10, 2016 5:48 am

Philly wrote:I need someone to hold me accountable. I'll get motivated for a few days & go right back to laziness. I admire ambition cuz that just ain't me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rAHnwWfsaY

(sun)
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Tue May 10, 2016 8:41 am

Philly wrote:I need someone to hold me accountable. I'll get motivated for a few days & go right back to laziness. I admire ambition cuz that just ain't me.

That's what this thread is for! We can hold each other accountable. Perhaps we could modify the OP to include a list of people who we need to keep motivated?

Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Tue May 10, 2016 12:38 pm

OK, I've done absolutely nothing. NOTHING. complete fail. there's no way i'm going to be in the shape i kept promising my myself by summer. why do i hate this working out and eating right no so much? when i get in that mode, I'm a fuck ton happier, but to get out of that mode is as simple as breathing. Grrr.... someone explain my stupidity please.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Tue May 10, 2016 3:48 pm

My doctor told me I can't exercise the upper half of my body for 4-6weeks. And, no exercise at all for 7-14days. So, I'll be back in a week or 2. I find it really hard to get back into a rhythm once I break it. I try to tell myself any little amount is better than nothing. Reading about people encouraging others is great. Keep on motivating!
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu May 12, 2016 4:59 am

Phara wrote:OK, I've done absolutely nothing. NOTHING. complete fail. there's no way i'm going to be in the shape i kept promising my myself by summer. why do i hate this working out and eating right no so much? when i get in that mode, I'm a fuck ton happier, but to get out of that mode is as simple as breathing. Grrr.... someone explain my stupidity please.

Can you start small, like even 10 minute walks? Even if you walk to a mart for smokes or even a smoke break instead of just standing? Or anything at all. That's how I'm starting.... A 15 min walk/jog is better than keeping my ass on the couch all evening, even tho I'm dead tired from work. Just keep telling yourself ANYTHING is better than nothing.

That's been my mantra as of late, inspired by the voice of encouraging Ninjas replying and encouraging me.

anynoise wrote:My doctor told me I can't exercise the upper half of my body for 4-6weeks. And, no exercise at all for 7-14days. So, I'll be back in a week or 2. I find it really hard to get back into a rhythm once I break it. I try to tell myself any little amount is better than nothing. Reading about people encouraging others is great. Keep on motivating!

Can you go for walks? I don't know the prob but at least you'd be doing something :)
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Thu May 12, 2016 1:27 pm

I've been knocked out by the drugs and was told to try not to move. Which is obviously crazy. But, today is my last day of the mega drugs and I'm free to move about normally. Yes, walking starts soon! I have to wait to do anything arm related but that is fine.

I am definitely a part of the "walking our way to fitness" group. Kudos to the runners, swimmers and bikers too. I look forward to hearing those stories too.
Garon-Time
ninja with training wheels

Postby Garon-Time » Fri May 13, 2016 2:06 am

Hey guys! So, I feel like I might be able to help here. I've previously been a certified weight instructor here in BC.
Before that I was a martial arts instructor in Alberta for 7 years, and taught over 500 students ( Military style Taekwon-Do).
I also have an experience with yo-yo weight gain/loss.

This is a link from my very old blog from a few years ago. (DO NOT follow anything in it without asking me as there has been a lot of new research and I would strongly advise against some of it for certain people)

http://garon-time.blogspot.ca/2012/08/fasting-explained.html

and

http://garon-time.blogspot.ca/2013/03/you-just-cant-lose-weight-until-now.html

I've had my fair share of ups and downs with weight gain and loss. I'm currently fighting the good fight too. I've got a locked pelvis, a compression fracture in my t7-8, riddled with chronic pains from having hypermobile joints, I've got low LH so I have to get HCG injections just to keep my testosterone level normal, I deal with depression/anxiety constantly, etc.

What I'm saying here is that, I wasn't born with a good body, or probably even good physical genes. I've had to learn and work and go back and learn again, just to keep things for myself running.

The above I would say are my credentials. If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

I always advise researching anything for yourself, regardless of who recommends it.

A great resource and starting point would be to follow Ben Greenfield. the ten bucks a year to subscribe to everything he posts including audio and video is well worth the price.

For injuries, Gray Cook is where you want to look. I can also guide you to some therapies I've either done or heard success from, if you'd like.

Nice to meet you all and wishing you the best!

-Garon
Hail Enki. Guardian of Mankind.

/who
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sat May 14, 2016 3:10 am

Today I went to the park to play horseshoes after work. I didnt think of it as exercise really, but ill be damned if my whole body isnt sore! im not saying I should use it as a workout, but its a fun game that is certainly better and more active than sitting on the couch when you play heads up with another person. Walking back and forth, beding to pick up the shoes a lot....... and we sucked cause we havent played in years, sdo we threw about 4 games worth of horseshoes. 1 game took an hour, i finally one 21-17. I hit 3 ringers :D

Seriously tho, so physically drained since im normally a couch potato!
Garon-Time
ninja with training wheels

Postby Garon-Time » Sat May 14, 2016 5:19 am

It can be exhausting to be outside when you're an indoorsy kind of person. I'm definitely with you on that one. Feels great, but feels tiring too.
Hail Enki. Guardian of Mankind.

/who
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Sat May 14, 2016 12:29 pm

Rivoc wrote:Today I went to the park to play horseshoes after work. I didnt think of it as exercise really, but ill be damned if my whole body isnt sore! im not saying I should use it as a workout, but its a fun game that is certainly better and more active than sitting on the couch when you play heads up with another person. Walking back and forth, beding to pick up the shoes a lot....... and we sucked cause we havent played in years, sdo we threw about 4 games worth of horseshoes. 1 game took an hour, i finally one 21-17. I hit 3 ringers :D

Seriously tho, so physically drained since im normally a couch potato!

You should check out Disc golf

Return to “Lifestyles General”