Your Tips For Healthy Eating

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Thu May 05, 2016 2:24 pm

[h]Give us your tips and healthy recipes![/h]

I really like how Michael Pollan puts it ...

Eat Food
Not Too Much
Mostly Plants
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Thu May 05, 2016 2:28 pm

1) the relationship between high blood pressure and salt is a bad science myth. The number one cause of high blood pressure is dehydration.
Image Image
est 1953

Pawly

Postby Pawly » Thu May 05, 2016 2:33 pm

one of my faves

Baked Rainbow Trout (super easy)

2-3 slices of lemon on a very lightly oiled oven safe covered dish
1 fillet of rainbow trout (you can substitute almost any fish) on top of lemons
pinch of salt and pepper
2-3 more lemons slices on top of fish
cover and bake at 350f for 10-20 mins or until done to your taste
Chow Down
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu May 05, 2016 6:35 pm

Make your own. Stay away from pre made garbage in your standard aisles. Try and stick with as many 1 ingredient goods as possible. Produce, meat, eggs. Other than that, I use spices and try to do the rest on my own, mostly...
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 am

rainbow trout is in season here now too. when i was younger, we used to fish it ourselves. big on garden food and river food :)
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Fri May 06, 2016 3:13 am

anynoise wrote:rainbow trout is in season here now too. when i was younger, we used to fish it ourselves. big on garden food and river food :)

I'm just starting to get into seafood at age 33. I'll give rainbow trout a try.
Pawly

Postby Pawly » Fri May 06, 2016 4:31 am

Rivoc wrote:
anynoise wrote:rainbow trout is in season here now too. when i was younger, we used to fish it ourselves. big on garden food and river food :)

I'm just starting to get into seafood at age 33. I'll give rainbow trout a try.

I much prefer it to salmon.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Jax
ninja with training wheels

Postby Jax » Fri May 06, 2016 5:04 am

Pawly wrote:http://i.imgur.com/vs7PYXx.jpg?1

Eat Food
Not Too Much
Mostly Plants

I recently watched that doco on Netflix and thought it was great! I also like the definition of Food as being something that will rot. No need to get into specifics on processed foods and additives, just ask yourself, "Will this food eventually rot?" No? Then it's not really food is it. (The one exception I can think of is dried beans, lentils, ect., but overall, it's a good starting point.)

MY TIP as a parent, is to involve your kids in buying and making food. My son loves shredding zucchini in the food processor to put in our brownies. And he also loves eating zuicchini-filled brownies. lol. I think that the "Veggie smuggling" movement with parents is wrong. Veggies should not be hidden from our kids, they need to be aware that they are eating them, so that when we send them off into the real world, the freaking buy some veggies and eat them!!!
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Fri May 06, 2016 6:11 am

TIP 1) Do not buy or consume processed foods which come in boxes, packets or cans (exceptions include canned fruit e.g. tomatoes or pineapple).

TIP 2) Buy your meat from a butcher who knows his source. You don't want to be eating chemicals that have been pumped into cows to fatten them up do you? And do you really want to eat a chicken that has gone from hatching to being massively overweight in 6 weeks?

TIP 3) Try swapping out certain ingredients for others. Try turkey instead of chicken. If you can stretch to it, buy buffalo or bison meat instead of beef. Make spaghetti from courgette/zuccini or aubergine/eggplant instead of pasta. Swap potatoes for sweet potatoes. You can make a really bad-ass pizza crust using cauliflower. There are loads of things you can do to eat healthier like this. Experimentation helps and never underestimate the power of Reddit.

TIP 4) Avoid white foods. White flour, white pasta, white rice, sugar etc. should be limited as much as possible. There are always wholegrain alternatives so go for those instead.

TIP 5) Limit the calories you drink. DON'T DRINK SODA! Diet soda may also be calorie free but the sweeteners aren't good for you. Furthermore, they are keeping your body conditioned to crave sugar, which isn't a good thing. Drink at least 2 litres of water a day and enjoy plenty of coffee and tea. Packaged fruit juices are usually full of sugar so it's best to avoid those too. If you like fruit juice then blend our own.

TIP 6) Eat fresh. It has only been since moving to Africa that I have developed a real love of avocado and tomato. The avodaco you get in the UK just isn't up to scratch. I now buy all of my food from the people who grow it and I know that it's been freshly harvested and is free of pesticides and all that gunk. I would have said 'eat organic' but 'organic' has now become a marketing term like 'free-range'. It doesn't mean shit. Everybody can eat healthy, fresh food without breaking the bank.

TIP 7) Have a cheat day. It always helps to have one day every week or two where you can eat whatever you want. Scoff down a whole pizza if you want. Get yourself a Big Mac Meal super-sized. Go all-out Man vs. Food! You'll find that actually, after a while you'll start to think 'I'm really glad I don't eat this shit often any more' because the crap in those kinds of foods really doesn't make you feel good.

TIP 8) Exercise. No, that's not healthy eating but if you exercise say n the morning or after work then you will be less inclined to make poor food choices because why spend all that time putting in the effort and tiring yourself out if you're only going to undo all of your hard work by eating a burger and fries and washing it down with a coke?

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sat May 07, 2016 12:13 am

Myth 2 Carbonated beverages rob your body of calcium and doctors said so.

It was an interesting theory that seemed like science - basically the carbon dioxide in the bubbles would have a chemical reaction the would leech calcium from your food bones and teeth. The theory seems so much like hard science but sorry someone screwed up the math. There is not enough carbon dioxide in the bubbles to have this affect.

There are plenty of other reasons not to drink pop but this on has been refuted.
Image Image
est 1953

ImmaculateStiletto
ninja with training wheels

Postby ImmaculateStiletto » Sun May 08, 2016 3:10 am

Fruit Markets and Farmer Markets!!!!
Have a Blessed Day
Hugs N Kisses :)
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Sun May 08, 2016 4:15 am

The biggest thing I tell anyone is to cut out soda and milk. Both are very high calorie sources and neither are actually good for you.

Mind you I suck at following my own advice.

I also suggest not going 100% immediately, slowly cut things out. Cut soda in half then again and again, stop eating candy everyday, etc. This makes it a lot easier.

And preparing snacks yourself will save you an insane amount of money
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon May 09, 2016 4:56 am

Rwn wrote:The biggest thing I tell anyone is to cut out soda and milk. Both are very high calorie sources and neither are actually good for you.

Mind you I suck at following my own advice.

I also suggest not going 100% immediately, slowly cut things out. Cut soda in half then again and again, stop eating candy everyday, etc. This makes it a lot easier.

And preparing snacks yourself will save you an insane amount of money

That's very wise advice on the giving up gradually, over time. Even with pizza, now I'm ordering it with vegetables and WILL NOT eat more than two slices in a day. Leftovers are leftovers, but honestly, I think we can all eat more than two, but if you're not drunk or hi, why do you need to?
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Mon May 09, 2016 7:17 am

Yea, i tried cutting out soda once... Omg that was horrible, the caffeine head aches and withdraws made me miserable.

But I'm serious with the milk, it's really not good for you at all.
Gwenno
Amigwenumi

Postby Gwenno » Mon May 09, 2016 7:55 am

I just want to mention I fucking LOVE <3 <3 <3 this thread!

Just take your time to prepare your food, most of us are so used to instant packaged food that will be ready in max 15 minutes. Chop, taste, experiment, use your leftovers, take the extra 10 minutes to make a sauce to go with your veggies from scratch.
I have so much more to add later :)
Live today, 'cause if you don't, you might live to regret it.... Amanda Marshall
Image Image
Image Image
Spoiler: show
/anna hijack! :kiss:
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Mon May 09, 2016 11:00 am

Rwn wrote:Yea, i tried cutting out soda once... Omg that was horrible, the caffeine head aches and withdraws made me miserable.

But I'm serious with the milk, it's really not good for you at all.

I would say I am 90 something percent off soda. I have root beer about once a month. or if I am traveling or out and about thirst rules. Mostly because I switched to orange or lemon seltzer. I buy it by the case and carry a bottle everywhere.

Milk is my other story- with morning coffee there is no substitute but as a beverage- not often. I'd love to hear your reason milk is bad for you besides the fat content or calorie count. I admit I would prefer raw milk or goats milk but I remain unconvinced that milk is bad for you..
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Mon May 09, 2016 11:30 am

Jax wrote:
Pawly wrote:http://i.imgur.com/vs7PYXx.jpg?1

Eat Food
Not Too Much
Mostly Plants

"Will this food eventually rot?" No? Then it's not really food is it. (The one exception I can think of is dried beans, lentils, ect., but overall, it's a good starting point.)

The reason food rots is mostly about moisture but dried beans and other preserved food does have a shelf life. The older the bean the longer it takes to cook and be soft. I found a tin of dried red beans that moved from Florida with me a couple of winters that I pre soaked then cooked in crock pot for over a day and they were still like rocks.
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Mon May 09, 2016 11:45 am

Raw vs Cooked

Raw or cooked veg both have benefits. For example dark green leafy veg like Spinach, Collards, Mustard greens, Turnip greens and kale have insane vitamin and mineral content. The problem is we can't adsorb the minerals until the plant cell wall has been burst. Our stomach acid does not do that but cooking does. On the other hand vitamin C is heat sensitive so cooking neutralizes those benefits.
Image Image
est 1953

Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Mon May 09, 2016 12:25 pm

Not so much that's it's bad for you as much as it's not nearly as healthy as the dairy industry would have you thinking. Give this a read but take it with a grain of salt these guys seem to be a bit biased for some reason. http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

Now putting it in coffee etc that's fine, but sitting down and drinking a glass because it's "healthy" that's insane lol

You know that and my body decided to go and become all lactose intolerant and stuff.

Oh yes and stop eating lettuce people. It's pointless replace it with spinach whenever possible.
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Mon May 09, 2016 12:26 pm

And stay the hell away from juices. Once you remove all of the plant fiber etc it basically becomes flavored sugar water.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Tue May 10, 2016 5:59 am

^ I agree with all of this as well.

My Vitamix helps me create my own fruit/veg smoothies when I want them and grinds/pulverizes FUCKING EVERY PART!!!! That is, when im not too much of a lazy dick to actually use it. its like a nuclear fucking engine, i love that thing!
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Tue May 10, 2016 12:43 pm

As much as I hate to say it, when trying to lose or gain even, calorie count. It's irritating and tedious, but it's one of the only ways to keep your food intake accountable.

general tips for and from me: vegetables, greenery in general, less processed, more balanced meals, actually sit down to eat and stop devouring random shit over the sink. I'm an animal.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Pawly

Postby Pawly » Wed May 11, 2016 2:23 am

ImmaculateStiletto wrote:Fruit Markets and Farmer Markets!!!!

These can be great sources for great food but be wary and ask lots of questions. Know what is in season in your area! There are "cheaters" at these markets who will buy produce from suppliers and pass it off as locally grown. I even caught some Amish folks selling strawberries WELL after the local season (they could only have come from the US or Mexico) and after some prodding they admitted to getting them from a supplier that got them from the Toronto food terminal.

That said, I noticed my local farm stand (yup i'm lucky enough to have a farm 5 mins from my house, one of the last in this ever expanding suburban nightmare) was open today. Curious what they could have so early in the year i stopped in and saw only preserves. She upfront told me they were made from imported produce (made more than she could use) and urged me to come back in about 6 weeks for the beginning of her locally grown harvest.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Rwn
Missing In Action...

Postby Rwn » Thu May 19, 2016 11:09 am

Best thing you can do to ear healthy right here, you ready?

Plan ahead.

Sit down and make a weekly meal plan, include breakfast lunch and dinner. Don't forget about snacks. And remember to keep it simple to start.
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon May 30, 2016 8:59 am

I had turkey meatloaf that was AWESOME this evening, with broccoli. we had guacamole for an appetizer.... I made that shit fan fucking tastic!!!!

Return to “Lifestyles General”