Inventions

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Inventions

Postby Corgimom » Sun May 08, 2016 1:21 am

I think we all have ideas for ways to do something better.. Most of our 'inventions' are not really new, they are improvements on how we do something (IE to fill a need) What have you gone up with? Here is video that may inspire some.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/LO_YvEwtWXU[/youtube]

So how do you get an idea? Most invention or new products happen because the designer has an unfilled need. My idea with this thread is to post a few of my own ideas, hope others do the same and maybe new solutions will grow from exchanging ideas.
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun May 08, 2016 1:54 am

My house has a super tiny first floor 1/2 bath with a toilet and a very small wall mounted sink. The former home owners put this in by adding a wall in a hall that already had a door. I love having a toilet on every floor and I do use it daily but it has a few problems.

They put the toilet tight against the side wall so when you use it you can't spread you legs with out sort of sitting sideways and even then I have to leave the door open because my knees will hit it. One thing it does well is flush to perfection. Whoever installed it knew you need 8-12 (I think that's current code) inch drop straight down from the toilet to the first drain pipe bend. After that the 'I know enough to make a toilet flush' person dropped a pipe that runs across my basement ceiling about 5 feet off the floor. I have to duck under this pipe to get to my basement bathroom. For all of these reasons I decided at some point I need to center the toilet in the cubby where it is then reconfig the drain pipe. The small wall mount sink is not going to work when I do this soooo I started looking at alternatives and this is the first thing that caught my attention-

https://youtu.be/RshPpuS1Y7E
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun May 08, 2016 2:10 am

I like the idea in many ways but for me and my situation it is flawed. This is the bathroom where I brush teeth, wash face and all those morning oblations. The sink positive wouldn't have real water control for hot and cold and that bowl is not deep enough for real water pressure. It would be a mess so I kept looking at ideas with a goal of spending less than $125 for whatever sink I came up with.

I watched a lt of DIY make your own versions of the sink positive but the bowls I could (after looking in stores and online for a couple of years) were either to shallow or to wide then I found instructions to build this-

https://youtu.be/C1T45OLtBuM

Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun May 08, 2016 2:15 am

Because I will be running new waterlines anyway I can just t off the toilet shutoff for cold and add a hot water shut off beside it and not involve the toilet in my water on off process but still use the drain. The whole wood thing is pretty but I don't really thing it is the right material so very helpful but no quite there for my needs.

I have been know to do metal casting in both pewter and aluminum. I really think I could put together a a Styrofoam mock-up like this

https://youtu.be/tH-PaNugz9w

but use it to completely replace my toilet lid with a 6 inch high rectangle sink and look awesome too.
Image Image
est 1953

Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Sun May 08, 2016 2:25 am

yes!!!!! i was waiting for this one lololol. i love the way your mind works.

:D
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Sun May 08, 2016 2:30 am

CORGIMOM YOU ARE SO COOL

Um so I might bug the hell out of you to ask for advice on some special projects. We have an entry-level 3D printer (Chinese MakerBot knock-off) and I'm still learning how to milk consistency from the filament (we even use tested filament from a local supplier!). I've seen a couple of YouTubes with the cautions of "please don't risk killing yourself" that involve doing metal casting using 3D printing to make a mold with plaster around the desired object initially plastic 3D printed.

Anyhow, I'm following the swears out of this topic.
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun May 08, 2016 2:35 am

You are too kind and I would love to work on a 3d project of ideas with you. And now I need to consider 3D printing the sink WEG
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun May 08, 2016 2:00 pm

See you set me thinking again- It would be super easy to do in slow set cold cast resin then sealed with a superior clear coat- there has to be something similar to gelcoat for resin cast pieces. Literally the only hard thing doing it that way would be if is needs to be spincast.
Image Image
est 1953

Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Re: Inventions

Postby Rivoc » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:28 am

WOW!!! you're clearly very talented. have you rigged anything else in your house??? Id love to know how some of it worked out. Due to what you do on this site, i knew you were really intelligent and good with your hands from other posts you made. i had no idea you were so mechanically.contractor-ly talented too!!!! THATS SO FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Rivoc wrote:WOW!!! you're clearly very talented. have you rigged anything else in your house??? Id love to know how some of it worked out. Due to what you do on this site, i knew you were really intelligent and good with your hands from other posts you made. i had no idea you were so mechanically.contractor-ly talented too!!!! THATS SO FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Just the normal home owner stuff
built a few walls,
started enclosing the basement bathroom as a proper room with motion detector lighting
ripped out the original basement stairs to
fix a hole in the basement concrete floor
(using a ladder to go up and down right now)
Put a spiral staircase in the barn but still mind working on how to configure handrails
Big project for the next few days is laying a 19 x 12 paver stone patio to sit my craigs list hot tub on
I may buld a pergola to go over the hot tub next but a privacy fence is waiting to go up around a 30 x 20 or so adult play area- a shaded place for morning espresso and a dip
I did set up my wifi on a bugger all large antenna like this-
Image- but mounted to the back porch to give consistent signal to the property back
Image Image
est 1953

Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:17 am

Corgimom wrote:
Rivoc wrote:WOW!!! you're clearly very talented. have you rigged anything else in your house??? Id love to know how some of it worked out. Due to what you do on this site, i knew you were really intelligent and good with your hands from other posts you made. i had no idea you were so mechanically.contractor-ly talented too!!!! THATS SO FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Just the normal home owner stuff
built a few walls,
started enclosing the basement bathroom as a proper room with motion detector lighting
ripped out the original basement stairs to
fix a hole in the basement concrete floor
(using a ladder to go up and down right now)
Put a spiral staircase in the barn but still mind working on how to configure handrails
Big project for the next few days is laying a 19 x 12 paver stone patio to sit my craigs list hot tub on
I may buld a pergola to go over the hot tub next but a privacy fence is waiting to go up around a 30 x 20 or so adult play area- a shaded place for morning espresso and a dip
I did set up my wifi on a bugger all large antenna like this-
Image- but mounted to the back porch to give consistent signal to the property back

HOLE E. SHIT!!! Thats damn impressive, but what reallytakes the cake for me is a spiral staircase in the barn! unless barn is a different name for a living room or something, that just sounds like one dope barn! Next you'll be like Exzibit in "Pimp My Barn" hehehe!

We heard you like barns, so we put a barn on the back of your barn with a moonroof, sauna, planetarium, library, kitchen, and custom hammock with all the latest luxuries of the new age!

Seriously though, having that set of skills is admirable. i can fix and assemble basic shit, but im not that great when it comes to building or even working on crafts.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:45 pm

LOL I am so skilled I fubared my left hand with a sledge hammer pinch yesterday. I have been working on making a straight edge in the concrete along the barn foundation. I was holding level and driving a stake in the ground and when I hit, it went down and the web of my hand got pinched -looks worse than it is. Iced it right away so it is black and blue but only slightly deformed today. I'll take a pic after I pour the concrete curb.

As far as the barn goes there is a whole album on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/psychicradio.n ... 982&type=3 that is public. It actually has an office type kitchenette but no running water yet. I'll post pictures one day soon. or do a video.
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:10 pm

The cost in dollars is insane and the cost to self has been kind of high at times like https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater which put me out of remodeling for over I year.
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:02 am

the sidewalk I just poured beside the barn.
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:08 pm

The barn 'kitchen'
Electric kettle, Super automatic espresso machine, microwave oven and convection oven. I have an RV sink I found on craigs list that will go in after I have the water and drain hooked up.

The cabinets were free- 5 ft lower, 5 foot upper and I have about 3 left over. The counter top is prefab from Home Depot. I ran conduit water and drain pipes under the concrete when I had the foundation poured but I still need to trench about 75 feet to the house to hook them up.
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:12 am

And from others

I really love the skateboard.
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:06 pm

Everyone who has really read my posts knows I play autoharps and may have read a few comments on the 'joys of tuning ' and the heartbreak of retuning. Over the years autoharps have been made from laminates, solid wood, spruce face maple face even plastic coated wood with varied success and many great failures. Rock maple frames (the same material used for mounting piano tuning pins) have developed into a general standard. Just like a full sized harp the frame face and back are constantly subjected to about 1/2 a ton of stress so it is no wonder that a vigorously played autoharp goes out of tune ever couple of songs.

Pete d'Aigle of d'Aigle Autoharps & Folk Instruments is a luther and inventor of a good many instrument improvements. John Sebastian and a number of luminaries play his harps. He recently developed a couple of carbon fiber autoharps models. Every invention he has patented has been the result of problem solving. The carbon fiber auto harp has an even louder 'voice' than the best of wooden harps but more important to me is a huge improvement in that is stays in tune very very well.
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Bathroom Inventions

Postby Corgimom » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:35 pm

Image Image
est 1953

Return to “Lifestyles General”