Podcasts!

Discuss and get/offer advice on Relationships, Health, Parenting, Sex, Beauty, DIY...whatever matters in your Life.
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Mon May 16, 2016 9:04 am

Not sure where to put this so 'Lifestyles General' it is.

Well, not an overly complicated post Ninjas. Which podcasts (if any) do you fine people listen to? I'm always interested in finding something new. I'll start:

In Our Time

A BBC podcast of a weekly radio show hosted by long-time culture presenter Melvin Bragg. In Our Time is a weekly discussion centering around a given topic. The recent episodes in my list are: The Sikh Empire, The Neutron, 1816: The Year Without a Summer, Euclid's Elements and Tess of the d'Ubervilles. The shows are fascinating and deal with some quite complex stuff in a very accessible way - although some people would still struggle with the academic language used. The guests are always leaders in whatever field is being discussed (lots of Oxford/Cambridge professors and that sort of thing) and if there is anyone who loves learing new things then it's definitely one to check out.

World Football Phone-in

Another BBC podcast, this time dealing with football/soccer around the world. There are usually two guests on the show, one always being Tim Vickery, a wonderful English journalist who lives and works in Rio De Janeiro, Brasil and the others rotating between experts in football from Africa, Europe, North America and Asia. Well worth a listen for anybody who likes footy.

Art of Wrestling

A weekly podcast by [pretty annoying] wrestler Colt Cabana. He has interesting guests though so his show is still worth a listen for an interesting insight into the world of professional wrestling on the independent scene.

The Director's Cut

A podcast from the Director's Guild of America in which film makers discuss their creative processes. There are some great interviews on there with the likes of Ridley Scott and Steven Spielberg but it can get very technical so one for film nerds only really.

The Football Ramble

Another excellent football podcast which takes an irreverent and funny look at the latest goings on in the world of soccer. Perhaps a little too colloquial for some of the American listeners though.

Kermode and Mayo's Film Review

Easily the best cinema podcast/radio show around. Mark Kermode is an excellent film critic who somehow always seems to sum up EXACTLY how I feel about different films. His rants are he stuff of legend and he and Simon Mayo have an excellent chemistry which makes the show even more enjoyable. If you like films then you really have no excuse for not subscribing to this podcast.

MLW Radio

A series of different podcasts dealing with the world of professional wrestling. Absolutely nothing here for non-fans. It's quite insider-y but very interesting all the same. But as I say; non fans will not enjoy.

Monday Morning Podcast

The mighty Bill Burr's brilliant twice-weekly podcast is one of the highlights of my week. The man is just incredibly funny and I love hearing his thoughts on various news and current events - even stuff I don't care about, like the NFL. He has a rare ability to make just about anything funny and I love hearing him reading out listeners' emails and offering his (often pretty good) advice. He's a famous comedian who seems incredibly down to Earth and humble and I'd recommend him and his podcast to anybody who likes comedy.

The Nerdist

Always excellent interviews from Chris Hardwick and the Nerdist team. They always seem to be able to get the most out of their guests and they never waste time going through the standard interview questions. They often manage to get their guests to relax and open up about their lives and their work and that makes for some captivating radio. Listen to their recent interview with Gary Oldman if you don't believe me!

Page 94: The Private Eye Podcast

The official podcast of legendary English satirical newspaper/magazine Private Eye. When I say 'satirical', I don't mean it in the sense The Onion. Private Eye is an incredible publication which puts all of their emphasis on top quality journalism. They print the stories which the mainstream media simply won't because they would expose the dirty underbelly of the political/media axis. They run a lot of stories about political corruption and the influence of government and business on the print media in the UK. It's fascinating, brave journalism and all articles are written anonymously to protect the journalists. As well as having excellent journalism, the paper is also extremely funny and whilst British humour might not be for everybody, it's still well worth a go.

[url=podcastone.com/The-Ross-Report]The Ross Report[/url]

Good ol' JR was a wrestling commentator for years and his ability to pull in pretty much any big star he wants for an interview makes his podcast an essential listen for me. Again, not really for people who aren't fans of pro wrestling, but an absolute must for anyone with even a passing interest.

Serial

I really enjoyed Season 1 and was intrigued for Season 2 having been familiar with the story of Bowe Berghdal. It was nowhere near as good as the first season but still worth a listen. The editing and production are very good although the host's voice and cadence have started to grate on me a little.

[url=neozaz.com/category/podcasts/star-wars-in-character/]Star Wars in Character[/url]

An absolutely brilliant podcast from a bunch of friends who grew up loving Star Wars together. Thanks to the four hosts being best friends, the on-air chemistry is brilliant and their podcast is now full of great in-jokes and references. Each week, they choose an obscure character from the Star Wars universe and discuss them (well, generally make fun of them) on the show. It's a really funny and upbeat podcast and is an absolute must for Star Wars fans out there.

The Star Wars Report

Star Wars news. Good but nerdy.

Star Wars: Beyond the Films

An extreeeeeemely nerdy Star Wars podcast which will likely completely confuse anybody not familiar with the wider Star Wars universe of the books , comics, games etc. It's a really great show (even if one of the hosts is a bit too much of a nerd for my liking) which goes very in-depth into the Star Wars story and characters but again, it's definitely one for the die-hards.

[url=podcastone.com/Steve-Austin-Show]The Steve Austin Show[/url]

Wrestling talk with Stone Cold Steve Austin. Usually pretty decent but a bit too much talk about hunting for my liking.

[url=podcastone.com/Talk-Is-Jericho]Talk is Jericho[/url]

A good mixed podcast hosted by wrestler/musician Chris Jericho. He can be an annoying host at times but he gets excellent guests and he does a good job at asking interesting questions.

[url=thebuglepodcast.com]The Bugle[/url]

An absolutely hilarious offering from UK comedians John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman. It's not out as frequently as I'd like but whenever a new episode hits, it's guaranteed to be an instant classic. These two guys are so incredibly funny together that not subscribing is a crime against comedy.

I've got a couple more but that'll do for now. Let's see what we're all listening to!

Zombie
Wizard Behind The Curtain

Postby Zombie » Mon May 16, 2016 9:35 am

I never really got into series of podcasts.. i tend you just stumble on a few every now and then. think the last one was some random guy interviewed obama in his home garage and spent like 10 minutes talking about how many secret service personnel were walking round his home
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Mon May 16, 2016 4:33 pm

Wow that is a great list! Serial got me listening to podcasts. Now I'm hooked.

Straight off I have to show love to my best friends Podcast.

The Jeff Peart Show -Based out of Portland, OR. They are new, would love feedback, good or bad.

A weekly show filled with meandering topics, random trivia, and honest music. Join us!
Both of you.

I have in my favorites a few already mentioned and these: (I'll just add the descriptions they put on their sites.)

Happy Sad Confused

Josh Horowitz talks to your favorite celebrities about everything and anything. It's super fun! Promise!

The Roadhouse

The Roadhouse is a true labor of love, intended to present the full range of blues music to a broad Internet audience.

I’ve often heard folks who are unfamiliar with blues note that it’s “such simple music.” Indeed, it is. But the range of blues styles is breathtaking. From the Delta to Chicago, from pre-war to jump, acoustic, electric, harps, horns – it’s difficult, if not impossible, to describe the emotions conveyed with such a simple form. Blues music is, in my mind, that last great act of defiance; a declaration to the world that, “You gave me your toughest shot and, yes, I’m still standing.” Blues lovers everywhere understand.

Insomnia Radio: Daily Dose MP3 Blog

Insomnia Radio is a small tight-knit family of volunteers on different continents working to bring you a wide variety of quality indie music since 2004. Usually rock-centric, we consistently dive into the musical ether for the love of helping quality independents, for the appreciation of discovery, and the pure joy of being music fanatics.

KCRW's Today's Top Tune

A weekday download of standout songs, including advance releases, exclusive live tracks recorded at KCRW, remixes, and an introduction to new artists on our radar.

SModcast
(no official summary - All things Kevin Smith. This is actually several different podcasts in one place. All comedy podcasts from Kevin Smith or his friends.)

Doug Loves Movies

a comedy podcast hosted by Doug Benson

(sometimes Mohr Stories with Jay Mohr, depending on the guest)

Where do you listen to your podcasts. I'm not a big iTunes fan so I use Stitcher or Soundcloud. I almost always listen to them on my phone via their apps. I've seen a lot of different apps that say they are podcast specific but I've never tried them.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Re: Podcasts!

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:54 pm

/bump

I've had podcasts on my mind today.
Why don't I ever listen to poddies? I've just never gotten into the habit of bookmarking or subscribing to any (besides Phara's.) I'm limited to using mobile most of the time.
Would love to make my own, but I have no idea what I would talk about, hehe
How do you do your listening/ organizing of podcasts?
Spoiler: show
Image Image
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:10 pm

i use a cogi app.. then just email it to yourself for editing. upload to like soundcloud or something and you golden
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:29 pm

ink wrote:i use a cogi app.. then just email it to yourself for editing. upload to like soundcloud or something and you golden

Cogi looks like a pretty cool app. I don't have an Android phone though.
Starting with some of these recommendations I'm gonna try to find a few poddies to frequent.
I really want to make it a habit!
Image Image
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:50 pm

try a vocoder app/progam of some sort. or maybe just use an actual 'vocoder' lol.. go ol skool!

i got one that i used from college to record the professor who talked a 100mph. /rotfl

Charmosa
God

Postby Charmosa » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:39 pm

Gotta bump my own labor of love HighDias

I also like the Savage Lovecast

Been listening since it started.

I occasionally listen to the Joe Rogan podcast or the SModcast
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Charmosa wrote:Gotta bump my own labor of love HighDias

I also like the Savage Lovecast

Been listening since it started.

I occasionally listen to the Joe Rogan podcast or the SModcast

I was hoping you'd chime in! :tongue: I saw you had mentioned that you do a podcast but I didn't recall a link. Thanks, I'll have to put it on my list.
Image Image
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:34 pm

listened to a little bit of highdias.. /rotfl
u guys are funny

AliceElite
//wrestles darkness...WINS!

Postby AliceElite » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:39 pm

I listen to a lot of The Weeds (Vox.com's policy podcast) and occasionally whatever Isaac throws at me. This is a good resource though, i was just thinking of branching out.
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:39 pm

Charmosa I'm starting episode 2 of Highdias - :giggle:
Definitely some interesting and/or giggle-worthy moments.
You are so cute!
Image Image
Charmosa
God

Postby Charmosa » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:52 pm

Thank you! It's been fun making a podcast as someone who has stage fright. I have ideas and jokes and rants I'd like to say but my throat closes up in front of an audience like I'm allergic. Podcasting is intimate first and public later. I'm getting into listening to more so the recs in this thread is helpful.

Return to “Lifestyles General”