Kanye West Is Patching His Music Like Software

Share and Talk About your Favorite Music here. Put us all on to what should be listened to. NO ILLEGAL LINKS!!!
Cree8
the unproven

Postby Cree8 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:12 am

But can his perfectionism save Tidal?

Kanye West released his seventh studio album, The Life of Pablo, on February 14th. Normally, a big album release would be followed mainly by touring and promotion. But that’s not enough for Kanye—more than a month later, he’s still working on the album. Most recently, he updated the song “Wolves” and added an extra track on March 15th.

That’s possible because the album is accessible exclusively through the streaming service Tidal (legally, at least). Over the last month, Kanye has tweaked and tucked, uploading the revisions to Tidal and announcing them on Twitter. Here he is announcing the “Wolves” change on the 15th:

Fixing Wolves 2day… Worked on it for 3 weeks. Life Of Pablo is a living breathing changing creative expression. #contemporaryart

— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) March 15, 2016

Kanye’s fast-and-loose approach to versioning started well before the album release, and has a lot in common with how software developers approach their products. Just after he released the single “No More Parties in L.A.” in January, West pulled the track and uploaded a new version, in what the LA Times’ Dexter Thomas called rap’s introduction to the day one patch.

Treating music like updatable software is only possible because of the technological shift from physical media to downloads, and now streaming, as the default way of listening to music. (Kanye has said definitively that The Life of Pablo will “never be for sale” anywhere but Tidal).

And it has a lot of potential benefits for artists. For one, it helps frustrate music pirates, at least half a million of whom have grabbed some version of The Life of Pablo. But those versions are no longer the “real” album—and in fact, there may never be a final version, any more than there’s a final version of Windows. Music versioning might also allow artists to respond to fan feedback on new releases—though Kanye seems to be driven mainly by his own perfectionist muse.

It’s also possible that exclusive, frequently-changing music could help make streaming services more viable as businesses, by letting them offer something no download or CD can. But that may be asking too much—as our Mathew Ingram has pointed out, streaming music is a terrible business.

Patching music to frustrate pirates?
I don't think that's smart at all. I supposed there would be pros and cons but when I look at it you're gonna be release so many different versions of a song that people are going to be turned of by it if they like one version and not another. I'm not talking about pirates, even buyers. Overall, I don't really see any pros to it cuz when people want to update a song or make it fresh or new, they remix it, throw a few other people on it, and let it go. It almost seems like there will just be several revisions of a song. I think it's dumb. Possibly a good idea, but poorly executed.

Dear Kanye, see my avatar.
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:19 am

I think it's dumb.

I'd have to agree. Of course, I am biased. I have never liked Kanye as a rapper. In my opinion, he should have stuck to production. Instead of ranting about my dislike of Kanye's music, I will stick to the topic at hand. While I find it interesting that he could "patch" a song, that almost suggests that something was wrong with the song that gets updated. What happened to old school remixes? Kanye's approach doesn't seem as fan-friendly as say, Tech N9ne's or Hopsin. I think Tidal is going to fail unless it greatly changes its approach to attracting customers. Forcing me into a subscription service is not how you gain fans, good art and talent is how you get people to buy your product.

Just my two cents.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
AliceElite
//wrestles darkness...WINS!

Postby AliceElite » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:13 pm

I feel like if you have a REALLY good song, it might be cool to have a sort of 'show your work' type release, releasing new versions as you go and stuff.

But that isn't really a sustainable pattern, you know? Especially if people have to buy a song multiple times - I can see the appeal to being able to say "lol I have version 1 of this song, before anyone else got it #dedicated #kanye4lyfe" or w/e but ultimately it's just going to make it more difficult to have a community appreciation for your stuff. Like if everyone isn't working off the same version you can't really talk about it.

Just my two cents.
Cree8
the unproven

Postby Cree8 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:37 am

AliceElite wrote:I feel like if you have a REALLY good song, it might be cool to have a sort of 'show your work' type release, releasing new versions as you go and stuff.

that i can understand. like a sampler. A snippet, somethin along those lines. Or even record the audio with a video on your phone so it's not 320kbps but people can get a glimpse. I think his purpose will fail miserably.
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:48 pm

:lol:

Cree8 wrote:

Nope nope nope. I am not a big enough fan of ANY one artist to care about the miniscule ways that 18 versions of one damn song are different. A remix is OK. As if Kanye wasn't already constantly attention-whoring enough, without "fixing" and re-releasing tracks. Here's a genius idea: Release an album when you're finished making it. [see my avatar]
Spoiler: show
Image Image
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:23 pm

so im guessing he doesnt believe in rotation of any kind. like heavy-rotations on a local radio staion or back in the day heavy rotations on that old turntable or rotations on that tapedeck, or disc player or even rotating music via a digital format and running a great song on repeat! ya repeat! thats what i was trying to get at... so he doesnt believe in repetition?!..as an so called artist!?
incredible :lol:

on a side note, following Kanye in my exp has always been like chasing wind, i just think he's quite shifty
*i also dont listen to his music anymore :O
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:24 pm

girlapaloo wrote::lol:

Cree8 wrote:

Nope nope nope. I am not a big enough fan of ANY one artist to care about the miniscule ways that 18 versions of one damn song are different. A remix is OK. As if Kanye wasn't already constantly attention-whoring enough, without "fixing" and re-releasing tracks. Here's a genius idea: Release an album when you're finished making it. [see my avatar]

:lol: im getting dizzy
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Cree8
the unproven

Postby Cree8 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:59 am

ink wrote:
girlapaloo wrote::lol:

Cree8 wrote:

:lol: im getting dizzy

This is why I don't follow Kanye. :D Just stumbled upon the article.
But yes Kanye, when it comes to music, in the wise wise words of Wyclef, "ONE TIME".

I just really struggle to see the point.

Return to “Music Discussion”