Anyone like Classical?

Share and Talk About your Favorite Music here. Put us all on to what should be listened to. NO ILLEGAL LINKS!!!
Kay
grasshopper

Postby Kay » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:59 am

Chopin is my favorite composer of all time, but I'm totally down with Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Sibelius, and Brahms too. Actually, any composer that liked to write in minor keys has my heart.

The Baroque era composers mostly wrote in Major, but often used the Dorian and Aeolian modes, so they sound minor enough for my liking. :)

Schubert was a fan of mixing it all up, especially his later works. I admire him a lot because his key changes are absolutely effortless. I'm a trained opera singer and sometimes I even miss the modulation!

Fantasie Impromptu in C# minor was the first classical piece I ever had sex to, so it holds a special place in my soul.

If any of you watched Sense8, they used Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat major, Op. 73 "Emperor" - I. Allegro in S01E10. I highly suggest putting that into YouTube and giving it a listen. I pull it from my playlist and listen to it several times a week. It takes you on the most magnificent journey and it NEVER fails to make me cry, but also makes me smile wide in certain parts. Take 20 minutes from your life, close your eyes, and be truly transported. Even the most apathetic person will FEEL something whilst listening to this.

Please check out ClassicalMPR.org if you'd like to listen to a wide variety of classical. It's the only station I listen to. The Classical Minnesota Public Radio hosts are the most knowledgeable I've heard and streaming is available 24/7. They even have a choral stream if that's your thing (and it's totally mine.)

I know that Eric Whitacre isn't "classical" but this man is a GOD. Just... mind blowing. Every single one of his works comes out like he's Midas. This man is my HERO. I don't look up to any person as much as I do Eric Whitacre. I'm a HUGE FAN GIRL in the dorkiest of ways. He touches me in a way that no man ever has. I suggest giving Sleep and Alleluia a listen. You will not be disappointed, I promise. Both gave me shivers the first time I hear them and I was privileged enough to sing Sleep with my college choir. I will never forget the feeling that washed over me the first time we performed it in front of an audience. We were later invited to sing that and a few other selected Whitacre works in Chicago. It was a dream come true.

If you're a fan of Classical, let me know your favorite pieces or we can discuss composers! I often feel so alone loving the genre, so I'm hoping to find nerds like me here. If not... well... I tried! lol
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely check that site out. I really like classical but I'm not too knowledgeable about different styles and composers. I listen to the Baroque channel on Pandora in the mornings to get me going at work. :) I also have a few Mozart Effect CDs that are awesome.

And...you're in a choral group? I used to sing in a choir in high school. Loved it. I've always secretly fantasized about being an opera singer kekeke
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:02 pm

There is little classical music that I am not fond of. If I had to pick I would say I like the grandiosity of Mozart and Bach. They were my gods as a kid but these days the more delicate touch of Schubert touches me. Am I the only one who who listens to NPR?
Image Image
est 1953

Kay
grasshopper

Postby Kay » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:19 pm

girlapaloo wrote:Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely check that site out. I really like classical but I'm not too knowledgeable about different styles and composers. I listen to the Baroque channel on Pandora in the mornings to get me going at work. :) I also have a few Mozart Effect CDs that are awesome.

And...you're in a choral group? I used to sing in a choir in high school. Loved it. I've always secretly fantasized about being an opera singer kekeke

Yes! I'm in a choral group at the moment, but it's small. I'm actually a classically trained opera singer! Two years of Italian IPA in college won't let me forget it. My voice and range has significantly changed from my high school/college days though. Before I was a solid Metzo Soprano, but my range has since been shortened and I'm most definitely a first Alto.

corgimom wrote:There is little classical music that I am not fond of. If I had to pick I would say I like the grandiosity of Mozart and Bach. They were my gods as a kid but these days the more delicate touch of Schubert touches me. Am I the only one who who listens to NPR?

I get some NPR news with ClassicalMPR because it's a a public radio station and they pair with each other on bits of news daily. I don't like talk-radio or news shows though, so I tend to stay away from anything like that. I need teh Classical in my life. And I know what you're saying about Schubert. Great composer. The finesse is his compositions is truly something to behold!
Kay
grasshopper

Postby Kay » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:20 pm

I honestly didn't expect any responses! Thank you ladies for showing me I'm not alone!!! lol
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:37 am

you might hate me!

from my college freshman year until my graduation 4 years later, i worked my "college job" as an usher at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, home of the Baltimore Symphony Orchectra. 18 years later i returned to run their website for awhile. :D

there is nothing like the energy of a live orchestra...hearing these works translated in front of you and through you...
it's transcendental
and i had the blessed opportunity to experience it multiple times a week, while getting paid!
let's just say through my whole entire life, out of everything that i have ever done...from photographing live brain operations for the pathology department at johns hopkins, to running my own pride and joy of a business...NOTHING will ever compare to my time working for the BSO and the place that it will always have in my heart & soul.

i love so much...and my tastes are a little all over the place.
i really enjoy Dvorak. Bruckner. Strauss. and especially Rachmaninoff's piano concertos. :)

not to mention, classical music is good for the brain....
DJ_Darkside
Chunks of Cool

Postby DJ_Darkside » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:46 am

Love classical. This is playing in my head space right now. smoke a spliff to this then talk to me about life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwp1CH5R-w4

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain

ALL HAIL LIEUTENANT DOCTOR COOLCHUNKIA ESQUIRE THE THIRD JR.!!! Lest she blow chunks of cool up yo asssss!!!
/anna hack! :kiss:
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:01 am

I enjoy classical (Beethoven and Mozart) and always appreciated opera. For those that are browsing this thread in curiosity here is some sexy opera and a flash mob that really amazes the audience. These videos may surprise you. :)

HAWT! Yes, the actress is actually the vocalist (Julia Migenes-Johnson). From the movie "Carmen"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8y1dj7bvjE

This one really builds, give it a chance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJcQYVtZMo
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Yes. Music Appreciation my Freshman year of college blew my mind. No one in the Podunk town where I grew up listened to it at all...my only previous listening experience was Looney Tunes.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/66672/15-pieces-classical-music-showed-looney-tunes

I have gone away from classical and listen to more modern instrumental music.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:52 pm

Looney Tunes ... I knew there was a good reason I loved those cartoons ...
They covered quite a few masterpieces! Nothing like the crap cartoons of today.

I'll always be thankful for my first exposure to The Barber of Seville Overture :)

KILL THE WABBIT
Image Image

Return to “Music Discussion”