The Blues

Share and Talk About your Favorite Music here. Put us all on to what should be listened to. NO ILLEGAL LINKS!!!
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Who do you like? What are you listening to?

I love it, the reason I own a guitar! I am terrible at naming names (especially contemporary musicians) because I've fallen into a streaming music...unless I buy the actual vinyl record.

A good article that touches on every major name I read not to long ago:
The Blues: The Songs & Artists
Nice list of short biographies and suggested tracks.

A fun Podcast: The Roadhouse
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:11 pm

Ooooh, I like me some Howlin Wolf and Sonny Boy Williamson.
I don't normally listen to Blues, but those guys have a way with the harmonica I can so appreciate.
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:34 pm

An hour and a half with a couple masters. Can't tell ya how many times i've listened to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPcGJahjsHY
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:09 pm

SRV is the man. I love a bit of Robert Johnson myself though.

anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:26 pm

Brewtality wrote:SRV is the man. I love a bit of Robert Johnson myself though.

Yes. I was hoping someone would mention Stevie Ray Vaughan so I could jump up and down and yell "Me too, Me too!"

I will definitely bookmark that youtube vid for later.

Harmonica: /nodding yessss
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:04 pm

That dude was just incredible. His tone was unbeatable and his technique was gorgeous. I love the stuff he did on Bowie's 'Let's Dance' album.

Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amXSHgx0AeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaXjBP-E6_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGDwVecKJAw

This is my dad, he plays bottleneck blues on guitar mostly, but can also play harmonica, washboard, and musical saw. Been performing since the late 70's. Thought he might get some appreciation on this topic. xD
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pawly

Postby Pawly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:37 pm

Yer Pops is one talented dude! The vibrato on the saw, was not expecting that. Cool technique!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
Zansi'Vara

Postby Zansi'Vara » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:43 pm

Pawly wrote:Yer Pops is one talented dude! The vibrato on the saw, was not expecting that. Cool technique!

It sounds so much more intense in person. The recording barely does it justice, but in person it easily fills the entire room with its beautiful, haunting, hovering, reverberating notes.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:51 pm

Woah woah woah... that;s your Dad!?!?! I just shared the 'Wall Street Bailout Blues' on Facebook. It's brilliant! I would LOVE to have a jam with him sometime.

Zansi'Vara

Postby Zansi'Vara » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:18 pm

Brewtality wrote:Woah woah woah... that;s your Dad!?!?! I just shared the 'Wall Street Bailout Blues' on Facebook. It's brilliant! I would LOVE to have a jam with him sometime.

Holy shit, for real? xD Yeah, he's my dad, lives about 45 minutes out from Seattle, I live about 5 minutes away from my parents' house. He goes out to Seattle to busk or jam pretty often, basically whenever he has time that he's not making up CD's or working on recordings.
ImageImage
ImageImage
DJ_Darkside
Chunks of Cool

Postby DJ_Darkside » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:36 am

Zansi'Vara wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amXSHgx0AeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaXjBP-E6_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGDwVecKJAw

This is my dad, he plays bottleneck blues on guitar mostly, but can also play harmonica, washboard, and musical saw. Been performing since the late 70's. Thought he might get some appreciation on this topic. xD

Your dad is awesome Zansi! What a great voice! Sure would like to hear what the prodigal son can jam out to!

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain

Spoiler: show
ALL HAIL LIEUTENANT DOCTOR COOLCHUNKIA ESQUIRE THE THIRD JR.!!! Lest she blow chunks of cool up yo asssss!!!
/anna hack! :kiss:
Zansi'Vara

Postby Zansi'Vara » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:15 am

Ha ha ha, I am far from a prodigal son. I can play a little guitar, but only a few songs and only if I have been practicing them a ton can I play them at all well. xD I do like to play, I just don't that often. Might have to dust off the ol' 6-string and start practicing again soon.
ImageImage
ImageImage
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:25 pm

Zansi'Vara wrote:Ha ha ha, I am far from a prodigal son. I can play a little guitar, but only a few songs and only if I have been practicing them a ton can I play them at all well. xD I do like to play, I just don't that often. Might have to dust off the ol' 6-string and start practicing again soon.

Me too! Love practicing to the point where it sounds great. Always hate that stop and start again from what feels like scratch.
Zansi'Vara

Postby Zansi'Vara » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Amen. I'm just glad that I've stopped and started again enough times that I at least have a handful of chords embedded add muscle memory. Only thing I still cannot nail down are Barre chords, and finger picking whilst singing. xD
ImageImage
ImageImage
anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Sun May 01, 2016 8:16 am

Do any of you use a streaming service such as spotify, pandora, TuneIn, etc.?
I have found a ton of great stations on Google Play Music. Chicago Blues, Late Night Blues, Blues Radio. The list is long.
I have only found a few streams on the other services. Play is pretty awesome. Am I missing any other streaming service for blues music?
Pawly

Postby Pawly » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:32 am

Born on this day in 1910, Chester Burnett, (Howlin Wolf) Chicago blues singer, guitarist and harmonica player. Several of his songs, including 'Smokestack Lightnin'', 'Back Door Man', 'Killing Floor' and 'Spoonful', have become blues and blues rock standards. He died from cancer on January 10th 1976.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LFjHo7Cdrw
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!

Return to “Music Discussion”