US Copyright laws- more than guidelines

Have something you want to share? Are you an expert in your field? Want to educate your fellow ninjas? Here's the place.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun May 22, 2016 3:06 pm

It occurs to me that we as a group need to have a serious discussion about copyright laws, the public domain. fair use and creative commons.

https://youtu.be/4bK8AZSYtPU

So lets begin by understanding that when we write, share photos, music, videos information and tutorials we need to and must be clear on uses for parody, humor, how to quote and when quoting or paraphrasing and why site the original content creator is not always enough.

Since I have taught these things as classes for educators I will try to adapt those lessons and entertain questions as they come up.
I always begin with a Fairly Used Tale (not a Disney movie)
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun May 22, 2016 3:19 pm

So why is this meme legal? I didn't take the picture, the penis is just a gag trophy. You tell me. This first example is not in any way based on public domain. If is fair use but why do you think it is?

Image Image
est 1953

Psy
Neck Veins & Deep Inner Bellows...

Postby Psy » Sun May 22, 2016 4:05 pm

The right to criticism, although it could be countered with it doesn't provide any actual criticism and is just hurling insults.

I don't know who he is.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Tue May 24, 2016 2:18 am

It was last weeks trending news in the US. Certainly free speech covers the words but that has nothing to do with copyright laws.
Image Image
est 1953

Psy
Neck Veins & Deep Inner Bellows...

Postby Psy » Tue May 24, 2016 4:04 am

Whilst copyright varies per country and the DMCA is a US law (but a lot of countries use its guidelines except in extreme circumstances like with extraditions) the DMCA on altered images and videos can follow fair use if:

Wikipedia, No Source listed wrote:Examples of fair use in United States copyright law include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, and scholarship. Although related, the limitations and exceptions to copyright for teaching and library archiving in the U.S. are located in a different section of the statute. Fair use provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Thu May 26, 2016 12:08 am

The answer is actually in the first video.. Parody and comedy are the specific answers that apply.
Image Image
est 1953

PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Mon May 30, 2016 1:55 am

this is a great thread. I always have questions concerning copyrights and fair use.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:26 pm

I retitled this US copyright- since what concerns me more than the international ways around copyright is keeping us- ninja evo, esp Hanna- on the right side of those laws.
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:09 am

I hope it goes without saying that we are a US site, with a well watched US owner. WE- ALL MEMBERS must follow US guidelines. Write your own articles or at the very least give source link on news articles.
Image Image
est 1953

htrdfrk
The Only Other One.

Postby htrdfrk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:23 pm

Site doesn't have to be a US site. There are always ways to make things work without breaking the law.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:09 pm

I am well aware but that is Phara's choice and she registered the site as hers. Even if it were not a US site as long as Phara is the Queen and head or even involved we have to follow US guidelines for her protection. The government knows who you are so be picture perfect in these matters.

Don't break US law.
Image Image
est 1953

PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:13 am

Corgimom wrote:Even if it were not a US site as long as Phara is the Queen and head or even involved we have to follow US guidelines for her protection. The government knows who you are so be picture perfect in these matters.

Don't break US law.

I agree.

For the Queen! (RAWR~!)
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:12 pm

htrdfrk wrote:Site doesn't have to be a US site. There are always ways to make things work without breaking the law.

I'm not trying to tempt them. That being said somebody find out the rules of the Forum. How does Warez BB work. We are still following the guidelines but I am not here to babysit everybody's bitch ass. Do the right thing. Never forget what happens to me
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:34 am

Its hosted offshore. Hong Kong or China. As a site it is still illegal in those places but the government doesn't really care. As I recall the ower is rather private? That helps.

Its still illegal, if the owner lives in the USA. Its illegal to operate such site from anywhere in the world if you are in the US or a US citizen. But as he is offshore, and just hosts links chances are he is not going to jail.

It is harder to get a site taken down in Singapore or Shengzhou. I have seen sites that had supporting or satellite sites in those 2 place where the supporting sites never came down but that is some of the most expensive hosting in the world.
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Re: US Copyright laws- more than guidelines

Postby Corgimom » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:22 am

/ninjablack
Image Image
est 1953

Return to “Educate Yourself”