WOMEN's History - Fuck a Month

Have something you want to share? Are you an expert in your field? Want to educate your fellow ninjas? Here's the place.
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:13 am

//Fill

Is it weird that I find "herstory" annoying as fuck?
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:35 am

As a public historian, I understand why we have months like this. It is so history program can be created in museums and other historic sites. If you look at the way that women's history has been written, or the lack thereof there is a large gap in the public understanding of female history.

So a month is created, this month there are programs which help celebrate woman and their accomplishments in society as a whole. While many may want this to be longer than a month, this may never truly happen. It is done in the same breath that Black History Month is also done; it helps highlight the historical achievements, of a group of people who history was not at one point in time written down or celebrated.

As a public historian, just because these months exist does not mean that the public will learn anything. The programming might exist, but you can not force someone to interact with it. Getting the public to enter a historic site is an issue for anyone who runs a museum or historic site.

As for herstory, I understand the history and context of the word. I feel that it does nothing to help promote the great achievements of women. Now the National Women's History Museum (https://www.nwhm.org/) does everything possible, and they do not even have a building! I follow them on Facebook.

I apologize for the amount of passive voice, it is too early to write in the active.
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:38 pm

lolol, great post. defo. will be back soon, perhaps at 43 hours up. o_O
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:10 pm

although it is rarely acknowledged, it was actually a WOMAN who pioneered the first photographic image using a process called cyanotype.

her name was Anna Atkins. her contribution is still argued about today.

-------------------------------------------------------------

so what do we call it when significant developments made by women are cast aside and credited to men? male-washing?
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Phara wrote://Fill

Lol, whenever someone uses the word, "Herstory" I always like to correct them to, "Hertory", because it sounds derpier and is actually correct if they're going to spout their bullshit that, "It's no longer HIStory!", in complete ignorance of etymology and basic spelling.

Honestly, I don't really have feelings one way or another on such holidays. People can celebrate whatever they want, learn about their historical heroes, praise their achievements, etc. Just don't hurt anyone else or turn the event into a forum to spout hate about groups outside of the ones being celebrated, and past that I don't really care with what you occupy your time.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:04 pm

NaranjaRa wrote:although it is rarely acknowledged, it was actually a WOMAN who pioneered the first photographic image using a process called cyanotype.

her name was ATkins her contribution is still argued about today.

-------------------------------------------------------------

so what do we call it when significant developments made by women are cast aside and credited to men? male-washing?

That's friggin brilliant. Hmm... Male-washing, splaining indeed
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:06 pm

Zansi'Vara wrote:
Phara wrote://Fill

Lol, whenever someone uses the word, "Herstory" I always like to correct them to, "Hertory", because it sounds derpier and is actually correct if they're going to spout their bullshit that, "It's no longer HIStory!", in complete ignorance of etymology and basic spelling.

This made me crack up. Yep, so on point.

I just wish we spent more time learning cool facts about women. Period. Rather than having a whole bunch of factoids thrown at us for a month.

2 words?

Grace Hopper.

Now that's a chick I want to drink with.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:37 pm

Phara wrote:This made me crack up. Yep, so on point.

I just wish we spent more time learning cool facts about women. Period. Rather than having a whole bunch of factoids thrown at us for a month.

2 words?

Grace Hopper.

Amen. It would definitely be awesome if we just shifted general focus to a wider range of historical persons. People from all walks of life have done unimaginably incredible things, and they deserve to be remembered for their legacy. After all, the things we have done, the little or big ways we have changed the world, that is the only true immortality we have yet to discover. We should honor it.
ImageImage
ImageImage
DaEllimist
the unproven

Postby DaEllimist » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:10 am

Phara wrote:2 words?

Grace Hopper.

YES! The shit that must have gone on in her head!!

I think it's interesting to have a month dedicated to "women" and the impact they have had in this world but of course it's also sad that it has to be placed in its own little special month instead of year-round (counter-intuitive?) So I take it this means most of us are not social justice warriors?
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:28 am

Cooney, Celia (1904-1992)

Celia Roth Cooney (1904-1992), aka, the “Bobbed Haired Bandit,” was an outlaw that went on a crime spree throughout New York in 1924. "In the spring of 1924, a poor, 19-year-old laundress from Brooklyn robbed a string of New York grocery stores with a “baby automatic,” a fur coat, and a fashionable bobbed hairdo. Celia Cooney’s crimes made national news. With her husband Ed at her side, Celia raised herself from a life of drudgery to become a celebrity in her own pulp-fiction novel, a role she consciously cultivated. She also launched the largest manhunt in New York City's history, humiliating the police with daring crimes and taunting notes. To progressives, she was an example of what happens when a community doesn't protect its children. To conservatives, she symbolized a permissive society that gave too much freedom to the young, poor, and female. These competing stories distill the tensions of the time" (quoted from http://nyupress.org/books/9780814719800/ ).

For further, more detailed information, check this link out: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/nyregion/the-bobbed-hair-bandit-of-brooklyn.html?_r=0
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun May 22, 2016 4:00 am

-NOW- Their statement of purpose
The purpose of NOW is to take action to bring women into full participation in the mainstream of American society now, exercising all privileges and responsibilities thereof in truly equal partnership with men.

NOW is the largest organization of feminist activists in the United States. NOW has 500,000 contributing members and 550 chapters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Since its founding in 1966, NOW’s goal has been “to take action” to bring about equality for all women. Both the actions NOW takes and its position on the issues are often unorthodox, uncompromising and ahead of their time.

NOW was established as a major force in the sweeping changes that put more women in political posts; increased educational, employment and business opportunities for women; and enacted tougher laws against violence, harassment and discrimination. NOW’s official priorities are winning economic equality and securing it with an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that will guarantee equal rights for women; championing abortion rights, reproductive freedom and other women’s health issues; opposing racism and fighting bigotry against lesbians and gays; and ending violence against women.
Image Image
est 1953

Return to “Educate Yourself”