Online Education for FREE! (no joke, no scam)

Have something you want to share? Are you an expert in your field? Want to educate your fellow ninjas? Here's the place.
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:12 am

So, a few years back I received a message from a mentor about taking a summer class offered by a Harvard professor. I was told it was free and was skeptical at first. However, these classes are no joke. I will try to break them down and provide many links, because many people can benefit from these courses (great resume builders), and others might find certain topics interesting.

Firstly, the program is called edX, and here is a link to their main website link: https://www.edx.org/

Their partners (the schools offering courses) include, but are not limited to: Harvard, MIT, UC-Berkeley, University of Texas, Boston University, Australian National University, Georgetown University, The University of British Columbia, Arizona State University, Notre Dame, Princeton, Cornell, and many more

Second, Some of their courses go on a set schedule (some go over the winter, some over the summer), and others are self-paced. In fact, if you are uninterested in credit or certification, you can even take older classes at any time. check out this link for more information about how it works: How It Works!

Third, classes are setup based on their certificate/credit offerings. From what I can tell, the vast majority, if not all classes, can be audited for free (meaning you can take any class they offer for free). Some of these classes will offer free certificates, but these "open" or "honor code" certificates do not verify your identity. If you verify your identity, then you can qualify for a verified certificate. These certificates will contain your name, the school's logo (such as Harvard), and the names/signatures of the professors. A verified certificate costs money, but very minimal (Most verified certificates are only $49, others are $90). Some classes offer actual college credit (these cost around $600). However, these classes also qualify for financial assistance that cover 90% of costs. You can take the class, and apply for financial assistance while taking the class. (a credited class could cost as little as $60, a verified certificate could become free or cost as little as $5-$9). Here is the link for financial assistance: edX Financial Assistance

Here is an image of a sample certificate:

Finally, here are some sample courses that will begin soon that I might be of particular interest to my fellow Ninjas:

Computer Graphics - UC-San Diego
Introduction to Computer Science - Harvard
Introduction to Game Design - MIT
Climate Change: The Science - The University of British Columbia
HTML5 Part 1: HTML5 Coding Essentials and Best Practices - World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Introduction to Solar Systems Astronomy - Arizona State

If you have any questions that you cant get answered via the website, then feel free to ask me on this thread. I will do my best to help.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:34 pm

This is great information, thanks so much for posting!
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:55 pm

I had heard about something similar a long time ago, but it looks like they've improved it 10 fold since then. I very well may have to look into this. :D
ImageImage
ImageImage
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:30 pm

I took Introduction to Computer Science and Programming through MIT open course ware years ago but the whole system has greatly advanced in the years that have past. I also took their first gen film making class for short documentaries.
Image Image
est 1953

PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:00 am

The stats class I took was as good as any online class I've taken for credit, if not better. It looks like their offerings have increased greatly too due to expanded interest and partnerships. What I like is they truly offer something for all types of interests.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:48 am

Yea the first gen of free online learning has come a long way. I am on the mailing list for Coursera but I need asynchronicity in classes i take so I have never taken theirs.
Image Image
est 1953

girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:08 pm

Loving the HUGE variety of courses they offer!
A few I'm interested in:

The Science of Happiness
The Art of Poetry
English Grammar and Style
Electronic Literature
Spoiler: show
Image Image
bigsexywzp
the unproven

Postby bigsexywzp » Tue May 03, 2016 10:56 am

In case you're looking for other sites like this, to help you learn more, and get training or education on something that you'd like to know more about? I've got several links to sites that offer free courses and education.

There may be a bit of redundancy here. I'm not sure.

MIT's OpenCourseWare

Carnegie Mellon's Open Learning Initiative

CanopyLAB

Codecademy

Khan Academy

Open Yale Courses

SkillShare

CoursEra

Stanford Engineering Everywhere

Stanford Venture Lab

Udacity

Udemy

CodeSchool

Iversity

LearnOf

FutureLearn

There are more out there, but many of them cost money per course, or a monthly fee to access any lessons you want to take.

For example, my employer has an agreement with Lynda.com for all employees to access any of the courses they offer. For individuals to access on their own? It costs around $20 per month for the same access.
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Thu May 05, 2016 5:23 am

Some of those are connected with the Edx program such as the MIT site. Honestly, I didnt realize how many of these types of classes were actually available.

Great links, I've checked out a few of them already.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Orea
Viva La Résistance

Postby Orea » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:55 am

Oh dear this thread made my day.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:27 pm

Awesome resource! Going to spread this around... ;)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
ghostdogg
Rewind. Spit. Scratch. See Heaven.

Re:

Postby ghostdogg » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:21 am

PhlawlessPhelon wrote:So, a few years back I received a message from a mentor about taking a summer class offered by a Harvard professor. I was told it was free and was skeptical at first. However, these classes are no joke. I will try to break them down and provide many links, because many people can benefit from these courses (great resume builders), and others might find certain topics interesting.

Firstly, the program is called edX, and here is a link to their main website link: https://www.edx.org/

Their partners (the schools offering courses) include, but are not limited to: Harvard, MIT, UC-Berkeley, University of Texas, Boston University, Australian National University, Georgetown University, The University of British Columbia, Arizona State University, Notre Dame, Princeton, Cornell, and many more

Second, Some of their courses go on a set schedule (some go over the winter, some over the summer), and others are self-paced. In fact, if you are uninterested in credit or certification, you can even take older classes at any time. check out this link for more information about how it works: How It Works!

Third, classes are setup based on their certificate/credit offerings. From what I can tell, the vast majority, if not all classes, can be audited for free (meaning you can take any class they offer for free). Some of these classes will offer free certificates, but these "open" or "honor code" certificates do not verify your identity. If you verify your identity, then you can qualify for a verified certificate. These certificates will contain your name, the school's logo (such as Harvard), and the names/signatures of the professors. A verified certificate costs money, but very minimal (Most verified certificates are only $49, others are $90). Some classes offer actual college credit (these cost around $600). However, these classes also qualify for financial assistance that cover 90% of costs. You can take the class, and apply for financial assistance while taking the class. (a credited class could cost as little as $60, a verified certificate could become free or cost as little as $5-$9). Here is the link for financial assistance: edX Financial Assistance

Here is an image of a sample certificate:

Finally, here are some sample courses that will begin soon that I might be of particular interest to my fellow Ninjas:

Computer Graphics - UC-San Diego
Introduction to Computer Science - Harvard
Introduction to Game Design - MIT
Climate Change: The Science - The University of British Columbia
HTML5 Part 1: HTML5 Coding Essentials and Best Practices - World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Introduction to Solar Systems Astronomy - Arizona State

If you have any questions that you cant get answered via the website, then feel free to ask me on this thread. I will do my best to help.

Hah, I was going to say "edX" when I saw this title!! I actually took "Introduction to Linux" on it for free.. it is recommended as online training for an LFCS certification at thelinuxfoundation.org!

Also, hello Phlawless!
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Re: Online Education for FREE! (no joke, no scam)

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:20 pm

hello ghostdogg~!

Thats good news. More people to vouch for the program. I imagine all of their classes are typical of college level classes, just structured to be taught online. I think these bigger universities use them for outreach purposes and to present teaching opportunities to younger faculty and graduate students.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ghostdogg
Rewind. Spit. Scratch. See Heaven.

Postby ghostdogg » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:46 am

PhlawlessPhelon wrote:hello ghostdogg~!

Thats good news. More people to vouch for the program. I imagine all of their classes are typical of college level classes, just structured to be taught online. I think these bigger universities use them for outreach purposes and to present teaching opportunities to younger faculty and graduate students.

I especially liked that Linus Torvalds did the video for the linux vid. yeah, I think so too - i've seen Hardvard and Yale on iBooks or something... I think this could profoundly change the education system in general.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:16 am

The only one I am not fond of is
Udemy, mostly because it is full of self styled experts doing bait and switch to sell stuff.
Image Image
est 1953

PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:24 pm

Corgimom wrote:The only one I am not fond of is
Udemy, mostly because it is full of self styled experts doing bait and switch to sell stuff.

Yah, we do not want to help promote any bait and switch sites here. Good call pointing that out.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Manhal
ninja with training wheels

Postby Manhal » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:04 am

This post is full of great links. I've done some of these courses, and they are usually pretty thorough.
Super useful. Thanks everyone. :)
I am only here a short time. Inshalla khair :) I love you all.
AliceElite
//wrestles darkness...WINS!

Postby AliceElite » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:15 pm

I. Love. This.<3
Candeeoke
The Quiet Storm

Postby Candeeoke » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:02 pm

Such a great thread!! I would say to make sure that if you are considering taking free classes from accredited universities to take them sooner rather than later. Becuase these courses are often not accessible to those with disabilities groups are suing universities and some may be taken down. https://fee.org/articles/special-intere ... e-courses/
ImageImage
Mr. 26
:-|

Postby Mr. 26 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:20 pm

self-directed education for the win
Otakuninjato
the unproven

Postby Otakuninjato » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:32 pm

Oooooohhhh i need to get on this
-live life on a different frequency- /horus

Return to “Educate Yourself”