General Anime Discussion.

Discuss your favorite animated media
Ron
grasshopper

Postby Ron » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:45 am

Don't know how many weabs are out and about these days as in the old days there were only a few of us.

So what are you watching?

Anything in the current season catching your eye?

Anything in the past winter season that blew you away?
(Erased's first 6 episodes, oh my god.)
ImageImage
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:21 am

i wish i liked more anime. i grew up with Akira & the original Ghost in the Shell...and then all quiet until a friend made me watch Full Metal Alchemist over AIM back in those days...lol. ever since, i'm not sure what to try because i'm super picky about it. i dunno...i'll keep an eye out here & try to check out something new. it's the story that has to grab me right away...
Ron
grasshopper

Postby Ron » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:30 am

That's one thing Anime does so poorly is set you up right from the start. It has to hammer all these same things in every pilot and I'll never understand why.

But a recommendation for you. Your artists mind would probably really enjoy FLCL or Nausicaa of the valley of the wind (Old hand drawn Akira style)

Anything by Ghibli is easily accessable to westerners, Spirited Away, Nausicaa, Howls Moving Castle...
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:44 am

thank you!...someone else recommended Spirited Away to me so maybe i can start with that. :)
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:39 pm

I like old school anime, Akira, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Vampire Hunter D, Ghost in the Shell, absolutely everything from Studio Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki. I even found myself liking some other '90s anime but never really got deep into it after it first really started taking off in the US. Recent anime I find to be too silly and annoying for the most part (maybe I'm getting too old?), although a few times I've found some that I enjoyed, like Attack on Titan, which surprised me. Also, and I know many don't consider it true anime, but Avatar: The Last Airbender is fucking amazing... ;)

Anna I think you'd love everything by Studio Ghibli, and try the ones I mentioned that you haven't seen.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
MAK
grasshopper

Postby MAK » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:30 pm

Maaan.. I haven't really watched anything for a couple of years. But god damn do I MISS IT!!!!

I've watched quite a number of shows, but I gotta say Berserk is one of my favorites. Naurto part 1 is legend, Bleach SC and TBTP arcs <3... Samurai Champloo was ok.. Ruroni Kenshin OVAS OMG!!! <3<3<3... FMA, both the original and the remake are epic... One Piece is cool... shit, so many shows..

I'm really into Samurai/Ninja/Sword shit.. Can someone recommend something?
<3
Ron
grasshopper

Postby Ron » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:34 am

Yeah anna your character in the Sig I made is Calcipher from Howl's Moving Castle. Voiced by Billy Crystal.
ImageImage
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths

Postby Zansi'Vara » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:56 am

Not a recent series, but holy shit my favorite anime of all time has to be Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. Brilliantly written, beautifully animated, and one of the most clever and interesting protagonists I've had the pleasure of watching develop. If you haven't seen it, absolutely check it out.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Wed May 11, 2016 5:37 am

Im a really big fan of Gantz, also LOVED SAO and Steins;Gate althoguh they both move very very slow for the first 8-9 episodes.

Spice and Wolf 1 and 2 were the last slice of life type anime I enjoyed.

Kill la Kill is INFUCKINGCREDIBLE!!!!!! super strong female protagonist and antagonist, and it takes the whole fighting anime genre and trandformation scenes and turns it on its fucking head!!!! its a deconstruction of fighting anime for sure, but, what more is the way its styalized, it actually goes with the story and enhances the mood and the depth of characters. Its jsut so well done, like a magnificent piece of art.

I also really enjoyed Wolf's Rain, Samurai Champloo, OFC Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, but i didnt not enjoy either movie.

And, althoguh this one is not anime, but animated, The Flash: Flashpoint Paradox is the best animated movie I think I've ever seen. And im a HUGE Ghibli fan!

It has alternate realities of superheroes turning out different and killing other superheroes, they're banging each other and cutting fucking heads off, literally. its goddamn crazy alternate time traveling fuckery at its fdinest, and damn well done. Its on netflix, and im surprised its pg-13 and not R. IT BLOWS MY MIND that it isnt rated R. And everything about it is fucking fantastic!
Otakuninjato
the unproven

Re: General Anime Discussion.

Postby Otakuninjato » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:21 pm

I will go on kiss anime and alphabetically watch. Couple of suprises in there lol
-live life on a different frequency- /horus
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:38 am

kiss anime? is that the title your watching or a genre?

im surrently looking for another series to watch. i cant deal with childish anime, although some of those pg series a lot deeper than youd expect. as long as its interesting all the way through, im in!!! After I poke around my sites some more ill post what i decide on.
NaranjaRa

Re:

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:35 pm

Feydakin wrote:I like old school anime, Akira, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Vampire Hunter D, Ghost in the Shell, absolutely everything from Studio Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki. I even found myself liking some other '90s anime but never really got deep into it after it first really started taking off in the US. Recent anime I find to be too silly and annoying for the most part (maybe I'm getting too old?), although a few times I've found some that I enjoyed, like Attack on Titan, which surprised me. Also, and I know many don't consider it true anime, but Avatar: The Last Airbender is fucking amazing... ;)

Anna I think you'd love everything by Studio Ghibli, and try the ones I mentioned that you haven't seen.

since our entertainment tastes are aligned so well, i will definitely be checking out some of those titles next time i'm in the mood for some anime!

Bubbles wrote:Yeah anna your character in the Sig I made is Calcipher from Howl's Moving Castle. Voiced by Billy Crystal.

ha! knowing that makes it that much more awesome!

Rivoc wrote:Im a really big fan of Gantz, also LOVED SAO and Steins;Gate althoguh they both move very very slow for the first 8-9 episodes.

Kill la Kill is INFUCKINGCREDIBLE!!!!!! super strong female protagonist and antagonist, and it takes the whole fighting anime genre and trandformation scenes and turns it on its fucking head!!!! its a deconstruction of fighting anime for sure, but, what more is the way its styalized, it actually goes with the story and enhances the mood and the depth of characters. Its jsut so well done, like a magnificent piece of art.

I also really enjoyed Wolf's Rain, Samurai Champloo, OFC Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, but i didnt not enjoy either movie.

And, althoguh this one is not anime, but animated, The Flash: Flashpoint Paradox is the best animated movie I think I've ever seen. And im a HUGE Ghibli fan!

It has alternate realities of superheroes turning out different and killing other superheroes, they're banging each other and cutting fucking heads off, literally. its goddamn crazy alternate time traveling fuckery at its fdinest, and damn well done. Its on netflix, and im surprised its pg-13 and not R. IT BLOWS MY MIND that it isnt rated R. And everything about it is fucking fantastic!

OH! i forgot about Cowboy Bebop! that show was the shit!
gonna have to check out that Flash movie. i have and LOVE all the DC animated flicks but i guess i missed that one!

so along with the Ghost in the Shell live-action, they're apparently doing Fullmetal Alchemist as well. so i guess live-action anime will be the new thing? wonder if they'll tackle Akira. that was my first anime film ever and i used to own the soundtrack as well. i guess it was what, early 90's when i was first exposed to it? i'm old-school, too... ;-)
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Re: Re:

Postby Rivoc » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:45 am

NaranjaRa wrote:
Feydakin wrote:I like old school anime, Akira, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Vampire Hunter D, Ghost in the Shell, absolutely everything from Studio Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki. I even found myself liking some other '90s anime but never really got deep into it after it first really started taking off in the US. Recent anime I find to be too silly and annoying for the most part (maybe I'm getting too old?), although a few times I've found some that I enjoyed, like Attack on Titan, which surprised me. Also, and I know many don't consider it true anime, but Avatar: The Last Airbender is fucking amazing... ;)

since our entertainment tastes are aligned so well, i will definitely be checking out some of those titles next time i'm in the mood for some anime!

Bubbles wrote:Yeah anna your character in the Sig I made is Calcipher from Howl's Moving Castle. Voiced by Billy Crystal.

ha! knowing that makes it that much more awesome!

Rivoc wrote:Im a really big fan of Gantz, also LOVED SAO and Steins;Gate althoguh they both move very very slow for the first 8-9 episodes.

OH! i forgot about Cowboy Bebop! that show was the shit!
gonna have to check out that Flash movie. i have and LOVE all the DC animated flicks but i guess i missed that one!

so along with the Ghost in the Shell live-action, they're apparently doing Fullmetal Alchemist as well. so i guess live-action anime will be the new thing? wonder if they'll tackle Akira. that was my first anime film ever and i used to own the soundtrack as well. i guess it was what, early 90's when i was first exposed to it? i'm old-school, too... ;-)

Im not sure how I feel about live action anime adaptations. its kind of like video game movies in live action - they just dont translate well. The attack on titan movies in live action i heard were terrible from a lot of fans. Although, ive heard decent things about only Death Note. Psycho Pass is also getting a live adaptation. it was an interesting series, but not a true must watch in my eyes.

Re: Zero was FANTASTIC this season!!!! I dont even want to talk about it to spoil, but it was incredible and moving, emoitionally and psychologically.
Gwenno
Amigwenumi

Postby Gwenno » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:20 pm

I've seen the live action Deathnote 1 and 2 and I really liked them (I only read the manga and I was satisfied, BUT that live action was Japanese...)

I'm trying to convince my partner to watch some classic shows with me. He has seen Akira and Ghost, but those are not his thing. Howl and Spirited, he just doesn't get it. He does like Ponyo and Totoro, so there might be hope.
Live today, 'cause if you don't, you might live to regret it.... Amanda Marshall
Image Image
Image Image
Spoiler: show
/anna hijack! :kiss:
Gwenno
Amigwenumi

Postby Gwenno » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:21 pm

Otakuninjato wrote:I will go on kiss anime and alphabetically watch. Couple of suprises in there lol

It's a legal anime watch site
Live today, 'cause if you don't, you might live to regret it.... Amanda Marshall
Image Image
Image Image
Spoiler: show
/anna hijack! :kiss:
Beakedbard
ninja with training wheels

Postby Beakedbard » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Gwenno wrote:I've seen the live action Deathnote 1 and 2 and I really liked them (I only read the manga and I was satisfied, BUT that live action was Japanese...)

As far as live action anime movies the first one was pretty good i have yet to watch the second one. The anime adaptation of it is fairly close to the manga and pretty well done so it is worth a watch sometime. My main issue with Death Note has always been the second half Near and Mello were no L and the ending despite it being the inevitable path felt kinda underwhelming. None the less Death Note is still one of my favs.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:44 am

i tried to start a couple series on Netflix but i'm still not getting hooked. i WILL find something new eventually, i'm sure!

in fact, i'm going to refer back to the last NinjaVideo magazine, to Rivoc's recommendations (sun)

(read full-size here: http://i.imgur.com/agGkUl3.jpg )
Otakuninjato
the unproven

Postby Otakuninjato » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Anyone watching the DB Super?
-live life on a different frequency- /horus
Beakedbard
ninja with training wheels

Postby Beakedbard » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:36 am

I'll be watching it again when they get past the fillers. The next arc looks like its going to be decent.

Return to “Cartoons, & Anime Discussion”