UK Election Night 2017!

Stay informed with these less controversial but just as important news articles. If topics prove contentious they will be moved the debate area.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

UK Election Night 2017!

Postby Feydakin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:10 pm

The BBC has a live running tally going for you to follow! ;)

https://www.facebook.com/bbcnews/videos ... 450492217/

/beer /beer /peace /peace
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Re: UK Election Night 2017!

Postby Brewtality » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:05 am

Well, well, well!

What a fascinating night! The level of media bias was absolutely incredible this time around. I've never seen it so bad. The rich elites running the country were absolutely terrified and it showed. Well, now it's all over and we have a hung parliament. Essentially, that means that none of the parties have managed to gain enough parliamentary seats to form a government. So now we're going to have a veeeeery interesting period where the different parties will be negotiating with each other and trying to form alliances. In the UK, the centre and left-of-centre vote is much more split than the right-wing vote so a successful coalition would be easier to assemble from the left. However, never underestimate the power of those Conservative Party bastards!

This was a totally unnecessary election that was only called because the pathetic excuse of a Prime Minister, Theresa May, thought that she and her party would simply walk the election and win by a landslide. Well that hasn't happened and it looks like we've now had TWO consecutive Prime Ministers who will have to resign after making incredibly stupid, arrogant decisions that have gone against them.

Interesting times.

NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:28 pm

interesting times indeed. the UK's system is still confusing to me a bit. but this has motivated me to do some research and learn a bit more.

just seems like this crazy ultra-right-wing wave keeps moving through the world lately. and extremism of ANY kind is scary on all levels to me.

glad voters stopped it from taking control in France. hope it doesn't get very far in the UK, either.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:26 am

ok, John Oliver just introduced me to one of the candidates....

LORD BUCKETHEAD

/rotfl /rotfl /rotfl /rotfl /rotfl /rotfl /rotfl /rock

UK, i now love your elections
:giggle: /sillyface
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:56 am

Haha, Lord Buckethead was awesome. As was the dude who dressed up as a giant Fish Stick and, of course, Elmo who managed to get 3 votes.

Well, it looks as though the UK is in for another period of complete headless-chickenery. The Conservative Party (the current ruling party) failed to win a majority in the election, In fact, they actually lost the majority they already won 2 years ago and threw it away in a pointless election which nobody needed or wanted. So in order to make up a majority of seats in parliament, they have had to go into a partnership/coalition with just about the only people who will speak to them - the Democratic Unionist Party from Northern Ireland. I'm sure most people are at least relatively familiar with the issue in Northern Ireland so I won't go into detail. Let's just say that the DUP were supporting terrorism for years over there. They would be lining the streets throwing bottles, rocks and fireworks at Catholic CHILDREN trying to go to school in predominantly Protestant areas. They are absolute lunatic fucktards. They are religious fundamentalist zealots who are:

Anti-abortion (even for rape victims)
Anti-LGBTQ rights
Anti-same sex marriage
Climate-change deniers
Creationists
and demand that Sunday be kept as a holy day of rest

Basically, they're fucking nutjobs. And now they're going to have at least some influence over our government.

This isn't going to work out well.

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:40 pm

Theresa May should have kept her dick in her pants... that was a HUGE mistake.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Brewtality wrote:Basically, they're fucking nutjobs. And now they're going to have at least some influence over our government.

mannnn yeah this shit seems to be contagious. i feel for the UK on that note, since that's pretty much what's going on here (US) as well.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:46 pm

Well considering who Teresa May allied with to get a majority i doubt she'll be in for long i just hope its not long enough to sell our NHS. Jeremy Corbin definitely did a lot better than i was expecting considering what the polls were saying at the start. I do find it amusing how most of the media has been against him and now the results are what they are its no longer the same. On another note had anyone even heard of the DUP before this? Seems they were started by Ian Paisley which makes a lot of sense him and the DUP were very much opposed the good friday peace agreement after everything that happened in Nothern Ireland amongst other questionable things.
Beakedbard
ninja with training wheels

Postby Beakedbard » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:47 pm

The post above was me i forgot to login~
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:14 am

Guest wrote:Well considering who Teresa May allied with to get a majority i doubt she'll be in for long i just hope its not long enough to sell our NHS. Jeremy Corbin definitely did a lot better than i was expecting considering what the polls were saying at the start. I do find it amusing how most of the media has been against him and now the results are what they are its no longer the same. On another note had anyone even heard of the DUP before this? Seems they were started by Ian Paisley which makes a lot of sense him and the DUP were very much opposed the good friday peace agreement after everything that happened in Nothern Ireland amongst other questionable things.

I knew of the DUP as I was getting interested in politics in the mid-90s when the Northern Ireland peace process was really gathering steam. The two bombings in Warrington in '93 and then the Manchester bombing in '96 happened just down the road from where I grew up and that really got me interested. The DUP are basically the same as Sin Feinn: the political wing of a sectarian paramilitary movement. They were the ones throwing rocks, bottles and fireworks at Catholic schoolchildren trying to get to their school in a mainly Protestant area. They are utter lunatics who deserve no place in the government. Further to this, one of the major premises of the Good Friday Agreement is that the British/UK government must remain impartial in order to act as mediator. It's hard to see how that can continue to be the case when one side of the negotiating table is in bed with the government. Idiots.

NaranjaRa wrote:
Brewtality wrote:Basically, they're fucking nutjobs. And now they're going to have at least some influence over our government.

mannnn yeah this shit seems to be contagious. i feel for the UK on that note, since that's pretty much what's going on here (US) as well.

Yeah, you seem to have been taken over by a weird cabal of crazy bastards too.

Feydakin wrote:Theresa May should have kept her dick in her pants... that was a HUGE mistake.

It was an incredibly big mistake (for her) and has had the exact opposite effect that she hoped it would. It's insanely bad leadership and that makes it two Conservative Prime Ministers in a row who have completely fucked everything up. First David Cameron does EXACTLY what Theresa May has done and called a completely unnecessary public vote simply because he thought his side had pretty much already won and so he could keep elements of his own party quiet. Now May has weakened Britain's hand at the Brexit negotiating table and has helped to further distance the UK from the rest of the continent through her ham-fisted attempts at foreign policy. The whole thing is a shambles.

Beakedbard
ninja with training wheels

Postby Beakedbard » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Yeah that makes sense generally speaking though most people seemed to have no idea who they were til now unless they researched what happened over in Northern Ireland. I am somewhat worried this may stir things back up over there but hopefully things have moved on enough for it to never reach that point again. I forgot about that point of the good friday agreement well she really didn't think that one through.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:24 am

Me and Nigel Farage were all like...
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:34 pm

/rotfl /rotfl /rotfl
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:07 am

To be fair, I think that's how Farage is generally.

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Perpetually dumbfounded by the idiocy of others? Yeah me too... it's infuriating. ;)
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Feydakin wrote:Perpetually dumbfounded by the idiocy of others? Yeah me too... it's infuriating. ;)

Yeah, but Farage doesn't realise that he's the idiot. He's a laughing stock and it is shameful that a rat like him has been able to have a big hand in shaping UK politics for the foreseeable future.

Return to “In The News”