50 Dead, 53 Wounded in "Domestic Terrorism" Attack in Orlando

Stay informed with these less controversial but just as important news articles. If topics prove contentious they will be moved the debate area.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

50 Dead, 53 Wounded in "Domestic Terrorism" Attack in Orlando

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:01 pm

Just an FYI, I moved most if not all posts regarding punditry for gun control on either side of the issue to the following post in C&D, out of an abundance of respect for the victims and their families. If you want to debate anything, take it out of the news article and into it's own thread. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1211

Update!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/orlando-nightclub-mass-shooting-pulse-victims/

These are the names and ages of the victims:

Stanley Almodovar III, 23

Amanda Alvear, 25

Oscar A. Aracena-Montero, 26

Rodolfo Ayala Ayala, 33

Antonio Davon Brown, 29

Darryl Roman Burt II, 29

Angel L. Candelario-Padro, 28

Juan Chevez-Martinez, 25

Luis Daniel Conde, 39

Cory James Connell, 21

Tevin Eugene Crosby, 25

Deonka Deidra Drayton, 32

Simon Adrian Carrillo Fernandez, 31

Leroy Valentin Fernandez, 25

Mercedez Marisol Flores, 26

Peter O. Gonzalez-Cruz, 22

Juan Ramon Guerrero, 22

Paul Terrell Henry, 41

Frank Hernandez, 27

Miguel Angel Honorato, 30

Javier Jorge-Reyes, 40

Jason Benjamin Josaphat, 19

Eddie Jamoldroy Justice, 30

Anthony Luis Laureano Disla, 25

Christopher Andrew Leinonen, 32

Alejandro Barrios Martinez, 21

Brenda Lee Marquez McCool, 49

Gilberto Ramon Silva Menendez, 25

Kimberly Morris, 37

Akyra Monet Murray, 18

Luis Omar Ocasio-Capo, 20

Geraldo A. Ortiz-Jimenez, 25

Eric Ivan Ortiz-Rivera, 36

Joel Rayon Paniagua, 32

Jean Carlos Mendez Perez, 35

Enrique L. Rios Jr., 25

Jean C. Nieves Rodriguez, 27

Xavier Emmanuel Serrano Rosado, 35

Christopher Joseph Sanfeliz, 24

Yilmary Rodriguez Solivan, 24

Edward Sotomayor Jr., 34

Shane Evan Tomlinson, 33

Martin Benitez Torres, 33

Jonathan Antonio Camuy Vega, 24

Juan P. Rivera Velazquez, 37

Luis S. Vielma, 22

Franky Jimmy Dejesus Velazquez, 50

Luis Daniel Wilson-Leon, 37

Jerald Arthur Wright, 31

-------------------------------------------------

Orlando, Florida (CNN)
Approximately 20 people are dead inside Pulse nightclub, Orlando Police Chief John Mina said Sunday morning, just hours after a shooter opened fire in the club. At least 42 people have been transported for medical treatment, he said.

Police have shot and killed the gunman, Mina told reporters.

"It's appears he was organized and well-prepared," the chief said, adding that the shooter had an assault-type weapon, a handgun and "some type of (other) device on him."

Orlando authorities said they consider the violence an act of domestic terror. The FBI is involved.

UPDATES!

Orlando shooter ID'd as Omar Mateen, U.S. citizen from Port St. Lucie, FL

- Officials say death toll rises to 50 in nightclub shooting. 53 have been hospitalized. The mayor is asking a state of emergency be declared.

An apartment complex in Fort Pierce has been evacuated in connection with the shooting.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting/index.html?sr=cnnifb

Update: FBI source reports that Mateen became a person of interest in 2013 and again in 2014. The Federal Bureau of Investigation at one point opened an investigation into Mateen but subsequently closed the case when it produced nothing that appeared to warrant further investigation.

“He’s a known quantity,” the source said. “He’s been on the radar before.”

Amaq News, a Syrian news agency with close ties to the Islamic State, says the group is responsible for the attack on an Orlando gay club, which has killed 50 people, and left 53 injured.

UPDATE: Seddique Mateen: Father of Orlando Club Shooter Has Recorded Videos Praising Afghan Taliban, Reports say
Seddique Mateen hosted the "Durand Jirga Show" on a California TV station, and in videos expresses support for the Taliban, outlets said. Officials identified Omar Mateen as the Orlando club shooter.

UPDATE 06/14/16!

Omar Mateen’s Wife Under Scrutiny by F.B.I., Official Says

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/15/us/politics/noor-zahi-salman-omar-mateen.html

WASHINGTON — F.B.I. investigators suspect the wife of the Orlando gunman, Omar Mateen, might have been aware that he was plotting an attack, and the agency is trying to determine her level of involvement, a senior law enforcement official said Tuesday.

The wife, Noor Zahi Salman, told the F.B.I. that she had driven him to the Pulse nightclub at some point before the attack and that she had also been with him when he purchased ammunition, the official said. But she also said she had tried to talk him out of waging an attack, the official said.

Her statements were first reported by NBC News.

“There’s an indication that she was with him in certain parts of the process, and we’re sorting through it,” said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is at an early stage. “We don’t know what’s true and what’s not.”

Ms. Salman, who is Mr. Mateen’s second wife — his first marriage ended in divorce — is not in custody, the official said. While a person who withholds knowledge of a crime could face criminal charges, she is not facing imminent arrest, and no decisions have been made on whether she might be prosecuted, the official said.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Gwenno
Amigwenumi

Postby Gwenno » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:16 pm

Aww, this stuff makes me mad and sad at the same time, fucked up world we live in...
Live today, 'cause if you don't, you might live to regret it.... Amanda Marshall
Image Image
Image Image
Spoiler: show
/anna hijack! :kiss:
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:20 pm

The FBI says that the shooter has some sort of jihadi ties... they aren't releasing any information yet but they have solid evidence and eye witness testimony that corroborates that. I'm actually surprised that there haven't been more attacks in the US and UK over the last two years on soft targets. Domestic terrorism, terrorism, it's all the same...
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Gwenno
Amigwenumi

Postby Gwenno » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:27 pm

They can call it whatever the fuck they want, if it is done by someone with jihadi ties, it's an act of war. But they love making us forget that we are in fact at war.
Live today, 'cause if you don't, you might live to regret it.... Amanda Marshall
Image Image
Image Image
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:59 pm

As tragic as this is, regardless of who the perpetrator was and who the victims were, it's interesting, predictable, sad and kind of frightening how different news outlets disseminate this type of news... bias is everywhere, even though it shouldn't be when you are ostensibly reporting "news"...

Most news outlets inside the US aren't reporting this, but someone from Homeland leaked a little more info by accident to local Orlando news. He said; The perpetrator was apparently a devout Muslim and the "device" he had was a suicide vest. I am sure if that is true it will eventually get released broadly, but for now take it for what it's worth. We know how the info on the San Bernadino terrorists was released, and this will probably be no different.
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:37 pm

Some updates made to OP.

Officials say death toll rises to 50 in nightclub shooting. 53 have been hospitalized. The mayor is asking a state of emergency be declared.

An apartment complex in Fort Pierce has been evacuated in connection with the shooting.

Omar Mir Seddique Mateen has been named as the gunman who killed 50 people and wounded 53 others at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida, CBS News reports.

He was later killed by police after taking hostages at the LGBT club.

Mateen, 29, is a U.S. citizen of Afghani descent from Port St. Lucie, Florida, according to CBS News. He has ties to radical Islamic ideology, CBS reports. His name was confirmed by U.S. Rep. Alan Grayson at a press conference.

Port St. Lucie is about 125 miles away from Orlando.

Police have not yet said why Mateen attacked the Pulse club. His father told MSNBC that the shooting was not about his son’s religion, but that his son became very angry after seeing two men kissing in Miami months ago. He said “we are apologizing for the whole incident.”

Mateen worked as a security guard and drove to Orlando to carry out the attack, CNN’s Evan Perez reports.
ImageImage
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:18 pm

Gwenno wrote:They can call it whatever the fuck they want if it is done by someone with jihadi ties, it's an act of war. But they love making us forget that we are in fact at war.

You know it is that type of attitude that got us into a war that we did not need to be in. It was an isolated incident, they happen. While it is tragic, there is no reason to go overseas and start killing people. Instead, figure out what lead this person down the path has he felt it was right in shooting so many people. We need to look at our gun laws, how did he get the weapons in which to carry out such an attack?

There needs to be a serious talk about how e are producing these homegrown idiots, rather than just screaming it is war. We do not need to go to war, far too many guys and gals my age have already gone off to war, and many of them never came back from it.

While this is tragic, I do wonder if this is not just the start of such attacks. I doubt the next one will have such ties. Just look at the amount of racism that is now considered normal. When a few years ago, it would have never been allowed to have such agency within the United States.
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:29 pm

Feydakin wrote:The FBI says that the shooter has some sort of jihadi ties... they aren't releasing any information yet but they have solid evidence and eye witness testimony that corroborates that. I'm actually surprised that there haven't been more attacks in the US and UK over the last two years on soft targets. Domestic terrorism, terrorism, it's all the same...

this.

God... it's like one of those things that you don't even want to voice aloud, but quite frankly, I've been shocked by how few attacks have hit US soil since 9/11. I feel like this might start unleashing the wolves. Fuck this is horrific.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Psy
Neck Veins & Deep Inner Bellows...

Postby Psy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:45 pm

Skywalker wrote:
Gwenno wrote:They can call it whatever the fuck they want if it is done by someone with jihadi ties, it's an act of war. But they love making us forget that we are in fact at war.

You know it is that type of attitude that got us into a war that we did not need to be in. It was an isolated incident, they happen. While it is tragic, there is no reason to go overseas and start killing people. Instead, figure out what lead this person down the path has he felt it was right in shooting so many people. We need to look at our gun laws, how did he get the weapons in which to carry out such an attack?

There needs to be a serious talk about how e are producing these homegrown idiots, rather than just screaming it is war. We do not need to go to war, far too many guys and gals my age have already gone off to war, and many of them never came back from it.

While this is tragic, I do wonder if this is not just the start of such attacks. I doubt the next one will have such ties. Just look at the amount of racism that is now considered normal. When a few years ago, it would have never been allowed to have such agency within the United States.

This seems oh so appropriate right now, a very succinct comparison for why people sign up for the military (Well the US and UK Militaries for sure)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Gs_H0plKo
Gwenno
Amigwenumi

Postby Gwenno » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:59 pm

Skywalker wrote:
You know it is that type of attitude that got us into a war that we did not need to be in. It was an isolated incident, they happen. While it is tragic, there is no reason to go overseas and start killing people.

Our country's are bombing 2 country's every day, soldiers of our country's are over there, fighting IS and the Syrian government, our country's are funding rebellious groups that oppose IS and the Syrian government, those rebellious groups are hitting civilian targets the same way, by suicide bombings and random shootings. So if IS or another Jihadi group goes bombing Brussels, Madrid, London, shoots randomly in a train or in a mass shooting on US soil (or European soil) then it is in my opinion an act of war. The word terrorism is a fashion word, it's being used too much and in the wrong context.
That being said, It's too easy to report terrorism if the shooter happens to be a Muslim, after OP update, he sounds like a bigot, no reports of it yet on out news outlets btw. But let's wait what will be released, and try and simmer out the probable truth.

Skywalker, I agree on the rest of what you said :)
Image Image
Image Image
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:00 pm

It's far too complex of an issue to try and break it down to a few sentences, or by towing the typical knee-jerk, party line responses whenever something like this happens, on both sides of the political fence.

Note: if you join the armed forces out of anger stemming from an incident like this, then you're joining for the wrong reasons.

No big decisions should be made out of high emotion. It never ends well, in some way... That goes for joining the armed forces, passing legislation, electing government officials, eating soup, anything. Get the facts, use logic and reason. Not the logical fallacies that pass for politicized or religious based "logic" spouted by political and religious leaders, pundits and "news" organizations. Step outside of it, way outside of it and take your time to get all the actual facts and think about all of the consequences...

All that having been said; I urge people to take theological, legal and political discussions to their own threads... This thread is for news about this terrible tragedy.
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:44 pm

Update: FBI source reports that Mateen became a person of interest in 2013 and again in 2014. The Federal Bureau of Investigation at one point opened an investigation into Mateen but subsequently closed the case when it produced nothing that appeared to warrant further investigation.

“He’s a known quantity,” the source said. “He’s been on the radar before.”
ImageImage
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:45 pm

His father is spouting some insanity about him getting riled up seeing gay men kiss months ago.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Phara wrote:His father is spouting some insanity about him getting riled up seeing gay men kiss months ago.

Yeah I read that. He said it's does not have anything to do with his religion, and then said what you just quoted... I wasn't aware it supposedly happened that long ago. The way it made it sound was that it was a trigger that happened shortly before he went to Orlando and carried out his attack.
ImageImage
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:09 pm

It has been expressed - in less than perfect terms- that homophobia is not tied to religion when in fact I can find no act of homophobic aggression that is not tied directly to some flavor of fundamentalism.

Fundamentalist of all flavors are one zealot leader away from violence all the times. Anyone who points to 'god wants me to do this' is to be feared no matter what brand of god they spew.
Image Image
est 1953

Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:16 pm

yea it's all noise. He's a psycho jihadi. the end.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:26 pm

Anyone paying attention know that aids and it's devastation was the turning point in gay rights. This bar is a big show and dance club. You can bet the trans deaths that occurred will change trans attitudes and clearlly underscore the need for official protection laws.
Image Image
est 1953

Gwenno
Amigwenumi

Postby Gwenno » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:01 pm

A Dutch news site states NBC claims (on twitter ffs) that Mateen called 911 before the shooting and pledged loyalty to IS.
Image Image
Image Image
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:16 pm

Corgimom wrote:Anyone paying attention know that aids and it's devastation was the turning point in gay rights. This bar is a big show and dance club. You can bet the trans deaths that occurred will change trans attitudes and clearlly underscore the need for official protection laws.

Yep. And observations earlier about how it's not unlikely that the man could have been closeted himself seemed to ring true, too. At least in the queer Mormon communities especially in places where colonizing powers left an especially horrific impact with patriarchy and toxic notions about masculinity (Latin America, for example), you see gay people (read: cisgender gay men) waver between anger at the harmful policies of homophobic institutions and their own extreme homophobia.

I just don't understand how callous people can be. They talk so detached about basic rights and needs of queer people being some fodder for an intellectual exercise in debates that proffer endless false dichotomies, and avoid entirely the fact that queer people, especially trans people, are way, way, way more likely to be victims of homicide than straight and/or cisgender people.

Rage is in order here.
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:29 pm

Update: They are saying that it's unrelated, but really, come on...

Currently there are reports that a man (unnamed as of yet) was caught with a large amount of guns and ammo and some explosives in the vicinity of the West Hollywood Gay Pride event. He had apparently traveled there from out of state.

https://www.facebook.com/FoxNews/videos/10154361871861336/
ImageImage
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.

Postby cerrodepedro » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Feydakin wrote:He had apparently traveled there from out of state.

And why would you travel out-of-state except to do something very specific? And what other specific thing would you be doing in addition to attacking LGBTQ+ people?
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:47 pm

UPDATE: Amaq News, a Syrian news agency with close ties to the Islamic State, says the group is responsible for the attack on an Orlando gay club, which has killed 50 people, and left 53 injured.
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:24 pm

Painful. Who knows right now if ISIS is in any way even tenuously involved. I'd think not because they simply don't need to be. It's not hard for a nutjob in the USA to get a gun and kill a load of people thanks to whatever whacked out beliefs he or she had. The guy might as well have been obsessed with Care Bares or some shit. You don't do that sort of thing unless you've got some serious mental issues going on. Whether that manifests itself as an intense personal obsession with a particular religion or a political ideology (or, of course, a mixture of the two), it has the potential to result in stuff like this.

I hope the Jihadi aspect of this horrendous act isn't the main focus here because there are people who've been killed needlessly and the motive doesn't matter nearly as much as that. All you're doing by focusing on that is giving credence to the killer. You're giving air to their terrible ideas when you should be looking at celebrating and remembering the lives of those who died.

Such a shame.

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:27 pm

cerrodepedro wrote:
Feydakin wrote:He had apparently traveled there from out of state.

And why would you travel out-of-state except to do something very specific? And what other specific thing would you be doing in addition to attacking LGBTQ+ people?

I don't think the traveling from out of state to participate in something like this is so much the issue as is the fact that he had guns, ammunition and bomb making ingredients... I travel out of state to participate in events all the time as do millions of other people in the US.
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:55 pm

UPDATE: Seddique Mateen: Father of Orlando Club Shooter Has Recorded Videos Praising Afghan Taliban, Reports say
Seddique Mateen hosted the "Durand Jirga Show" on a California TV station, and in videos expresses support for the Taliban, outlets said. Officials identified Omar Mateen as the Orlando club shooter.
ImageImage

Return to “In The News”