#NoBillNoBreak

Stay informed with these less controversial but just as important news articles. If topics prove contentious they will be moved the debate area.
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:21 am

There is a current sit-in happening on the United States House Floor by the Democrats.

For a long while, C-SPAN did not have a feed so it was shown by those sitting on the floor by different live feeds

Ongoing Twitter on the subject. This is the hashtag #NoBillNoBreaks.

This is the lack of proper bills on gun control in the United States.

Here are a few stories on the matter --

LA Times - As House Democrats stage sit-in to force gun vote, Republicans return to take up unrelated bills

CNET - Dems turn to Facebook, Twitter after cameras turned off over gun sit-in

//times I wish BBCode was more forgiving and it was easier to use, Ninja needs a WYSIWYG editor, make these post a lot easier to craft.//

Personally, I hope that the Dems kick ass and get a bill passed.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:07 pm

It's not "Democracy" what they are doing, it's a temper tantrum, much like the filibuster it just shouldn't be a part of our legislative process. They literally got nothing accomplished. Yet again wasting taxpayer dollars like all politicians do.

Also, side note, two of the gun legislation bills that were shot down were brought forth by House Republicans.

Plus, the NRA actually signed off on one of the Bills that got voted down... THE NRA.

The bottom line is, none of that legislation would have accomplished anything aside from adding to an already broken and under-enforced system of laws... but I doubt anyone that's complaining about it actually took the time to read anything about it or do any research other than read social media posts and political sound bytes on their favorite liberal punditry station, I mean news station.

Even fucking Bernie Sanders supporters are calling bullshit here. This is from a major Sanders supporting Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/Tehelmin/status/745924559929544704

There are some much less flattering Photoshop meme's of the sit in too that are pretty bad...

This Business Insider article breaks it down pretty well as to why these bills failed to pass.

------------------------------------

Four gun-control bills are set to receive a vote on the Senate floor on Monday, as the demand for gun-control legislation reaches a fever pitch in the aftermath of the Orlando, Florida, terrorist attack — the deadliest mass shooting in US history.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced the votes late on Thursday afternoon. Two of the bills were sponsored by Republicans, while two were backed by Democrats. All will need 60 votes in order to pass, and each is being proposed as an amendment to the commerce, justice, and science appropriations bill before the Senate.

The announcement came after a 15-hour filibuster initiated by Sen. Chris Murphy, a Connecticut Democrat, on Wednesday. Along with fellow Senate Democrats, Murphy is backing a bill to enhance universal background checks, which would close the so-called gun-show loophole, and a bill to ban suspected terrorists on terror watch lists from buying weapons.

That second Democratic bill, sponsored by Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, failed on a party-line vote in December, just one day after the San Bernardino, California, attacks. It was voted down by a 54-45 margin, and just one Republican — Sen. Mark Kirk of Illinois — voted in favor of the bill.

During a Monday conference call, Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York said that if the bill were passed when first brought before the Senate in December, then the Orlando terrorist attack would have been avoided.

"We're just asking for people to come into this country and go out and buy a gun," Feinstein said during that call with reporters, later adding, "Even if you're a suspected terrorist, you can go out and buy a gun. And that's just not right. So I hope there will be a change."

Opponents to the Feinstein bill say that, since you can be placed on a terror watch list without being found guilty of a crime, then it could cause US citizens on the list to be erroneously stripped of their Second Amendment right without due process.

"Is going after the Second Amendment how you stop terrorism? No," House Speaker Paul Ryan said during his Thursday press briefing. "That's not how you stop terrorism."

Sens. Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut and Cory Booker of New Jersey, among others, have insisted that due process elements will be "baked into it."

The lead Republican proposal was reintroduced by Sen. John Cornyn of Texas on Thursday. It's a slightly altered version of the SHIELD Act, which was shot down late last year.

If passed, the attorney general can delay a weapons purchase by any person who is either a known or suspected terrorist, or has been subjected to a terrorism-related investigation within the past five years for three days. Law enforcement would need to get a court order within that three-day window in order to stop the sale, should probable cause be shown before a judge. The bill also allows for the attorney general to take the buyer into custody if a judge determines probable cause.

Cornyn said in the release:

It would not only stop terrorists from getting guns, but it would take them off the streets, and it would do so in a way that's consistent with our Constitution. Every single Senator wants to deny terrorists access to guns they use to harm innocent civilians, but there's a right way to do things and a wrong way.

My legislation actually does what we need to do to give law enforcement first the notice that this individual is trying to buy a weapon, and then the opportunity to take them off the streets and deny them access to a firearm. We need a robust response to protect American citizens but one that doesn't infringe on constitutional rights.

McConnell came out in favor of the legislation, calling it a "serious solution" in a release. The National Rifle Association — soon after presumptive Republican nominee Donald Drumpf tweeted on Wednesday about meeting with the organization to discuss potential terror-watch-list-related gun control with the organization — announced its support of the legislation.

The second Republican proposal came from Pennsylvania Sen. Pat Toomey. He crafted legislation that would direct the attorney general to create a new list of suspected terrorists who could be barred from buying weapons.

"We don't want terrorists to be able to walk into a gun store and buy a gun, and we don't want innocent, law-abiding citizens to be denied Second Amendment rights because he's wrongly on the list with a bunch of terrorists," Toomey said during a Wednesday speech on the Senate floor.

The Pennsylvania senator's bill is not up before the Senate on Monday.

Democrats roundly rejected both pieces of legislation.

Booker said during a CNN interview:

The Cornyn bill, which is the last version that I saw, creates a really impossible hurdle for the FBI. If they have someone under investigation, they're going to have three days to mount a court challenge to block them, expose their investigation, and create an environment where that terrorist, now being notified, will say, "You know what? Instead of going to that brick-and-mortar federally licensed gun dealer, I'm just going to go buy off the internet." That's where it falls down.

He added that the legislation is a front to ensure that "no legislation passes."

Schumer called the proposals "wolves in sheep's clothing" during a Thursday press conference, adding that under Cornyn's proposal "every terrorist will get a gun."

"If the FBI had that evidence, they would've arrested them in the first place," he said. "It's a fake. It's a way to say they're doing something when they're doing nothing."

A "whole court case in three days?" he continued. "Who would think that would make any sense!"

He said that Toomey's proposal "was even worse" because it would force the government to rebuild a new terror watch list.

"We'll be here for decades!" he said.

Another gun-control proposal set to go before the Senate on Monday is backed by Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley. It would ensure that the FBI is alerted of terrorism suspects who purchase a weapon without barring them from doing so. Anyone being investigated or who had been investigated for terrorism-related activities within five years would be entered into the National Instant Criminal Background Check System and the FBI would be notified if one was buying a weapon.

The recent push for added gun control came after 49 people were shot dead at an LGBTQ nightclub in Orlando by a gunman who pledged allegiance to ISIS.

------------------------------------
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:28 pm

I think that the NRA needs to stay out of the writing of bills.

I think that we do need gun law reform. People who are on the No Fly List needs to not own a gun, someone who is mentally unstable does not need to own a gun, someone who has beaten their wife/kids does not need to own a gun. There need to be universal federal background checks in order to get a gun, then it needs to be registered with the federal government. You should not be able to go to a gun show and buy a gun without a background check or even on the internet. I do not think that person, needs to have high capacity weapons, the only thing that they are used for is killing people, I do not think that someone needs to own a weapon for protection, protection from what?? We live in a civilisation that places more value on a fetus than that of a child, that is fucked up? What about the 33k people that have been killed in the last year? Something must be done to ensure that next year another 33k is not killed in gun violence.

I am not saying, to get rid of guns, just regulate them, ensure that those who have them are meant to have them and they do not with to cause harm to people. There are legitimate uses for them.. such as the terrorist on four legs also known a Moose. I just do not see why people need to own a weapon that was designed with the only purpose of killing a person.

Do not say that it is a violation of your second amendment rights, as all rights have restrictions. I can not declare freedom of speech if I walk into an airport and yell Bomb. Instead, I get arrested. The same type of restrictions should be placed on gun ownership.

As for what the current democrats are doing, they are listening to those who voted them in. They want to fix the problem and are bring attention to the problem. As for these guys not standing up against Republicans, maybe they have finally got tired and they are now angry. This is a cool in what they care currently doing.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:42 pm

I've said my peace here. Any more I have to say on Gun legislation and the Second Amendment will be in the new thread I made in C&D. I am copy/pasting my response here into that thread, and I welcome you to do the same if you want. http://ninjaevolution.net/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1211
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:54 pm

The protest is officially over...

http://www.wmur.com/politics/lewis-leads-sitin-on-house-floor-over-guns/40172670

WASHINGTON (CNN) —Democrats decided to end their day-long sit-in protest on the House floor over gun control Thursday.

Rep. John Lewis, who launched the sit-in Wednesday morning, said the fight was not over.

"We must come back here on July 5th [when Congress returns to session] more determined than ever before," Lewis said.

He also tweeted, "We got in trouble. We got in the way. Good trouble. Necessary Trouble. By sitting-in, we were really standing up."

"This is not over. We have more work to do. Keep the faith and keep your eyes on the prize," the Georgia Democrat said in another tweet.

Lawmakers said that during the July 4th break, they would take the issue to their districts.

"We are going back to our congressional districts -- we are going to engage our constituents on this subject, and we will not allow this body feel as comfortable as in the past," Rep. Jim Clyburn said. "On July 5, we will return, and at that time we will be operating on a new sense of a purpose."

Republicans had earlier tried to shut down the sit-in, but the Democrats' protest over the lack of action on gun control lasted for more than 24 hours. House Democrats were looking for votes to expand background checks and ban gun sales to those on the no-fly watch list.

In the middle of the night, the House GOP had sought to end the extraordinary day of drama by swiftly adjourning for a recess that will last through July 5.

The Republican move was an effort to terminate a protest that began Wednesday morning in reaction to the massacre in Orlando when Democrats took over the House floor and tried to force votes on gun control. But throughout the morning Thursday, 10-20 Democrats, including House Minority leader Nancy Pelosi for much of the time, remained on the floor.

At one point, a police officer told the Democrats that they would be conducting a daily security sweep. "I'd ask that you clear the floor while that happens," the officer said.

Pelosi responded: "That's not going to happen" and the security check then took place involving five agents and a dog as the House Democratic leader continued speaking, undeterred.

Pelosi said later the sit-in would continue "until hell freezes over."

House Speaker Paul Ryan on Thursday accused the Democrats of throwing the House into "chaos" and threatening democracy. He said Republicans were looking at all options to stop the sit-in, if the Democrats continued it.

Sen. Susan Collins, a Maine Republican, criticized the sit-in and said it was a setback to her efforts to build bipartisan support for her legislation that would ban gun sales to people on a list of possible terrorists.

"It is not helpful to have had the sit-in on the House side because that made it partisan, and I've worked very hard to keep this bipartisan so that setback our efforts somewhat," she said of her bill which may be put to a procedural vote on Thursday.

Although Republicans leaders had shut off House cameras, Democrats continued Thursday morning to livestream their activities on the floor. Rep. Mark Takano plugged his phone into an external power source, set it on top of a chair facing the podium, and was streaming on his Facebook page even though he'd left the chamber to appear on CNN's "New Day."

The sit-in became a social media happening. Tweets sent by Reps. Scott Peters and Eric Swalwell with Periscopes were viewed over 1 million times and the hashtags #NoBillNoBreak and #HoldTheFloor were tweeted over 1.4 million times, according to Twitter.

Shortly after 8:00 a.m. Florida Rep. Ted Deutch gave an impassioned speech on the floor.

"I am tired, I am cold, and I am hungry. Let me remind everyone watching how privileged I am to be tired, cold, and hungry," he said. "These are feelings that I am privileged to have because so many will never feel that again," referring to victims of gun violence.

Overall, more than 170 Democrats took part in the sit in, lawmakers said.

House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer said at 3:36 a.m., "The Republicans have left in the dead of night with business unfinished."

Republicans said earlier that they wouldn't give Democrats the gun control votes they wanted.

"Democrats can continue to talk, but the reality is that they have no end-game strategy," Ryan's spokeswoman AshLee Strong said in a statement. "The Senate has already defeated the measure they're calling for. The House is focused on eliminating terrorists, not constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens. And no stunts on the floor will change that."

The tension exploded onto the floor just after 10 p.m. Wednesday when Ryan gaveled the chamber into order to hold a procedural vote on an unrelated matter. A dramatic scene unfolded as throngs of Democrats -- some holding signs with the names of victims of gun violence -- remained in the House well, chanting "no bill, no break" and "shame shame shame." They also sang the protest anthem "We Shall Overcome."

Such displays would normally be prohibited, but Ryan, sensitive to the attention being paid to the sit-in, declined to enforce the traditional order in the House.

The political world started Wednesday focused on insults flying between Donald Drumpf and Hillary Clinton.

But the sit-in refocused attention on Capitol Hill, where lawmakers have been unable to act on gun control legislation in the aftermath of the Orlando shooting. And Lewis, 76, perhaps the most prominent of the 1960s-era civil rights leaders still alive, said it reminded him of his early days protesting to end segregation.

"We're going to continue to sit in and sit down," he said Wednesday night.

Ahead of the vote, dozens of Democratic House members gathered around Democratic Whip Rep. Steny Hoyer as he equated their sit-in with the civil rights protests led by figures like Lewis and Rep. Jim Clyburn five decades ago.

"We stand here saying Paul Ryan, help give us the right to vote on these two bills, make America safer!" Hoyer said.

As the two sides raced to the night-time showdown in the House, staff brought in food, pillows and even sleeping bags. Lawmakers announced they had brought in battery packs to keep the livestream on Periscope going through the night.

In an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Ryan dismissed the sit-in effort as a "publicity stunt." Behind closed doors, he promised Republicans they would vote on an unrelated veto override measure and Zika funding legislation.

The sit-in follows the shooting at an Orlando gay nightclub earlier this month that killed 49 people -- the deadliest incident of gun violence in American history. The shooting renewed the debate over gun control legislation, which seems poised to go nowhere in Congress. The Senate blocked several gun measures Monday even as a CNN/ORC poll this week found that public support for changes such as tighter background checks hovers around 90%.

Several Republican congressmen criticized the sit-in as a political stunt.

"Calling this a sit-in is a disgrace to Woolworth's," Rep. Mark Walker of North Carolina tweeted. "They sat-in for rights. Dems are 'sitting-in' to strip them away."

As the sit-in continued, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee used the opportunity to fundraise, with Pelosi telling supporters, "I need 6,000 gifts in the door during tonight's sit-in. Will you pitch in $1?"

The sit-in evoked memories of a protest by House Republicans in August 2008 to push for a vote on offshore drilling. When Pelosi, then the House speaker, adjourned for Congress' summer recess, a handful of House GOP members remained as the lights and microphones inside the chamber were turned off and House cameras, controlled by the speaker's office, were switched off.

Democrats rallied behind the sit-in. Some, including Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, joined the protest while others delivered snacks and sodas.

Lewis was also encouraged by President Barack Obama and former President Bill Clinton.

"Thank you John Lewis for leading on gun violence where we need it most," Obama tweeted.

Clinton tweeted his praise, writing, "This is leadership" and linking to Lewis' tweet about the sit-in.

Lewis organized sit-ins at segregated lunch counters after being inspired to join Martin Luther King Jr.'s crusade for equality and eventually led the mass march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama, on Bloody Sunday in 1965, one of the epochal events in American history. Lewis was beaten so badly by Alabama state troopers that they fractured his skull.

As Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz recounted reading the resignation letter from former Rep. Gabby Giffords, who was wounded in a shooting in 2011, from the same House lectern four years ago, she began tearing up.

"No more Auroras, no more Orlandos!" she shouted, to a standing ovation. Pelosi, who led Hillary Clinton into a meeting with congressional Democrats just hours before the sit-in began, stood and applauded with the other Democratic congressmen and senators gathered in the chamber.

And later, as Wasserman Schultz got up to leave, Lewis hugged her.

As the sit-in gathered momentum, Connecticut Democratic Sen. Chris Murphy, a prominent gun control advocate following the Sandy Hook school massacre in 2012, walked over and joined. The lawmaker led a nearly 15-hour filibuster in the Senate last week asking lawmakers to vote on gun reform. Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid and Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin also joined the group.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the lawmakers participating in the sit-in were showing the kind of "frustration and even anger that people around the country have about the inability of the Republican-led Congress to take common sense steps that would protect the American people."
ImageImage

Return to “In The News”