How do you feel on fetal reduction?

Stay informed with these less controversial but just as important news articles. If topics prove contentious they will be moved the debate area.
Philly
adept ninja

How do you feel on fetal reduction?

Postby Philly » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:35 pm

https://goo.gl/images/TKn9bB
So a woman who underwent ivf implanted at least 2 fertilized eggs wants to abort one of her perfectly healthy babies because she doesn't want twins. A hospital denied her claiming its not medically necessary so now she's suing for discrimination

I personally couldn't go thru with an abortion but I usually believe in a woman's right to choose., but not on this case. If she only wanted one baby, she shoulda only implanted one. The article is heavily pro-life but also raises a few good points. What do u guys think?
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Re: How do you feel on fetal reduction?

Postby Feydakin » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:22 pm

I'm pro choice, it's not really any different than aborting a regular unwanted pregnancy, so she should be able to do whatever she wants.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:51 pm

I also pro-choice, she should be allowed to do what she wishes with her own body.

Personally, if I would have had this done, I'd keep both. I see it as a two for one. Only need to do the whole birth thing once, and then I would then get fixed.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:17 pm

As a woman I always side with prochoice. Keep the justice system away from my uterus. Maybe republicans need to be reminded they are supposed to be the party of less government.

And let's get real- how is this news? Kinda not really.
Image Image
est 1953

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:12 pm

Philly wrote:https://goo.gl/images/TKn9bB
So a woman who underwent ivf implanted at least 2 fertilized eggs wants to abort one of her perfectly healthy babies because she doesn't want twins. A hospital denied her claiming its not medically necessary so now she's suing for discrimination

I personally couldn't go thru with an abortion but I usually believe in a woman's right to choose., but not on this case. If she only wanted one baby, she shoulda only implanted one. The article is heavily pro-life but also raises a few good points. What do u guys think?

Standard procedure to implant 2 and yes most IVF mothers decide to keep both but this her choice and the hospital is being dickish. I should also point out that the statement calls them babies. According to medicine and the law they are not babies until they are born. They are embryos- potential humans- not humans yet. If you believe they are babies then this is a hot button. If you do not then not so much.
Image Image
est 1953

Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:28 pm

The article is very pro life which I can't help but I still think the topic is worth discussing even if its getting labeled as an abortion issue rather than the woman trying to make it a discrimination thing. I think if the Dr says "no I refuse, here's Dr ______'s info" its not discrimination its just how drs work
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:58 am

Well here's the thing that I always say; You cannot legislate from a place of religious dogma. Freedom OF religion also means freedom FROM religion. As in most cases people that are pro-life are coming from a place of religious belief that the moment of conception creates a soul, and to kill that soul as tantamount to murder. Not everyone believes that, so not everyone should be subject to that dogma in a free society. Now I agree that the slope becomes slippery the closer the fetus comes to being viable, so I do agree with the compromise of making unnecessary late term abortions illegal... but there are a lot of mitigating factors to look at and everything should be taken on a case by case basis.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:12 am

It was a topic of debate in the 70's. We have been talking this into a drain hole for 40 years. Find something new to say and I will participate but here is my pre decided conclusion- no one's mind is going to change.

If a fetus is a baby you think it is murder.
if a fetus is a fetus abortion is personal and sad.

Also the whole soul thing requires belief that the soul appears at conception which is at the least ludicrous, certainly in the Judio Christian system but hey zealots need something to rant about.
Image Image
est 1953

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:08 pm

Which is why I wonder why people keep harping on it... it's not like God has come down and in no uncertain terms declared that he actually exists and abortion is murder, nor has science confirmed that the body even has a "soul", never mind when the soul enters the body. I wouldn't begrudge people their beliefs, or belittle them, but people HAVE to understand that legislating via religious belief is WRONG.
ImageImage

Return to “In The News”