Presidents First Act: Removal of US in Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)

Stay informed with these less controversial but just as important news articles. If topics prove contentious they will be moved the debate area.
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Presidents First Act: Removal of US in Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)

Postby Feydakin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:34 pm

This is a copypasta directly from my personal Facebook...

OK this is really weird, I know, me sharing a Young Turks video... it's making me a little ill, but this is something where our interests line up. The Trans-Pacific Partnership or TPP, and why it is bad. Yes, Drumpf is right now as we speak getting ready to sign an executive order undoing US involvement in the TPP (just like Bernie and eventually even Hillary wanted). This video does a decent job of explaining the bigger points of the TPP and why it is terrible. We need better deals yes, but the real issues I have with it is how it will effect medical costs and the chilling effect it will have on the internet and fair use. It gives too much power to corporations over sovereign governments.

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Re: Presidents First Act: Removal of US in Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)

Postby Brewtality » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:39 pm

The TTIP which dealt with US-European trade relations will also be done away with - which is excellent news. Those trade deals are incredible. They were written and negotiated behind closed doors with absolute secrecy, which is enough to raise every alarm bell you need. They would have essentially overridden the democratically elected governments of any signatory countries and allow private companies to sue governments - i.e. YOU AND I - for not letting them do what they want. There was a pending case between an energy company and the Swedish government where the company was suing Sweden for loss of earnings when the Swedish government decided to go with renewable/sustainable energy instead of oil and gas. That's not the world I want to live in and I am very happy indeed that these restrictive and undemocratic trade deals seem to be coming to an end.

Clinton was one of the biggest proponents of the TTIP and was one of the authors of the deal so she definitely didn't want to have it canned.

I think as shocking as you sharing a Young Turks video is me agreeing that Drumpf is doing the right thing here.

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:47 pm

I can't find the video, but Clinton actually backpedaled on TTP during her campaign... if I can find it I will post it but it's been months.

Now let's hope that Drumpf actually renegotiates these trade deals and takes out the parts that everyone was worried about... including the stuff about copyright and Fair Use.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Yeah, I remember Clinton doing some back-pedalling but I wouldn't have trusted her on that one. I definitely can't imagine here dumping a trade deal she worked for years on just for a bit of good PR. Much better to just say you're against it now, give it a year or so and then push it through with a couple of minor cosmetic changes. I will be VERY interested to see how Drumpf handles international trade. It will be especially interesting seeing how he deals with the UK now that they/we have decided to go 'full Brexit' and completely leave the European Single Market.

Psy
Neck Veins & Deep Inner Bellows...

Postby Psy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Brewtality wrote:Yeah, I remember Clinton doing some back-pedalling but I wouldn't have trusted her on that one. I definitely can't imagine here dumping a trade deal she worked for years on just for a bit of good PR. Much better to just say you're against it now, give it a year or so and then push it through with a couple of minor cosmetic changes. I will be VERY interested to see how Drumpf handles international trade. It will be especially interesting seeing how he deals with the UK now that they/we have decided to go 'full Brexit' and completely leave the European Single Market.

Well there's been talk of this CANZUK think, Canada Australia, New Zealand and UK. Basically the Commonwealth is back bitches.
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Well I'll be watching the whole thing from afar here in Africa! No chance of me going back with all this carry-on.

NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:18 am

Feydakin wrote:We need better deals yes, but the real issues I have with it is how it will effect medical costs and the chilling effect it will have on the internet and fair use.

while this might seem like a good thing & all, don't hold your breath on keeping the internet free. his choice for FCC chair is poised to destroy net neutrality.
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:06 pm

Actually, his first act was to declare the day he was sworn in as Patriotic Devotion Day! Then he signed the stuff for his cabinet picks, I'm still working by calling my Senate peeps to not confirm the crazy lady he wants for Sec. of Ed. I know, I watched that shit live on CNN, the one network that he hates.

I doubt that he will do much in terms of "trade deals" the man is crazy. He told Mexico do not even bother to come to the United States unless they have a plan to pay for his dumb ass wall! Mexico is an ally and trading partner. They are on our southern border, you normally want great relations when you share a common land.

He tells companies in the United States to build shit here, if not then they fill face a border tax, yea that is a tariff. They thought that he could bully the US companies into doing his bidding. What happened to the idea of capitalism that most neo-conservatives just love, you know, hire who you want, make what you want, make it where you want, the government has no control over your business. Cause that is what they screamed for the past 8 years, now that Drumpf is in office, the Federal Government can now handle that.

Here is to hoping that FCC is not gutted so badly that we lose our ability to actually use the internet. With the idea of leveled internet being a real concern.

At this point in time, I have to walk away from threads like this on Ninja and Facebook. Trying to understand why someone would vote for a person so vile and immoral is beyond me. I have been called every name in the book, I'm done. Let the Republicans have these four years, I'll do what I can and protect my own family.

Skywalker.
Mr. 26
:-|

Postby Mr. 26 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:47 pm

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:05 pm

:lawl:
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:46 am

not president....more like self-proclaimed king at this point already

i cannot even BEGIN to go into the gigantic facepalm this first week alone has been. at this rate he does about ONE somewhat agreeable move for every 50 WTF moments. i'm so completely disgusted with the republican party hypocrites just blindly supporting the shitstorm going on all around. even more, i'm SO over hearing the "shut up we won get over it you're just mad because Hillary lost stop the hate why can't we all come together he IS Your President so suck it up" BULLSHIT coming from that side on constant blast, spin & repeat. literally just shutting down their brains, soaking up their daily talking points and ALTERNATIVE FACTS so they can later repeat it all to their little facebook circles of approval, all the while either too stupid and lazy to want to understand - or just flat-out pretending they don't KNOW - why people are supremely pissed off and some flat-out SCARED for their lives, their families, their daughters and mothers, and any loved ones who might have skin darker than a brown paper bag.

these idiot cunts are now reveling in the quick death of real journalism, the very institution protected by the CONSTITUTION that everyone is supposed to be so in love with - the very thing that we NEED as a nation to challenge our "leaders" and speak truth to power - along with the suppression of any and all dissenting speech, as it's always "best to get the news directly from the president." omg omg omg not to mention that fucking TOOL of a propaganda-fear-mongering-loudmouth-piece-of-shit Alex Jones might as well be running the country, since he & Drumpf are butt buddies apparently.

and in the first week he's doing it with all the flair of a true dictator. ahhhhh people getting detained at the border who are US citizens but happen to also have DUAL citizenship??...OH OH and being asked...how they feel...about Drumpf?!?!

WHAT THE FUCK COUNTRY IS THIS I'M IN NOW?!??!??!?!?!

yeah i just can't. do. this.

i'm going to need to just concentrate on keeping stress low so my pain is low. especially since i keep hearing whispers of impending doom regarding my very very desperately needed medicaid...you know since his campaign promise went something along the lines of "if i repeal obamacare i won't leave people in the dust without having a replacement"...yet the cronies surrounding him are ready to rip it all up including the expanded medicaid coverage i get like, yesterday. because block grants left up to the individual states to decide what to do with is really going to be change for the better.

so i'm just waiting to see if i will even be able to have ANY kind of a life as we move into the upcoming months. because no coverage = no medications = no functioning at all and pain levels to a degree that one wishes to shoot oneself in the head.

sure hope he enjoys his day screening a movie tomorrow, though!
/62

but yeah, i'm just mad because i'm a "sore loser".... /atf ...

* and please, no one needs to try and "educate me" on who/what Alex Jones is. i've run around in conspiracy circles for 25 years now, and know allllll about his game. don't. even. try it. fuck Alex Jones.

Return to “In The News”