Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Stay informed with these less controversial but just as important news articles. If topics prove contentious they will be moved the debate area.

should it be ok in this day and age... what do you think?

You may select up to 3 options

 
 
View results
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:10 pm

ink wrote:
NaranjaRa wrote:
ink wrote:wow yo, i cannot believe how fast this is turning into a sh!t sammich.

what do you mean? i'm the only one speaking here so far. are you still under the impression i believe it is OK to throw this word around?!?
/62

/rotfl

something told me i shouldve clarified that more.. what i meant, was taking into account of various reactions around the web on this topic.. like a general consensus. not the thread silly.. :lawl:

love ya anna!!! <3

oh! /blush
phew! :giggle: thank you for clarifying that. i was going over & over what i wrote trying to figure out what i might need to further re-explain! :giggle:
/peace :heart:
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:18 pm

ink wrote:
NaranjaRa wrote:
ink wrote:picture this..

a system is created. tools are designed for the continuity of that system. the system evolves, and as the framework of the system becomes more advanced, older tools become obsolete. discarded, relegated to those left in the wake of its inherent intent. plainly, the use of the word "nigga" is a bond between two particular people, under a shared, common struggle.. which is this system, created by design.

its a yoke. like a yoke on a donkey or an ox. metaphorically speaking, u see...

it has a lateral movement within this experience. if one benefits from this system, even by default, they are foreign to this experience, by a position elevated up, outside of its effects. now the movement changes vertically and becomes hostile. in this way, it cannot be received. it is impossible. call it momentum or physics or whatever, but there is just too much weight attached to this. and in knowing that, remember within each individual that falls under that yoke, they have different levels of pain, anger and shame anchored to that word. its levels to this.

..and those that might get too familiar. this is an issue unto itself, but for clarity, i'd like to throw in my perspective as well. look, we all know poverty does not discriminate. picture a very diverse impoverished community, the bubbles surrounding two different cultures are bound to overlap, thus creating a shared experience. now strap this system over everything and now the experience begins to change, as the yoke only effects particular groups and cultures. so again, in the silence is the suffering, and that is the disconnect. its when people get complacent and lethargic in regard for one another that creates problems. so even though, many share the same income and even space, not everyone bears that yoke. so please dont look to adopt or appropriate such a thing as this word.. for real.. the idea is so silly. why put on what so many are trying to take off?? unless ofc, your ben-hur or something and going to singlehandedly takedown the system. /:



1st amendment version:
kick around the word nigga all you want.. just understand that you are doing so at your own risk.
the consequences might not pan out like you think

so are you taking the stance that any time that someone white uses this word, it is hateful and hurtful no matter the circumstance, context, or intention surrounding it?

//sigh


so hours of organizing my words so that some may gain understanding into the nuance within this subject, and all you got from that was an absolute..!? :-|
idk what else to tell you..

not necessarily, no. but i did feel like i needed to know if You held that absolute or not, as so many are and do. as eloquent as you described your take on the situation, i think i still needed to hear that direct question answered.

...actually....kind of how you took away the opposite conclusion of what i was attempting to say from my initial long, thought-out post at first...

and thus we have a perfect example of why we all need to keep talking & hashing this mess out with one another. /nod
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:22 pm

*once again, for the record, i am only gathering a general consensus of public opinion, outside of this thread. im not here to attack anyone in here, but rather develop a discussion that could become insightful.

so yes, words. i continue to read things like 'words have no power unless you give them power..' and also things like 'just dont let them effect you, ignore it.. my great grandma was called nigger 50 million times growing up, and she beat it, blah, blah...'
listen, words are very powerful. they become powerful when they are put in places where they do not disappear, and power is activated by giving them a voice.. audible vibrations.. u know, like language and communication, singing.. this is what separates humans from the beasts. so power is provided when they are manifested when in visual form and audible sound, not from rejecting the word. that is silly.. if this was true, then we wouldnt even be having this discussion and all ppls would have laughed at Bill's joke.
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:23 pm

NaranjaRa wrote:
ink wrote:
NaranjaRa wrote:so are you taking the stance that any time that someone white uses this word, it is hateful and hurtful no matter the circumstance, context, or intention surrounding it?

//sigh


so hours of organizing my words so that some may gain understanding into the nuance within this subject, and all you got from that was an absolute..!? :-|
idk what else to tell you..

not necessarily, no. but i did feel like i needed to know if You held that absolute or not, as so many are and do. as eloquent as you described your take on the situation, i think i still needed to hear that direct question answered.

...actually....kind of how you took away the opposite conclusion of what i was attempting to say from my initial long, thought-out post at first...

and thus we have a perfect example of why we all need to keep talking & hashing this mess out with one another. /nod

word. exactly why i am here in this moment
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:32 pm

Feydakin wrote:Image

there is so much truth to this..

*slightly off topic... but this was literally the scene surrounding my seat at my nieces graduation, and i mean from old ppl all the way to little kids. its a shame.


personally, i believe that love is the highest form of intelligence and communication. it does not fail. i cannot even fully grasp why, its just way beyond my own understanding... that said, until society can start operating within this form with regularity, the above image will hold. its wack, but its true.
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
ghostdogg
Rewind. Spit. Scratch. See Heaven.
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:41 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ghostdogg » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:52 pm

So, I thought I'd chime in here - you know, just so it isn't only the two of you! =P

I've personally seen Bill Maher defend the perspective of black people in America... can't really remember when or what was said but I remember that I've seen it before. In my eyes, I don't think Bill is a racist; I didn't even get that impression when I first saw the video.

That being said, the joke was completely inappropriate and unprofessional. And I know that Bill has a history of saying whatever he wants - kind of how he got his show to begin with - but that shit just doesn't fly when you're on TV. You have a responsibility to watch what the fuck you say and how you're saying it.

I also didn't appreciate how he responded to Ice Cube... from what I saw, it looked as if Bill's position was "I already said I was sorry!" but Cube's position was "well, you never said sorry to me and I came on your show, so ofc I'm gonna say something." The reason why I don't appreciate Bill's response to Cube is because you would think he would've learned his lesson... watch what the fuck you say when you're being broadcasted on television. Nope... he decides to try and defend himself and what he said by reiterating "I'm sorry!" - as if that just completely nullifies the fact that a privileged white man went on TV and so casually (and carelessly) used the n-bomb as if he had a right to say it because he's dating a black chick. Nah buddy... you just played yourself - twice.
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Feydakin wrote: Before Obama, I feel like racism was fading deeper and deeper into the background. Then for whatever reason (I firmly blame Postmodernism and their PC culture war for it) racism, sexism, and bigotry started coming back... sort of.

truth is, it never left those that it effected/effects. it wasnt until Obama, that many oppressed wouldnt use their voice to speak out about it. and rightfully so, so having a president who has the largest of platforms, that can empathize and relate to, helps to uncover and expose it in society, institutions and the like...

now put all those voices that cry out for justice and slap a victim label on them and that right there is another example of how, once again, racist ideologies corrupt and contaminate the scales of justice in a deceptive fashion. if you are oppressed and complain about it, you will be labeled a victim, demonized and disregarded. your voice will not be heard. sounds like a catch-22, becuz it becomes that.. when we dont see this on the surface, only means that it has taken root. it has not gone away, and the fading has been pushed further into the fabric of this nation. enter politics, religion, education, housing, the economy, i can go on.. it is everywhere, you just dont hear about it for the above ^^ reasoning.
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:39 pm

ghostdogg wrote:So, I thought I'd chime in here - you know, just so it isn't only the two of you! =P

I've personally seen Bill Maher defend the perspective of black people in America... can't really remember when or what was said but I remember that I've seen it before. In my eyes, I don't think Bill is a racist; I didn't even get that impression when I first saw the video.

That being said, the joke was completely inappropriate and unprofessional. And I know that Bill has a history of saying whatever he wants - kind of how he got his show to begin with - but that shit just doesn't fly when you're on TV. You have a responsibility to watch what the fuck you say and how you're saying it.

I also didn't appreciate how he responded to Ice Cube... from what I saw, it looked as if Bill's position was "I already said I was sorry!" but Cube's position was "well, you never said sorry to me and I came on your show, so ofc I'm gonna say something." The reason why I don't appreciate Bill's response to Cube is because you would think he would've learned his lesson... watch what the fuck you say when you're being broadcasted on television. Nope... he decides to try and defend himself and what he said by reiterating "I'm sorry!" - as if that just completely nullifies the fact that a privileged white man went on TV and so casually (and carelessly) used the n-bomb as if he had a right to say it because he's dating a black chick. Nah buddy... you just played yourself - twice.

yea i noticed that..

i immediately related to cube. he was emotional. dude was angry, and in those moments, your mind is trying to articulate your frustrations and you have to process large amounts of adrenaline.. its difficult. he made his point, but ice cube is not stupid, only human. meanwhile, im watching bill eat slice after slice of humble pie, and i jsut got the sense that he was growing tired of the redundant proverbial beatings.. its like reprimanding your kid in the heat of the moment and losing sight of the education part because of anger and frustration.


which leads me to my next theory...

Spoiler: show
the timing of this incident seemed a bit off.. in view of everything that has been happening in the US as of late. what if.. (and i use that lightly), he interjected the remark on purpose. like given his history as a champion as a voice of the oppressed, his relationships with the black community and his line up of the following week (-/+ the last minute addition of the sociologist interview), it was executed in a masterful way... i mean i know this will be a ratings jump and he owned the mistake, which would inevitably align his position with the black folks that forgive, thus creating a pass... :hmm: he also, eluded to sacrificing political capital, yet the way it played out, it could potentially increase his political capital exponentially....
curious, right!??
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
ghostdogg
Rewind. Spit. Scratch. See Heaven.
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:41 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ghostdogg » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 am

I admit I did have the same theory:
Spoiler: show
my thoughts about him playing himself on TV could easily be trumped (lol) by the fact that his ratings and overall popularity most-probably increased as a result of this. But in my eyes, his whole show is now ruined to me. I think Cube was right that he is a comedian with a show but it spins off Politics. I can never take his political view(s) seriously now. That's just my two cents..
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:57 am

ink wrote:*once again, for the record, i am only gathering a general consensus of public opinion, outside of this thread. im not here to attack anyone in here, but rather develop a discussion that could become insightful.

so yes, words. i continue to read things like 'words have no power unless you give them power..' and also things like 'just dont let them effect you, ignore it.. my great grandma was called nigger 50 million times growing up, and she beat it, blah, blah...'
listen, words are very powerful. they become powerful when they are put in places where they do not disappear, and power is activated by giving them a voice.. audible vibrations.. u know, like language and communication, singing.. this is what separates humans from the beasts. so power is provided when they are manifested when in visual form and audible sound, not from rejecting the word. that is silly.. if this was true, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion and all ppls would have laughed at Bill's joke.

i completely agree that words can hold a power to them. i believe in the idea of manifestation, so i am no stranger to this idea at all. there are some things i just never say because i don't want to even put the thought out into the universe, if you know what i'm saying. i don't want to inadvertently make those things *real*.

but the concept Lenny Bruce introduced in regards to words having even more power when they become taboo is not at all silly. it's challenging; try to not just dismiss it.

have you ever said a word over and over and over again, out-loud, to the point where it starts to change as you said it? to the point where the sound of the word coming from the lips starts to sound muddy...nonsensical...even, foreign? i used to do this as a kid, without realizing what i was doing or why it was happening.

i'm sure you've heard the idea that holding something back from a child in turn usually makes them even more interested in whatever is being forbidden. it can be seen in practice in especially rigid, religious families, where their kid ends up becoming a bit of a "wild child" as they grow up, sneak out, and rush to experience all the things the parents were attempting to hide from them.

i'm not saying as adults we still act as children, but i think in a sense, it's all about desensitization. taking a word's power away and stripping it down so that its meaning is almost all but lost entirely. without getting too deeply into linguistic relativity, we have the ability to change our language and in turn, the influence it holds in our minds and hearts. that's why i wish there was a way to perform the experiment i mentioned, where the "n-bomb" was thrown out by everyone, all the time, for say, several generations. i wish i could peek at that future result and see if it indeed did still hold the power it holds today as a word seen as taboo.

because as it stands, it might be one of the most powerful words in the english language.
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:05 pm

ghostdogg wrote:So, I thought I'd chime in here - you know, just so it isn't only the two of you! =P

I've personally seen Bill Maher defend the perspective of black people in America... can't really remember when or what was said but I remember that I've seen it before. In my eyes, I don't think Bill is a racist; I didn't even get that impression when I first saw the video.

That being said, the joke was completely inappropriate and unprofessional. And I know that Bill has a history of saying whatever he wants - kind of how he got his show to begin with - but that shit just doesn't fly when you're on TV. You have a responsibility to watch what the fuck you say and how you're saying it.

I also didn't appreciate how he responded to Ice Cube... from what I saw, it looked as if Bill's position was "I already said I was sorry!" but Cube's position was "well, you never said sorry to me and I came on your show, so ofc I'm gonna say something." The reason why I don't appreciate Bill's response to Cube is because you would think he would've learned his lesson... watch what the fuck you say when you're being broadcasted on television. Nope... he decides to try and defend himself and what he said by reiterating "I'm sorry!" - as if that just completely nullifies the fact that a privileged white man went on TV and so casually (and carelessly) used the n-bomb as if he had a right to say it because he's dating a black chick. Nah buddy... you just played yourself - twice.

^ 100% all of this ^

Bill became way too defensive when Cube was speaking his mind. i also noticed his reactions, and even his facial expressions during that moment were offensive to me.


ink wrote:
Feydakin wrote: Before Obama, I feel like racism was fading deeper and deeper into the background. Then for whatever reason (I firmly blame Postmodernism and their PC culture war for it) racism, sexism, and bigotry started coming back... sort of.

truth is, it never left those that it effected/effects. it wasnt until Obama, that many oppressed wouldnt use their voice to speak out about it. and rightfully so, so having a president who has the largest of platforms, that can empathize and relate to, helps to uncover and expose it in society, institutions and the like...

now put all those voices that cry out for justice and slap a victim label on them and that right there is another example of how, once again, racist ideologies corrupt and contaminate the scales of justice in a deceptive fashion. if you are oppressed and complain about it, you will be labeled a victim, demonized and disregarded. your voice will not be heard. sounds like a catch-22, becuz it becomes that.. when we dont see this on the surface, only means that it has taken root. it has not gone away, and the fading has been pushed further into the fabric of this nation. enter politics, religion, education, housing, the economy, i can go on.. it is everywhere, you just dont hear about it for the above ^^ reasoning.

i personally never thought that racism was fading at all. it only changed and became more subversive, as mentioned, in ways like code-words and dog-whistle politics.

and that catch-22 situation is EXACTLY why political correctness is so dangerous! in its efforts to create awareness to injustice and inequality, it has in turn gone so far overboard policing every word that people speak, that folks now tend to reject ANYTHING that remotely sounds like the cry of someone being oppressed. it has now become merely a political game, those voices now become a pure joke, and the denial of the problem is allowed to flourish to an even greater degree.
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:15 pm



2:06 - 3:06 ..speaks volumes!
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image

Return to “In The News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest