Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Stay informed with these less controversial but just as important news articles. If topics prove contentious they will be moved the debate area.

should it be ok in this day and age... what do you think?

You may select up to 3 options

 
 
View results
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:51 pm

here is a small bit of context..



share your thoughts..

i will share mine if this develops into a real conversation. :hmm:
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:52 am

actually, i don't think he should be fired, but that doesn't mean he should not face some kind of consequences. Maher honestly disgusts me quite often. he's demonstrated at times that he is *and/or* has said things that are xenophobic, sexist, and racist. he's not the most intelligent person, nor is he very well read on the topics he tends to like to discuss on his show. at the same time, i often find myself cheering some of his points - or at least, anything that rails against the ultra-PC over-sensitive over-reactive left-wing extremism that you rarely hear anyone else within the liberal domain itself condemn.

let me check out tonight's episode to see what transpires and i will return with my thoughts about this specific issue and why i'm voting the way i am. /nod
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:14 pm

edit:


ok my apologies.. i switched the wording around for a more open-ended discussion, regarding the poll.

*update, watched last nights episode...
Spoiler: show
Bill is a dick.. and he owned it. so respect for that.



^^ probably the most intelligent discussion of last night, imo


here is a chance to join an adult conversation on such a hot topic... /flame get up off your hands!
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:12 pm

ok, so here's my take, for what it's worth:

i 100% understand the load that word carries with it. deep & heavy...many many layers that speak to an ugly, uncomfortable history that is still riding only slightly beneath the surface on a systematic level in this nation today. and this is especially important to consider with the current POTUS and the resurgence of the downright openly-expressed racism we've been seeing since the early stages of the last campaign.

i also 100% understand that black America has needed to take this word back. from the constant use by the hip-hop world, to everyday conversations i constantly hear, it is the method of gaining ownership of the word and taking away its power, in the same way that gay people reclaimed the word "fag".

what i can never understand is how deeply it can affect a PoC, because i have not had that experience. i realize that i have had certain opportunities in life, because someone else was prevented from having the same opportunity. white people in general do not tend to realize this aspect, no matter how non-racist they claim themselves to be.

but i do not believe that Maher needs to completely be fired for what was intended as a joke (even if many people did not take it as a joke) after a very long track record of usually being a voice that stands up against racism.

for one thing, we all hear this word so SO very much in our culture that i comprehend how at times it could just unconsciously fly out of someone's mouth. it's how our brains unfortunately work and tends to happen any time we hear something over and over and over again. the same idea applies when someone starts to speak in an accent without realizing if they're exposed to and surrounded by that accent long enough.

this is not an excuse, because we all should be mindful of what we say. but are we always able to be 100% of the time? of course not. we all make mistakes and say stupid shit. and sometimes it's stupid, hurtful shit. but haven't we all said something hurtful that we also did not really mean in the way someone else might have taken it?

i like to believe that most intelligent people also tend to understand the context it was uttered within. it was not directly "hate speech", it was not directed at anyone, and i might get shit for saying this, but i don't buy the idea some people out there are pushing that it was.

and that is the other side to this i am struggling with, because all of the hysteria plays into the over-sensitivity issue i have with our culture at this time as a whole.

because i absolutely abhor the word "triggered" and things such as the concept of "safe spaces". there are elements of our society right now that are literally telling people that they need to be upset about this or that. people who have such an enormous reaction to things they end up creating and/or fueling outrage that would most likely not be there to such a degree. and i believe social media is one enormous reason why this over-sensitivity has flourished. it's just the newest form of crowd-think, where every - single - thing - anyone says anymore is not only on the world-stage, but it's there for each and every person to then comment on, and be offended by. this ridiculous level of scrutiny over the minutiae of each and every moment in turn elevates somewhat questionable, minor events and people to a level of hysteria that otherwise would have perhaps just raised some eyebrows and then quickly passed over.

i'm not saying this particular instance did not warrant a reaction...in NO way is that what i'm saying. i am simply offering food for thought in the arena that has so many calling for him to actually lose his job over it.

Lenny Bruce, one of the greatest, most controversial comedians of all time used to stand on stage and point into the audience while calling out every horribly racist name in the book, over and over again. sure it was shocking. but his entire point was to say these words until they entirely lose their meaning. and i sort of agree with that sentiment. the more we hold a certain word back, the more we keep it mystified, held in contempt, keep it loaded with so much meaning and emotion, the longer road we're going to have to take to get over it altogether, and the longer it will continue to be hurtful. and this is what great comedy does. it takes something terribly serious, flips it on it's head, forces us to confront the uncomfortable...just like all great art.

seriously, think about it. a comedian like Bruce, or even Richard Pryor probably wouldn't be able to exist in this environment today.

i had an amazing African-American History professor who once said, racism will exist as long as the word continues to be a part of our language. so i truly hope one day THAT word also loses all meaning and ceases to even be a part of dictionaries of the future.

Maher was not in any way being hateful or racist in his intentions. he was showing his privilege, yes. it was stupid as hell, yes. as a joke it wasn't even funny; it was pretty damn horrible. i even groaned outloud when i was watching it. it made my stomach churn to be honest.

BUT, what it has led to is some new and challenging discussions. it has most likely opened up some eyes to see the situation in a new way. as we, white & black & all people of color do not tend to talk about this in such an open way very often. no doubt it has provided some people, not just Bill Maher, with a learning experience...and has forced them to check themselves in a different light.

and Maher should be indeed allowed to stay on the air to continue to foster such discussions.

because, as author Jodi Picoult says, "ignorance is a privilege too." and i think that is the most important point that i want to make here.




as an aside, two articles i read last night (as i was already studying this issue a bit before the show) really made me think. one is written by a black person, one by a white:

The New Racism: https://www.truthbtold.net/blog/blog/the-new-racism

Are You Sure You're Not Racist?: http://time.com/4544356/jodi-picoult-confronts-racism/
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:52 pm

yes, tbh.. i despise the word "triggered" aswell


//fixed
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:57 pm



excellent read! /nod

NaranjaRa wrote:Are You Sure You're Not Racist?: http://time.com/4544356/jodi-picoult-confronts-racism/


as a journalist/writer/storyteller she went deep into the looking glass. her experience has depth, substance.. ideas that take a while to digest. another great read. /nod /reading
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:53 pm

aaah right, so i see a lot of random outside comments with the overall theme of the 'hypocrisy' of it all, and in the 'interest of equity...' it should be fair for everyone to use, because of movies, tv, music...

anyone else share this sentiment?
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:17 pm

ink wrote:aaah right, so i see a lot of random outside comments with the overall theme of the 'hypocrisy' of it all, and in the 'interest of equity...' it should be fair for everyone to use, because of movies, tv, music...

anyone else share this sentiment?

no not at all hun...i guess i definitely did not make myself clear!
let me retry...
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:42 pm

it truly is a fine line i'm attempting to walk, here, so i apologize if my original answer was meandering and unclear. since the original question was whether or not Bill Maher should be fired for saying what he did, that was the main crux of my post - explaining why i thought he should not lose his job over it.

i do NOT believe it is a word that at this time needs to be used by anyone other than the black community. as mentioned, and as Ice Cube said, that word has been reclaimed. however, my gripe is with people that take the stance that *any time* the word is used by a white person, it is basically the equivalent of a hate crime. i take issue with those who use any opportunity they can to make a gigantic fuss when they are "triggered", and i have a huge problem with this out-of-control over-sensitivity, because i believe that in reality not everything is so clear-cut.

i'm not at all excusing what he did, while at the same time i am understanding how it might have happened & why it might tend to fly out of the wrong people's (i.e. anyone who is NOT a PoC) mouths. i believe this is due to the fact that it IS used so liberally in the culture and am trying to demonstrate how this not only could happen unconsciously without any kind of malice, but also how white people can often incorrectly assume the use is acceptable.

at the same time, i was trying to introduce the concept that Lenny Bruce had played with in his work; that words perhaps should not be held back because that is what in turn continues to Give Them Their Power. that was meant as food for thought. i wonder what would happen if for the next several decades every offensive, horrible, forbidden word was thrown out by everyone, all the time, and if in fact these words would not indeed eventually lose their meaning and effect. this idea is extremely intriguing to me, personally.

does this make more sense?

i admit it was late when i composed my original post, and i am very sick with flu, so i guess i did meander to such a degree that i did not truly communicate the way that i had wished for things to be understood. it is such a difficult topic, and i obviously had a lot to say about it in regards to this specific event that seems to conflict with itself. but that is how i feel, i suppose. i can see more than one angle here...and trying to explain that alone can be confusing!
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:13 pm

ink wrote:


excellent read! /nod

NaranjaRa wrote:Are You Sure You're Not Racist?: http://time.com/4544356/jodi-picoult-confronts-racism/


as a journalist/writer/storyteller she went deep into the looking glass. her experience has depth, substance.. ideas that take a while to digest. another great read. /nod /reading

glad you enjoyed those two pieces. out of about 20 or so articles i perused last night, those two perspectives really hit me the most.

especially the first one, where the author discusses white folks needing to stand up to loved ones who might be racist or say racist things. it resonated with me deeply, because just in the past few months i did just that. a good chunk of my family is very, um...rural, so to say...with some truly unenlightened views on the world. since i was little i have endured hearing the hurtful things they have said about those who are "different", especially anyone who is not, well, white. i grew up around their racist jokes and comments, and have left the room in tears at times. but i was young, and did not know how to confront them, so i never did.

as the years passed i found myself associating with this part of my family less and less because i feel so very little in common with them, and because of how hurtful and offensive their views can be. in turn, i have also missed the opportunity to do anything about it. until just recently.

one day my uncle made a racist joke on a facebook post, and even though he is basically known as the family clown, it was right in line with the crap i experienced from my family all my life. it was unacceptable, but in the process of asking other friends how i should confront this person, he found out about how i felt and i was forced to deal with him before i was truly clear on exactly what i should do. it was terribly uncomfortable, but necessary. and i left the conversation still uder the impression that i had not really at all been able to get through to him.

a month later in a car ride with my mom, his sister, she then confronted ME. apparently he called her all upset that i had thought such a horrible thing about him...that he was just "making a joke" and "didn't mean anything by it"....and how "i should know him and with all the people he knows and friends he has" that he couldn't possibly be a racist. you know, the ol' "but i have black friends" defense!!

things got pretty heated. like my uncle, my mother is basically in denial. THIS is indeed the "new racism". ignorance of one's own deeply-ingrained, even unconscious views that make it acceptable to make these type of jokes and remarks, while continuing to try to convince oneself they are not a bad person and cannot possibly be racist. because that would be the equivalent of being in the KKK. they do not grasp the nuance, how it has crept into all of these small spaces, like a virus that one can only truly see by using a microscope. and they refuse to even try to look. /62
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:07 pm

/bigsmile

anna! <3

just up in here unloading.. heh.
guess its just me n you babes.. but idc, we can just kick it, us 2 then.. maybe we might even provide a new filter/perspective to someone out there just watching from afar..
*i have to get home, cuz i got some curious random inter-web posts i kinda want to explore a bit deeper...

**OH! also, i have a theory on the 'why' and i think you might dig this.. /nod

look for me later... /ninjablack
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:24 pm

ink wrote:/bigsmile

anna! <3

just up in here unloading.. heh.
guess its just me n you babes.. but idc, we can just kick it, us 2 then.. maybe we might even provide a new filter/perspective to someone out there just watching from afar..
*i have to get home, cuz i got some curious random inter-web posts i kinda want to explore a bit deeper...

**OH! also, i have a theory on the 'why' and i think you might dig this.. /nod

look for me later... /ninjablack

(sun) i'm cool with just us hashing it out, no doubt! (sun)

so, i found an example of the sort of opinion that i'm not really agreeing with:
Bill Maher Is A Dangerous White Man: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bil ... 026879abe2

the author makes some great points. but to go so far as to refer to him as a "dangerous white man" is what i think takes it a bit too far.

at the same time, LITERAL "hate marches" went on around the country yesterday: http://www.thedailybeast.com/anti-musli ... is-weekend.

Bill Maher can be a complete asshole. he has strong opinions that i often do NOT agree with, and as mentioned, he often outright disgusts me with some of the things he says. but in my personal opinion, an ignorant white comedian's dickish slip-up is not as deserving of the type of absolute the frenzy surrounding it as is the clear and direct, outspoken voices of racism out there in the streets right now.

it's not being dismissive. all forms of racism need to be recognized and combated. but i also think it's about investing your energy and voice where it is most needed at the moment.

but perhaps this is *my* privilege showing, so i welcome opposing views on this...
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:56 am

wow yo, i cannot believe how fast this is turning into a sh!t sammich. there is so much to filter through now... :lawl:
so i will return to a few things later.

but i do want to elaborate a bit on what ice cube was saying;

picture this..

a system is created. tools are designed for the continuity of that system. the system evolves, and as the framework of the system becomes more advanced, older tools become obsolete. discarded, relegated to those left in the wake of its inherent intent. plainly, the use of the word "nigga" is a bond between two particular people, under a shared, common struggle.. which is this system, created by design.

its a yoke. like a yoke on a donkey or an ox. metaphorically speaking, u see...

it has a lateral movement within this experience. if one benefits from this system, even by default, they are foreign to this experience, by a position elevated up, outside of its effects. now the movement changes vertically and becomes hostile. in this way, it cannot be received. it is impossible. call it momentum or physics or whatever, but there is just too much weight attached to this. and in knowing that, remember within each individual that falls under that yoke, they have different levels of pain, anger and shame anchored to that word. its levels to this.

..and those that might get too familiar. this is an issue unto itself, but for clarity, i'd like to throw in my perspective as well. look, we all know poverty does not discriminate. picture a very diverse impoverished community, the bubbles surrounding two different cultures are bound to overlap, thus creating a shared experience. now strap this system over everything and now the experience begins to change, as the yoke only effects particular groups and cultures. so again, in the silence is the suffering, and that is the disconnect. its when people get complacent and lethargic in regard for one another that creates problems. so even though, many share the same income and even space, not everyone bears that yoke. so please dont look to adopt or appropriate such a thing as this word.. for real.. the idea is so silly. why put on what so many are trying to take off?? unless ofc, your ben-hur or something and going to singlehandedly takedown the system. /:



1st amendment version:
kick around the word nigga all you want.. just understand that you are doing so at your own risk.
the consequences might not pan out like you think
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:10 am

NaranjaRa wrote:
ink wrote:


excellent read! /nod

NaranjaRa wrote:Are You Sure You're Not Racist?: http://time.com/4544356/jodi-picoult-confronts-racism/


as a journalist/writer/storyteller she went deep into the looking glass. her experience has depth, substance.. ideas that take a while to digest. another great read. /nod /reading

glad you enjoyed those two pieces. out of about 20 or so articles i perused last night, those two perspectives really hit me the most.

especially the first one, where the author discusses white folks needing to stand up to loved ones who might be racist or say racist things. it resonated with me deeply, because just in the past few months i did just that. a good chunk of my family is very, um...rural, so to say...with some truly unenlightened views on the world. since i was little i have endured hearing the hurtful things they have said about those who are "different", especially anyone who is not, well, white. i grew up around their racist jokes and comments, and have left the room in tears at times. but i was young, and did not know how to confront them, so i never did.

as the years passed i found myself associating with this part of my family less and less because i feel so very little in common with them, and because of how hurtful and offensive their views can be. in turn, i have also missed the opportunity to do anything about it. until just recently.

one day my uncle made a racist joke on a facebook post, and even though he is basically known as the family clown, it was right in line with the crap i experienced from my family all my life. it was unacceptable, but in the process of asking other friends how i should confront this person, he found out about how i felt and i was forced to deal with him before i was truly clear on exactly what i should do. it was terribly uncomfortable, but necessary. and i left the conversation still uder the impression that i had not really at all been able to get through to him.

a month later in a car ride with my mom, his sister, she then confronted ME. apparently he called her all upset that i had thought such a horrible thing about him...that he was just "making a joke" and "didn't mean anything by it"....and how "i should know him and with all the people he knows and friends he has" that he couldn't possibly be a racist. you know, the ol' "but i have black friends" defense!!

things got pretty heated. like my uncle, my mother is basically in denial. THIS is indeed the "new racism". ignorance of one's own deeply-ingrained, even unconscious views that make it acceptable to make these type of jokes and remarks, while continuing to try to convince oneself they are not a bad person and cannot possibly be racist. because that would be the equivalent of being in the KKK. they do not grasp the nuance, how it has crept into all of these small spaces, like a virus that one can only truly see by using a microscope. and they refuse to even try to look. /62


tough situation, especially with family.
racism is evolving, its why it is difficult to see from the outside.
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:47 am

ink wrote:wow yo, i cannot believe how fast this is turning into a sh!t sammich.

what do you mean? i'm the only one speaking here so far. are you still under the impression i believe it is OK to throw this word around?!?
/62
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:00 am

ink wrote:picture this..

a system is created. tools are designed for the continuity of that system. the system evolves, and as the framework of the system becomes more advanced, older tools become obsolete. discarded, relegated to those left in the wake of its inherent intent. plainly, the use of the word "nigga" is a bond between two particular people, under a shared, common struggle.. which is this system, created by design.

its a yoke. like a yoke on a donkey or an ox. metaphorically speaking, u see...

it has a lateral movement within this experience. if one benefits from this system, even by default, they are foreign to this experience, by a position elevated up, outside of its effects. now the movement changes vertically and becomes hostile. in this way, it cannot be received. it is impossible. call it momentum or physics or whatever, but there is just too much weight attached to this. and in knowing that, remember within each individual that falls under that yoke, they have different levels of pain, anger and shame anchored to that word. its levels to this.

..and those that might get too familiar. this is an issue unto itself, but for clarity, i'd like to throw in my perspective as well. look, we all know poverty does not discriminate. picture a very diverse impoverished community, the bubbles surrounding two different cultures are bound to overlap, thus creating a shared experience. now strap this system over everything and now the experience begins to change, as the yoke only effects particular groups and cultures. so again, in the silence is the suffering, and that is the disconnect. its when people get complacent and lethargic in regard for one another that creates problems. so even though, many share the same income and even space, not everyone bears that yoke. so please dont look to adopt or appropriate such a thing as this word.. for real.. the idea is so silly. why put on what so many are trying to take off?? unless ofc, your ben-hur or something and going to singlehandedly takedown the system. /:



1st amendment version:
kick around the word nigga all you want.. just understand that you are doing so at your own risk.
the consequences might not pan out like you think

so are you taking the stance that any time that someone white uses this word, it is hateful and hurtful no matter the circumstance, context, or intention surrounding it?
User avatar
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Right Here
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby Feydakin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:17 am

No, I don't really think it's OK for anyone to use, but at the end of the day I support everyone's First Amendment right to use it. I wouldn't call for anyone being fired over shit like that, including what Kathy Griffin did. I think Ink pretty much nailed it with his summary of say what you want, but be prepared to face the consequences... Personal accountability.

Hate Speech and all the jive has lost all meaning in today's ultra-PC SJW culture of the regressive Left. So it's really hard to even use those terms anymore. I also kind of feel the same way about the "N" word as I do about racism or race in general. Before Obama, I feel like racism was fading deeper and deeper into the background. Then for whatever reason (I firmly blame Postmodernism and their PC culture war for it) racism, sexism, and bigotry started coming back... sort of. It is all a construct of the "Progressives" and their aggressive PC culture that labeled everything as oppressive. Finally people are starting to wake up to it, but it was insidiously injected into our society for a couple of decades at least before people really started to take notice and push back. It's really set back race relations in particular in the US decades in some cases... and it was all just smoke and mirrors. Divide us and conquer us. Now it's like the oppression olympics. It's all about how many oppression points you can score, and non-stop virtue signalling. Guh it's so obvious and idiotic I can't stand that people actually fall for it. I could not give less of a shit who you are, live and let live... that was how most people lived back 10-15 years ago, now everyone wants big government and to be all up in each others business? Fuck that... Fuck Marxism, Fuck Postmodernism, Fuck Socialism (Venezuela, there you go). anyways. Fuck it all. :roll:
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:28 am

ink wrote:racism is evolving, its why it is difficult to see from the outside.

^ THIS ^

it evolves and gets trickier. instead of being "in your face" it's more elusive and deceptive now. it gets hidden deeper into the system itself, through the slippery use of language. in codes..."dog whistle politics", to be exact.

You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968, you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."
— Lee Atwater, Republican Party strategist in an anonymous interview in 1981


since i'm not anyone of color, the best way i can relate is just through the lens of my experience as a woman. we go through stuff that men never do or will, and it is nearly impossible to get fellas to not only understand and/or believe this fact, but to just recognize those subtle little ways in which it creeps in to situations...into our language itself.
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:53 am

Feydakin wrote:No, I don't really think it's OK for anyone to use, but at the end of the day I support everyone's First Amendment right to use it. I wouldn't call for anyone being fired over shit like that, including what Kathy Griffin did. I think Ink pretty much nailed it with his summary of say what you want, but be prepared to face the consequences... Personal accountability.

Hate Speech and all the jive has lost all meaning in today's ultra-PC SJW culture of the regressive Left. So it's really hard to even use those terms anymore. I also kind of feel the same way about the "N" word as I do about racism or race in general. Before Obama, I feel like racism was fading deeper and deeper into the background. Then for whatever reason (I firmly blame Postmodernism and their PC culture war for it) racism, sexism, and bigotry started coming back... sort of. It is all a construct of the "Progressives" and their aggressive PC culture that labeled everything as oppressive. Finally people are starting to wake up to it, but it was insidiously injected into our society for a couple of decades at least before people really started to take notice and push back. It's really set back race relations in particular in the US decades in some cases... and it was all just smoke and mirrors. Divide us and conquer us. Now it's like the oppression olympics. It's all about how many oppression points you can score, and non-stop virtue signalling. Guh it's so obvious and idiotic I can't stand that people actually fall for it. I could not give less of a shit who you are, live and let live... that was how most people lived back 10-15 years ago, now everyone wants big government and to be all up in each others business? Fuck that... Fuck Marxism, Fuck Postmodernism, Fuck Socialism (Venezuela, there you go). anyways. Fuck it all. :roll:

ugh. "left" this. "progressive" that. it's NOT just a one-sided issue you can stare at from behind partisan blinders, Feyd. conservatives have their own form of "political correctness" as well.

the issue that i see us essentially agreeing on here is the overall promotion of excessive self-victimization.
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:50 am

Image
User avatar
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Right Here
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby Feydakin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Words are important, words have meaning. Using the proper words to describe what you're talking about is crucial. Comparing the insanity that the Postmodern Left is demonstrating right now with ANYTHING negative the Right is doing is not even a comparison that can be made... I'm not talking about confused, mostly classic Liberals that just aren't aware of what's really going on with their party right now, I'm talking about the radicals that are leading their party into oblivion and this country into civil war.

"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened."

Postmodernists (Social Marxists) have co-opted Liberalism to insinuate their way of life into America. They basically just replaced the wealth classes with minority oppression classes (hence the "oppression olympics"). People are waking up to that and are ready to stop it. All it's going to take is the wrong person being seriously hurt or killed in one of these rallies or riots and that spark will light the powderkeg, and we're off to the races. I don't know if anyone's been watching what's going on out there on the ground, but tensions are running very high, and it keeps escalating. It's a lot more serious than just playing politics, and it's going to get much worse than the civil rights movement.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
User avatar
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Right Here
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby Feydakin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Image
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
User avatar
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am
Location: in the grove
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:41 pm

perhaps 'political correctness' needs to be it's own topic at this point, so we don't go any more off the rails in this one...

EDIT: new thread - Political Correctness
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:45 pm

NaranjaRa wrote:
ink wrote:wow yo, i cannot believe how fast this is turning into a sh!t sammich.

what do you mean? i'm the only one speaking here so far. are you still under the impression i believe it is OK to throw this word around?!?
/62

/rotfl

something told me i shouldve clarified that more.. what i meant, was taking into account of various reactions around the web on this topic.. like a general consensus. not the thread silly.. :lawl:

love ya anna!!! <3
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Bill Maher referenced himself as a "house nigga" on his show

Postby ink » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:07 pm

NaranjaRa wrote:
ink wrote:picture this..

a system is created. tools are designed for the continuity of that system. the system evolves, and as the framework of the system becomes more advanced, older tools become obsolete. discarded, relegated to those left in the wake of its inherent intent. plainly, the use of the word "nigga" is a bond between two particular people, under a shared, common struggle.. which is this system, created by design.

its a yoke. like a yoke on a donkey or an ox. metaphorically speaking, u see...

it has a lateral movement within this experience. if one benefits from this system, even by default, they are foreign to this experience, by a position elevated up, outside of its effects. now the movement changes vertically and becomes hostile. in this way, it cannot be received. it is impossible. call it momentum or physics or whatever, but there is just too much weight attached to this. and in knowing that, remember within each individual that falls under that yoke, they have different levels of pain, anger and shame anchored to that word. its levels to this.

..and those that might get too familiar. this is an issue unto itself, but for clarity, i'd like to throw in my perspective as well. look, we all know poverty does not discriminate. picture a very diverse impoverished community, the bubbles surrounding two different cultures are bound to overlap, thus creating a shared experience. now strap this system over everything and now the experience begins to change, as the yoke only effects particular groups and cultures. so again, in the silence is the suffering, and that is the disconnect. its when people get complacent and lethargic in regard for one another that creates problems. so even though, many share the same income and even space, not everyone bears that yoke. so please dont look to adopt or appropriate such a thing as this word.. for real.. the idea is so silly. why put on what so many are trying to take off?? unless ofc, your ben-hur or something and going to singlehandedly takedown the system. /:



1st amendment version:
kick around the word nigga all you want.. just understand that you are doing so at your own risk.
the consequences might not pan out like you think

so are you taking the stance that any time that someone white uses this word, it is hateful and hurtful no matter the circumstance, context, or intention surrounding it?

//sigh


so hours of organizing my words so that some may gain understanding into the nuance within this subject, and all you got from that was an absolute..!? :-|
idk what else to tell you..
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image

Return to “In The News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests