Poverty isn't a lack of character; it's a lack of cash | Rutger Bregman

Comment on our favorite Ted Talk Videos or share your own.
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Poverty isn't a lack of character; it's a lack of cash | Rutger Bregman

Postby ink » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:24 pm

we are, what we allow to occupy us..

NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Re: Poverty isn't a lack of character; it's a lack of cash | Rutger Bregman

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:48 am

brilliant. powerful.

America needs to listen up...
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Re: Poverty isn't a lack of character; it's a lack of cash | Rutger Bregman

Postby Skywalker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:14 pm

I watched this and he is right.

I say this as someone who grew up in poverty and still in poverty. My dad was a very smart guy and so is my mom. Yet, because of poverty neither one could attend school or reach their full potential. Instead, I watched as my parents worked, but also lowered themselves and their self-worth to get things like Food Stamps. I have lived in homeless shelters, went "camping", and spent many a night in our car. All because my parents did not have the money to rent some place out. They moved around to try and provide a better existence for me and my siblings. Sure it was hard a lot of the time.

I wonder what my parent's life would have been like if they had a basic income? Would my dad still be alive and his painting business thriving? Would my mom be as sick as she currently is or would she had the money that she needed for treatment? Hell, what would my own life be like? Would I be struggling or would I have my dream job of helping people? All I have ever wanted to do was help people, yet I think that may not be the case. I have written papers and given presentations on how to make sure that students understand Federal Aid and the best practices for first-year students who live in poverty, but any more work on this topic is a dream. I am not sure what I'll do with my MS in Higher Education just because the states are not funding community colleges at the same level they once did. While my dream is to help others, without the capital to do so, I will not be able to.

I need a paycheck and Walmart is always hiring. The largest employer in the county.

Return to “Ted Talks- be inspired!”