Christopher Emdin - Teach teachers how to create magic (2013)

Comment on our favorite Ted Talk Videos or share your own.
Manhal
ninja with training wheels

Christopher Emdin - Teach teachers how to create magic (2013)

Postby Manhal » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:33 am

Here is the link:
https://www.ted.com/talks/christopher_e ... anguage=en

And the quote about it:

"What do rap shows, barbershop banter and Sunday services have in common? As Christopher Emdin says, they all hold the secret magic to enthrall and teach at the same time — and it's a skill we often don't teach to educators. A longtime teacher himself, now a science advocate and cofounder of Science Genius B.A.T.T.L.E.S. with the GZA of the Wu-Tang Clan, Emdin offers a vision to make the classroom come alive. "

Another Tedx:
Reality Pedagogy: Christopher Emdin at TEDxTeachersCollege

more on hip hop and scientific literacy here viewtopic.php?f=423&t=2546
I am only here a short time. Inshalla khair :) I love you all.
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Re: Christopher Emdin - Teach teachers how to create magic (2013)

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:29 pm

it makes me so happy that there are people out there pushing to make these kinds of changes in our education system.
and kind of jealous and wishing i could go back to grade school all over again to experience some of the new ways already being adopted. my best educators were indeed the ones who had that magic. they're extreme enthusiasm for their subject matter becomes infectious as they do end up more like storytellers and performers. i couldn't help but be swept up along with it! too many times though, the classroom fell flat. i ended up self-educating in a huge way, but not everyone naturally has the same kind of motivation, or even know what subjects enthrall them in the first place. but what i think helps is indeed the magic he is talking about...the spark that hits the mind and makes you CRAVE to know more! encourage kids to find and follow that. i was blessed to have the encouragement and at least those few really special teachers along the way. we need them to be the rule, not the exception!
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:38 pm

"Equity is not giving everyone the same thing... Equity is hearing somebody's voice about what it is they need."

wheww.. excellent! nuggets abound. this dude is passionate!

nice share Manny. and congratz on those training wheels! /bigsmile
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Manhal

Postby Manhal » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:38 am

Thank you ink. /blush
Manhal

Postby Manhal » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:41 am

NaranjaRa wrote:it makes me so happy that there are people out there pushing to make these kinds of changes in our education system.
and kind of jealous and wishing i could go back to grade school all over again to experience some of the new ways already being adopted. my best educators were indeed the ones who had that magic. they're extreme enthusiasm for their subject matter becomes infectious as they do end up more like storytellers and performers. i couldn't help but be swept up along with it! too many times though, the classroom fell flat. i ended up self-educating in a huge way, but not everyone naturally has the same kind of motivation, or even know what subjects enthrall them in the first place. but what i think helps is indeed the magic he is talking about...the spark that hits the mind and makes you CRAVE to know more! encourage kids to find and follow that. i was blessed to have the encouragement and at least those few really special teachers along the way. we need them to be the rule, not the exception!

I too am jealous sometimes. Today's classroom is so different from what I had, and I also sometimes wish I could have experienced all of this as a student. Students today are really solving some of the world's biggest problems, problems that we can't even anticipate yet.

Return to “Ted Talks- be inspired!”