JJ Abrams: the mystery box

Comment on our favorite Ted Talk Videos or share your own.
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

JJ Abrams: the mystery box

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:58 pm

The talk that introduced me to TED Talks. :)

Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:48 am

//bump so i remember to watch this tomorrow. we were ninjavideo ffs. o_O
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
MAK
grasshopper

Postby MAK » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:12 pm

JJ Abram's notion of the mystery box is one of the worst things that have happened to television.

"...sometimes the mystery is more important than the knowledge"

umm.. NO. I HATE YOU. The above quote gives uncreative writers a way out. He's litterally saying that you don't have to create great stories anymore, as long you create great cliffhangers... WTF?!??... I stopped watching this guy's work and anything that had "from the creators of LOST" in it, because I now KNOW there is no answer for the mysteries, ultimately rendering the mysteries boring and irrelevant. Some say LOST is mroe about the journey of the characters..uhmm, didn't feel like that to me. Felt like a show full of gimmicks designed to manipulate people into watching it. Sure, it had a couple of great Archs, but that's about it.

JJ Abram's ideology ultimately boils down to "as long as you are able to create awesome gimmicks, you're good to go!"... While creating awesome gimmicks is an artform in an on itself, it is also killing other, more profound art.
<3
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:27 pm

i got something from it.. the mystery box is also, a metaphor, for staying connected to hope, potential and infinite possibility.

:D
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

MAK
grasshopper

Postby MAK » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:20 am

I just hate it.. Why do I hate it??

I really feel lost betrayed me :(
<3
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:10 am

wow, let's see....

well, in regards to storytelling, personally i don't like to be "told" everything flat-out. i believe our imaginations can be and often ARE so much more satisfying than the actual "answers" to what's in question.

in regards to topics specific to JJ such as Lost...well, um, he didn't actually write what folks are all pissy about lol. yeah he came up with the initial IDEA and directed the pilot, but then he went along to other projects. so maybe remember that?

not to mention, i for one enjoyed fan theories and some of the ideas my own mind came up with to solve the "mysteries" far better than the answers that the Lost writers finally supplied. maybe that's the whole "journey" concept. the ride itself...talking and thinking and researching to come up with what we thought was going on was the fun of the series...not learning what was really going on (which was indeed mostly suckage supreme).

not sure why this had to become a "hate on JJ' thread, but um....maybe try to see the bigger picture here?

ink wrote:i got something from it.. the mystery box is also, a metaphor, for staying connected to hope, potential and infinite possibility.

:D

THANK YOU.
exactly!!

Return to “Ted Talks- be inspired!”