Do Schools Kill Creativity? | Sir Ken Robinson

Comment on our favorite Ted Talk Videos or share your own.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Do Schools Kill Creativity? | Sir Ken Robinson

Postby Corgimom » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:49 pm

Image Image
est 1953

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:56 am

Word this hits home.. 'children are born artists, the problem is remaining one thoughout adulthood. '-Picasso

I hope i quoted that right, but the point being, i think, is that we are being educated out of our creativity /imagination. This was funny, but there is a sobering undertone...we are being taught with a type of broken or restrictive framing. Teaching limitations cramps the child like boldness, inherent early on, which keeps us in a loop of failing before we start mentality. Good ted talk! Feel me twin... :D
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:30 pm

Beautiful, sad truths...
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:01 pm

find 40 minites and watch his other 2 talks- a little ways down the list.
Image Image
est 1953

Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:07 pm

I feel like I was lucky in this respect... My mother, being an artist herself, was very encouraging of me participating in the arts. Also, the school I went to for junior and senior high had a very good selection of arts classes and a large building dedicated to the vocational arts. While there was certainly still a much higher value put on things like math, and the standard classes, I never felt like my love for the arts was marginalized at school or at home... at least until I started wanting to explore things outside of my mothers interests and things the school didn't teach. I did go straight into college for graphic arts... All that being said though, I definitely agree with what was said in the talk.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious

Postby Feydakin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:08 pm

Corgimom wrote:find 40 minites and watch his other 2 talks- a little ways down the list.

I'm slowly working my way through them... luckily I've seen a lot of them already over the years. ;)
ImageImage
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Corgimom wrote:find 40 minites and watch his other 2 talks- a little ways down the list.

im on it right now, thnx for the reminder! ;)
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

anynoise
novice ninja

Postby anynoise » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:11 pm

I think it is teachers that mainly kill creativity. If a teacher can't accept that all questions have multiple valid responses...then they are not promoting individual learning practices or creative thinking. (Math may be the exception). As far as the structure of school and classes or knowledge offered, it's a bit shit all around. The fact is most jobs need you to be able to function in structured way of doing things that do not allow creativity. That is what schools think they are fostering. Again, you hear "think outside the box" almost as often.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." [em]~Mitch Hedberg[/em]
Manhal
ninja with training wheels

Re: Do Schools Kill Creativity? | Sir Ken Robinson

Postby Manhal » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:21 pm

Wonderful talk. Mr. Robinson is fantastic.
I am only here a short time. Inshalla khair :) I love you all.
Mr. 26
:-|

Re: Do Schools Kill Creativity? | Sir Ken Robinson

Postby Mr. 26 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Schools inhibit the human from becoming the truly enterprising and creative spirit that it inherently is

Return to “Ted Talks- be inspired!”