Do You Like COLORING BOOKS? Share Here!

Artist? Photographer? Editor? Find a home here. Post your work, offer advice, give your opinion, and just discuss in general.
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri May 20, 2016 5:24 am

There is apparently a world-wide shortage of color-pencils due to the ever-growing adult coloring books trend. I had thought this to be a mostly US phenomenon, but recent travels abroad proved otherwise. I've always been one to draw my own stuff to color, but I started perusing some books while in the town of Middleburg, NL, and some of the artwork I discovered was simply astounding. Naturally, I found myself coming home with my favorite one that features the most exquisite line-work (see post below).

So, do YOU enjoy "adult coloring books"? Tell about what got you into them, show off some of your work, post a wishlist of books you'd love to own, talk about materials and techniques....anything! <3
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri May 20, 2016 5:25 am

these are some scans from my Dutch coloring book! (it's cut off here & there because it's too big for the scanner but it gives you an idea :) )

each page has a large illustration / linework design, and the opposing page has the same design in a tiny size along with the name of the bird and some text (that i cannot read O_o)

this is the first one i'm coloring, in-progress

here are some additional pages to show the variety and how gorgeous the designs are! i just LOVE it!!! :D
[spoiler]

Image[/spoiler]
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Fri May 20, 2016 5:42 am

i love them when i actually sit down to do it. problem is I value electronics and gaming more than coloring now. but if I started, id finish and enjoy it again. It feels therepeutic and I suck at art, so to fill in someone elses takes all the pressure away.
Candeeoke
The Quiet Storm

Postby Candeeoke » Fri May 20, 2016 11:32 pm

I love them. I need to be able to color someone else's since I can't draw. I have 5 books right now. I'll have to scan and share a few. I've got gel pens, colored pencils, markers and crayons to use for them. So cathartic to just focus and color. We even do family coloring in the house. Kids and parents.
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat May 21, 2016 12:28 am

my favorite coloring technique since as long as i can remember is to lay down a base coat of color with marker. then i use color pencil to do detail work, blending, and shading. i just really like the look and the ease of having that flat base of color to start. it basically gives me 3 layers to do blending and detail work with versus just usually 2 using color pencils alone due to how the medium builds up on the page. does that make sense?

also, if you can get them on sale, the best color pencils in the world are the famous Prismacolor. you can normally find them in the Fine Arts area of craft stores. they have only become more expensive over time. i'm fortunate to have a case full leftover from more than 25 years of doing artwork. i use them down to there is nothing left, but that's because there is nothing like them!

Gwenno
Amigwenumi

Postby Gwenno » Sat May 21, 2016 7:49 am

I have one :) I bought it so we can colout along with Jesse. He doesn't reaaly like coloring alone, and we are 'done' with the childrens images to colot. So I bought one, Mike was really thankfulle LOL. I started a bit on the train when we were going to my mom. I bought a fairy tale book, so I can also tell the stories to Jesse. Multi purpose :)
I have this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6XNw9RVEy4

I love the birds book! Just give a howl, if you are really curious about the tekst. I am the Dutch whisperer right?
Btw, how did you like Middelburg? I originally come from Vlissingen and I worked in Middelburg.
Live today, 'cause if you don't, you might live to regret it.... Amanda Marshall
Image Image
Image Image
Spoiler: show
/anna hijack! :kiss:
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed May 25, 2016 1:19 am

Gwenno wrote:I have one :) I bought it so we can colout along with Jesse. He doesn't reaaly like coloring alone, and we are 'done' with the childrens images to colot. So I bought one, Mike was really thankfulle LOL. I started a bit on the train when we were going to my mom. I bought a fairy tale book, so I can also tell the stories to Jesse. Multi purpose :)
I have this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6XNw9RVEy4

I love the birds book! Just give a howl, if you are really curious about the tekst. I am the Dutch whisperer right?
Btw, how did you like Middelburg? I originally come from Vlissingen and I worked in Middelburg.

wow that's a beautiful book as well! and i had a hard time choosing mine...you have the best coloring books in the NL! :O

teehee "Dutch whisperer"! :D ok, i might one day just ask what the birds are...some of them i can guess like peacock but many i am curious about!

i enjoyed Middleburg a lot! it was a pleasant blend of the older type of architecture and vibe with more urban-feeling amenities. i didn't get to stay long, only a few hours, but i enjoyed shopping and walking around with my camera.

sadly, i seem to have lost all of the photos i took when i was there! that was the only batch...the ones i took in Middleburg so i am extra happy i have the coloring book to show for it!
Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Wed May 25, 2016 6:20 pm

I had to get the doctor who one
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu May 26, 2016 4:19 am

OMG I MUST HAVE THAT. :D
SoberJoe
ninja with training wheels

Postby SoberJoe » Thu May 26, 2016 5:07 am

My reccomendation for colored pencils would be these: Caran d'Ache Pablo Colored Pencils

While expensive, you can blend colors pretty easily. I used these in art school and they were wonderful (personally I liked them more than the prismas... I've never really thought of coloring books but if I did it would probably be this one... :D

/////////////////////////////////
SOBERJOE.NVC.IVB.KID.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu May 26, 2016 5:32 am

SoberJoe wrote:http://www.dick-blick.com/items/205/81/20581-1030-4-2ww-m.jpg
My reccomendation for colored pencils would be these: Caran d'Ache Pablo Colored Pencils

While expensive, you can blend colors pretty easily. I used these in art school and they were wonderful (personally I liked them more than the prismas... I've never really thought of coloring books but if I did it would probably be this one... :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YZa4qn2jL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

i dont think i've tried those. what is your take on them vs prismas? what makes them better in your experience? cuz eventually mine are going to be too tiny to use and i'll need new ones...expense is no issue when it comes to proper art supplies. ;)

i have used their pastels before and they were very nice. but i dont like pastels in general, so i never paid that brand much mind after that.

i also would've never touched a coloring book, but that one i got spoke to me. it's very pleasant to just color without needing to draw and when it comes to me and drawing i get super persnickity (read: anal retentive) which takes the relaxation part out of the equation most of the time. with a book, it's all of the fun without the worry, i suppose....

oh, and yeas....very nice book choice... :lol:
Gwenno
Amigwenumi

Postby Gwenno » Thu May 26, 2016 8:59 am

I'm almost afraid to tell you guys I use gelpens, cheap ones.
Live today, 'cause if you don't, you might live to regret it.... Amanda Marshall
Image Image
Image Image
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu May 26, 2016 10:27 am

hey at least you dont need to sharpen and always have a fine point! ;)

i wanted to use some markers but i tested one section and it bled through my pages. booooooo
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Thu May 26, 2016 5:33 pm

SoberJoe wrote: I've never really thought of coloring books but if I did it would probably be this one... :D

:lol:

*side note - id color with a rock and some pavement, if thats all i had lol
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Gwenno
Amigwenumi

Postby Gwenno » Thu May 26, 2016 8:39 pm

@Ink, and it would be awesome, probably. You are gifted!
Image Image
Image Image
SoberJoe
ninja with training wheels

Postby SoberJoe » Thu May 26, 2016 11:25 pm

NaranjaRa wrote:i dont think i've tried those. what is your take on them vs prismas? what makes them better in your experience?

Several years ago prismacolor changed where and how these were manufactured. Prismacolor has a very brittle lead. Which has always been true but the problem lies where they started using poor quality wood for their casings and overall quality control became non existent. The wood casings now are regularly warped and the leads are off centered more often than not, and the wood is prone to splitting when sharpened which is a drag. Also the lead will straight up fall out of the pencil. No dropping it literally out of the box and freshly sharpened.

// TL;DR: Prisma changed how they manufacturing the pencils making them worse. My suggestion is try the Luminance from Caran d’Ache.
/////////////////////////////////
SOBERJOE.NVC.IVB.KID.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Thu May 26, 2016 11:58 pm

SoberJoe wrote:
NaranjaRa wrote:i dont think i've tried those. what is your take on them vs prismas? what makes them better in your experience?

Several years ago prismacolor changed where and how these were manufactured. Prismacolor has a very brittle lead. Which has always been true but the problem lies where they started using poor quality wood for their casings and overall quality control became non existent. The wood casings now are regularly warped and the leads are off centered more often than not, and the wood is prone to splitting when sharpened which is a drag. Also the lead will straight up fall out of the pencil. No dropping it literally out of the box and freshly sharpened.

// TL;DR: Prisma changed how they manufacturing the pencils making them worse. My suggestion is try the Luminance from Caran d’Ache.

holy crap that's crazy....i had no idea. see, i started using them when i was in high school, so we're talking (much) more than *cough* 2 decades ago. the ones i still own...i'm pretty sure they're from way back then....because i KNOW i haven't bought a new one since before leaving college and that was in '97. so yeah, guess i better treat the ones i still have like GOLD cuz it sounds like they don't make them like they used to.... :(

thanks dude. see? all you natsayers and poo-pooers of the coloring. SEE HOW HELPFUL THIS THREAD BECAME? :lol: :P
Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Mon May 30, 2016 6:25 pm

I just borrow my sons Crayola's. I need to invest in some good pencils
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Tue May 31, 2016 6:11 am

lol anna.. what about conte crayons? those are the bizness for some neat shading.. :D

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Tue May 31, 2016 6:12 am

Or oil pastels!

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue May 31, 2016 6:02 pm

you know, i can't recall a lot of experience with conte crayons. it's been SO LONG since i used "proper" art supplies...pastels (oil or chalk...nope, can't stand 'em), charcoal (grrrrrrr), graphite, etc. honestly i'm too picky (OCD) for anything that does not allow a lot of control. pastels and charcoal...i can use them but don't particularly enjoy it.

plus all i have to do is look at a stick and in 2 minutes flat it's all over me from head to toe...on my clothes...in my hair... :lol: i'm messy as it is when i art, so i try to keep the um, 'self-painting' down to a minimum and use neat, controllable materials for the most part....hehehehe

except painting...i do love painting....

they need to make coloring books with slightly thicker pages so we can really get crazy with the mediums!
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:55 am

i was also thinking about the paper quality. if it is decent enough, the selection of mediums could be endless... :O

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:37 am

well, one could scan some linework and print it out on any kind of paper, really. i was considering watercolor paper....not because i like using watercolors (puke lol) but the paper has marvelous texture and can handle heavier mediums...

maybe when we make the Ninja Coloring Book we can get it printed on a nice weight paper :D
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:12 am

Worst.
Colouring Book.
Ever.
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:17 am

:lol:

Return to “Art and Editing”