Recommendation for my sister to get an LGBT Rights Fellowshi

Writers Rule... especially Ninja Writers.
ImmaculateStiletto
ninja with training wheels

Postby ImmaculateStiletto » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:08 pm

I have been out of college for a while yet here I am writing an recommendation for my sister to get av fellowship scholarship

To Whom It May Concern:
I could sit here and write page upon page about how Alex Gioiella, my younger sister is great, wonderful, a champion for the underdog, and go on and on for days, but I’m not. As I write this I realize that it is over ten years since I came out to her and her twin brother. They were the first people I told and I remember her exact words, “well the same thing goes for women that went for men, if one of them hurts you I’ll kill them.” You would have thought that I told them I just got a new pair of shoes, with how nonchalant they took the news. But as she explained to me later on, I was still her sister and nothing changed that.
Alex has always been a strong minded person who stands her ground no matter what. So when our mother found out and all hell broke loose, it didn’t surprise me that she went toe to toe with our mother in a heated argument. In her mind she just couldn’t understand how someone could turn on their own child so quickly over something like this. It was absolutely ridiculous to her and she wasn’t having it.

In all actuality everyone thought Alex was going to be a lesbian. She was the only girl on the peewee football team and the wrestling team. The thought of doing anything girly such as: going to the nail salon, getting her hair done, or wearing a dress made her want to throw up. There was a better chance of me winning the lottery before any of that happened. I on the other hand am the complete opposite of my sister (see included picture). People have actually thought that we were a lesbian couple, when we go out together. LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING! Assumptions can make a person feel so stupid. Yet when people say to her “oh I assumed you were a lesbian, I apologize,” she looks at them and goes, “why are you apologizing? Would you apologize if you assumed I was straight?” Stops and makes you think doesn’t it?

Let’s now fast forward to her college years. I decided to drop another bomb and let her know that I started dating a transman. Her response to me was that she and a friend decided to revamp the transgender organization on her college campus. I didn’t even know what to say, this young woman never ceased to amaze me. When I watched her get her diploma I had such a feeling of pride. She was not only a college graduate but she was one of only two people who were able to walk down the aisle with a rainbow tassel because of what she had accomplished during her time at school.

As kids we knew what it felt like to be bullied. Coming from a biracial family and being just a handful of black kids in our town, we knew the meaning of being ostracized, of being made to feel like you were less than the others. I’ve seen my sister struggle with it first hand to the point that I feared she would take her own life. Yet, she persevered and it is that strength that she uses to empower others around her. It is that strength that makes her stand up and fight for others who don’t have anyone in their corner. I have seen her figure out ways to give people a safe haven where they can feel protected and point them in the right direction for help. I am not surprised or shocked if I get a text from her asking if I know of anyone that a young LGBT person can speak with, or could I point her in the right direction.

Alex doesn’t fight for the LGBT community because of me; she fights for the LGBT community because it is the right thing to do. It just so happens that I belong to that community. As I write this I feel myself getting very emotional. It is the times when I have texted her because people can be so cruel, even family members in regards to my lifestyle and she tells me, “screw them; are you happy? Then that is all that matters.” It is the times I see her going back in forth in a heated debate with someone on social media about LGBT rights; those times that my chest puffs up and I want to scream from the mountain tops, “yeah that’s right that is my sister, Alexandra Gioiella.” We are all put here for a reason, and I truly believe that she was put here to be a fighter for those who cannot fight for themselves. She wants the “outcasts” as so many LGBT people have been made to feel, to know that there are people who are ready and willing to go up against the hatred and ignorance of the world so they don’t have to live in fear. She lives her life for her, not to fit in the little boxes that need to be checked off. So if that’s a bad ass motorcycle riding, tomboy, straight woman who fights for the LGBT to have rights, well then allow me to introduce you to one of the greatest and most inspirational women I know. My little sister Alexandra Lenora Nancy Gioiella!
Have a Blessed Day
Hugs N Kisses :)
Psy
Neck Veins & Deep Inner Bellows...

Postby Psy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:23 pm

Interesting, a very different approach to how you'd get a scholarship here. But if it works it works. Good luck.
Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:17 pm

I loved reading it. She deserves every good thing she can get. Please let me know if she gets the scholarship
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
ImmaculateStiletto

Postby ImmaculateStiletto » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:29 pm

Philly wrote:I loved reading it. She deserves every good thing she can get. Please let me know if she gets the scholarship

I sure will. She just got into law school and it is a fellowship in regards to the LGBT laws and rights. So what better way to approach it then to share how as an older sister that is part of the community has been effected. I sent it to her and told her if she didn't like it I can be way more formal. She emailed me back AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW. That's the asshole I know and love rofl!!!
Have a Blessed Day
ImmaculateStiletto

Postby ImmaculateStiletto » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:30 pm

Psy wrote:Interesting, a very different approach to how you'd get a scholarship here. But if it works it works. Good luck.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box and the scholarship was based on the LGBT Laws and rights as well as bullying and how important it is to the law school she just got in to. So why not use our personal life since we've lived it all.
Have a Blessed Day
ravenrussell
Keeper of Dark Mysteries..

Re:

Postby ravenrussell » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:43 pm

ImmaculateStiletto wrote:
Philly wrote:I loved reading it. She deserves every good thing she can get. Please let me know if she gets the scholarship

I sure will. She just got into law school and it is a fellowship in regards to the LGBT laws and rights. So what better way to approach it then to share how as an older sister that is part of the community has been effected. I sent it to her and told her if she didn't like it I can be way more formal. She emailed me back AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW. That's the asshole I know and love rofl!!!

What an exciting turn of events on this thread Stiletto. It sounds like your sister will be living a dream life, helping those less represented. Good on you, and it sounds like her too.

Peace.Don't.Stop.Writing. <3
Peace to all.
-Raven

Return to “Literature”