How to critique a poem

Writers Rule... especially Ninja Writers.
Candeeoke
The Quiet Storm

Postby Candeeoke » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:32 pm

I want to be able to help the amazing poets we have on the forum but don't feel particularly equipped to speak on poetry. This list is helpful. Please share if you have any other tips for critiquing poetry.

When you are in a dedicated poetry writing group, critiquing well is not such an issue because usually most members know the basics. However, in a mixed group of writers where maybe only two or three write poetry, it can be a challenge for the fiction and nonfiction writers to feel like they can say anything useful.

The key to a good poem is that every word should count, from start to finish. I also think a poem should have some kind of progression happening, a sense of movement forward for the reader rather than just a lump of words standing in one place.
The following tips and suggestions might be useful. These are ones I’ve used as the basis of workshopping in my classes for years, with some added extras.

Is it a good title? Does it add something more to the poem? Be wary of titles that are just labels (e.g. Sky or Daffodils) if there is the potential for something stronger. Using Poem or Sonnet etc as your title is a wasted opportunity.

Does the first line work? Does it pull the reader into the poem, make the poem inviting or engaging right from the start? Or is it a bit weak or explanatory?

Does the poem use strong language and imagery? Does it use strong, specific nouns and verbs, or does it over-rely on adjectives and adverbs? Does it create word pictures or ideas as you read it?

Do you feel fully engaged throughout the poem, or are there places where your attention drops? Are there wordy or slow parts that could be tightened?

Does the poet use metaphors and similes in original ways? Are they fitting to the poem’s subject or are they too ‘odd’? (i.e. the poet has tried too hard)

Do the line breaks work? Has the poet broken lines effectively for rhythm, sound and meaning? Often line breaks can work like punctuation – is that happening effectively? If there are lines carried over (enjambed) does this work?

Has the poet used stanza breaks? Do they work? Would the poem benefit from more or less stanza breaks?

Has the poet used white space effectively? Do you feel there is room for you as the reader to enter the poem?

Does the poem end strongly? What is the last line doing? Does it introduce something odd or irrelevant at the end? Does it leave you with something to think about?

Do you understand (more or less) what the poet is trying to tell you? Or is the poem too obscure or impenetrable? Does the poem excite or at least satisfy you?

Often I hear writers say it doesn’t matter to them if people don’t understand their poems. But if you want readers (and presenting your poems to a critique group implies you do) then you need to communicate to them effectively. If most of the people in the group can’t understand what you are on about, maybe you need to rethink what your poems are doing, and why.
If you have any more tips for critiquing poems, please do share!

ImageImage
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:07 pm

This is great. Will definitely have to start using this guide :)
Spoiler: show
Image Image
ravenrussell
Keeper of Dark Mysteries..

Postby ravenrussell » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:27 pm

Thank you, Candee, exceptional advice on critiquing. I will attempt to apply this to my future works. I have had difficulty editing my own works. Kerouac said, "First thought, best thought." I don't put myself in the same category as him, however. I believe all of the thousands of poems that I've written could benefit from writing group interaction and constructive editing. I need to re-read your post to get the most out of it, as it is meaty.
Peace to all.
-Raven
AliceElite
//wrestles darkness...WINS!

Postby AliceElite » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:10 pm

These are great questions to be asking - my poems have 6 or seven different versions, and I can tell which version it is by which stanzas are tweaked. ;) I'm definitely a 'play with line breaks' type of girl, who's struggled with doing revisions on her poetry because I didn't really know what to look for.

Thanks for this!
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:09 am

I keep trying to use less words to show you
Image Image
est 1953

ImmaculateStiletto
ninja with training wheels

Postby ImmaculateStiletto » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:48 am

All great questions! Majority of them I do ask myself. Sometimes I find that I have so many poems labelled untitled because I just let the words flow out and then don't even think about the title. Later on something will click in my giving a title to the piece.
Have a Blessed Day
Hugs N Kisses :)
ghostdogg
Rewind. Spit. Scratch. See Heaven.

Re:

Postby ghostdogg » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:46 am

Candee wrote:I want to be able to help the amazing poets we have on the forum but don't feel particularly equipped to speak on poetry. This list is helpful. Please share if you have any other tips for critiquing poetry.
[/quote]

Candee11!! <3

I loved this breakdown; I take shit in but would def have hard time describing how to do that!
Candeeoke
The Quiet Storm

Re: How to critique a poem

Postby Candeeoke » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Well I didn't come up with the guidelines but they seemed too amazing not to share. I love poetry but it also intimidates me.
ImageImage
rc44
ninja with training wheels

Re: How to critique a poem

Postby rc44 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:16 am

My writers, excited to read everything by you all

Return to “Literature”