Surviving Compton: The Michel'le Story

Stay informed with these less controversial but just as important news articles. If topics prove contentious they will be moved the debate area.
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Surviving Compton: The Michel'le Story

Postby ink » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:50 pm

trailer:

synopsis:
The story of R&B artist Michel'le, who rose to fame in the late 1980s when she signed on to Eazy-E's Ruthless Records.

full breakfast club interview:
Surviving Compton | Michel'le Talks Getting Beat Up By Dr Dre & Suge Knight + Having Their Children

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ok so first, a little context...

ive put this here under news and announcements, within the culture and debate section because this story is indicative of a larger narrative and should expand to reach out to broader discussions...

have you watched this? /nod yes?
/discuss
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Re: Surviving Compton: The Michel'le Story

Postby ink » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:55 pm

after having seen this movie and watch her interview... i believe her.

shouldve been called surviving dre /62
i cant even look at dre the same, sadly..

ahh wellp, lets get the memes out the way...

:lawl: ..kermit

Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:22 pm

I saw this being advertised on TV. I have been meaning to watch it. I think that it can possibly be a powerful story of how a woman was able to do great things within a community that many women of color do not discuss. I am not sure why it is not discussed, I remember when I was just a youngling and watching about the "video hoes" not my words, what I remember about the program. The other details were how women were treated horribly, sexually assaulted, and other mistreatments of their person. I am not sure of these women reasonings for being in the videos, but I hope that it did not come at the price of their own self-worth.

Since then I have been unable to watch music videos were there are half-naked dancing women. This is not just limited to male singers, but also female singers. They have also jumped on using female sexuality bandwagon in a negative light. I can hope that it may change or not, but likely not. Just due to the culture of the United States, especially when it comes to women of color. This show about a female rap star is a step in the right direction in ways that women of color are treated within an industry.
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:19 pm

she explains how niave she was, how disconnected she was, her upbringing, and that disconnect of living as normal. tbh she kind of owns it.. all in the docu and parts of the interview. its interesting.. there are 2 reasons why i believe this over the stories coming out of the deathrow camp.
the conviction in her statements and that she isnt out to gain anything from them (dre and suge), just her side. not something that most want to be brought to light, for obvious reasons..

you should check it out

Return to “In The News”