Esther Perel: Desire in a long-term relationship

Comment on our favorite Ted Talk Videos or share your own.
Charmosa
God

Esther Perel: Desire in a long-term relationship

Postby Charmosa » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:10 am

Take notes whether you are single or committed, this is good stuff. Her other talks are amazing as well. It has helped me understand relationships better and upped my ability to articulate what I knew through experience.

Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Re: Esther Perel: Desire in a long-term relationship

Postby Phara » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:03 pm

oooohhh... ok i'm watching but as i look back on my dismal attempts at relationships... i don't think I've ever been in something long term. I don't count college cuz i found out that fucker was cheating the whole time.

//watches
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:13 pm

"looking at your partner from a comfortable distance".... desire going up when watching your partner "holding court"... "there's no neediness in desire"

i love this and it's been something I struggled with ever since I became romantically active. I wonder if it's a problem that women tend to have a little more. As men get closer to me they tend to start trying to clamp down on my personality. Chaining me to some kind of fucking rock. Telling me to "CALM DOWN"... WTF? It's always the fact that i'm a little fireball that draws people to me, and then the minute I start to focus on them... it's what they want tempered. And quite frankly, it's the quickest way to lose me. That juxtapose that people want is infuriating. Be the fire that I desire but tone it down so that I dont get burned. Meh. Relationships are not something I am good at or understand.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:37 pm

i ended up watching another one of her talks instead and it had me in tears. damn, she has some amazing insight and ideas that i've never heard expressed before. she might be my new favorite love guru! thank you Charmosa!!!
Charmosa
God

Postby Charmosa » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:58 am

Phara wrote:"looking at your partner from a comfortable distance".... desire going up when watching your partner "holding court"... "there's no neediness in desire"

i love this and it's been something I struggled with ever since I became romantically active. I wonder if it's a problem that women tend to have a little more. As men get closer to me they tend to start trying to clamp down on my personality. Chaining me to some kind of fucking rock. Telling me to "CALM DOWN"... WTF? It's always the fact that i'm a little fireball that draws people to me, and then the minute I start to focus on them... it's what they want tempered. And quite frankly, it's the quickest way to lose me. That juxtapose that people want is infuriating. Be the fire that I desire but tone it down so that I dont get burned. Meh. Relationships are not something I am good at or understand.

I know, you are drawn to fires too, I can tell. But you can handle the heat. You need another fireball, not a moth.
Phara
The Glue To This Bitch!

Postby Phara » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:36 pm

<3 i heart you girl.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Image Image
ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:08 am

aah the fire.. could it be that the 'fire' devours all and yet is still left wanting? (rhetorical) ive had to come to terms with this, as ive had to control and suppress the fire within for that very reason. tricky. interesting tedtalk.
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Charmosa
God

Postby Charmosa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:08 am

UPDATE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UAg4Axhg6g

ESTHER PEREL: Avoid the most common argument patterns. Listen to it. Listen to it again. Play it on repeat--it's your new favorite song. Never stop trying to figure out to better communicate. That's why language is always changing.
Charmosa
God

Postby Charmosa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:55 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ99ACNrJOs
omg 18min mark the Brock Turner references... Tell it Esther!
Charmosa
God

Postby Charmosa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:07 am

23:00 YEss! Love a man for what he does for you, don't hate him for all the ways he fails as a woman.
Charmosa
God

Postby Charmosa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:13 am

28:00 Friendship parenting! Fuck yes for segmentation. There is no all-in-one that's also good.
Charmosa
God

Postby Charmosa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:18 am

31:00 Wow about the disruption of best friendship.
Charmosa
God

Postby Charmosa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:20 am

Holy shit 33, the running commentary I know is getting old but my mind is getting reminded of so many things.
Charmosa
God

Postby Charmosa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:33 am

42:00 desire is always about imagination. Anticipation. How can you continue to desire to travel after 20 years, but not your partner after 20 years?

Return to “Ted Talks- be inspired!”